Edmundson, Parayko, Fabbri, Upshall Make Club

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Edmundson, Parayko, Fabbri, Upshall Make Club

Post by cprice12 »

Parayko, Edmundson, Fabbri, Upshall make the club.
Rattie & Lindbohm sent to Chicago.
No word on Gomez yet.
Blues sign Upshall, keep Edmundson, Parayko
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... UA.twitter
By Tom Timmermann

The Blues pretty much made their season-opening roster decisions on Monday afternoon, signing one of their two players who were in camp on a professional tryout basis, forward Scottie Upshall, to a one-year, two-way contract and keeping two of their young defensemen.

The Blues sent defensemen Chris Butler and Petteri Lindbohm to Chicago, which means that Joel Edmundson and Colton Parayko made the 23-man opening night roster. The Blues also sent Magnus Paajarvi and Ty Rattie to Chicago. That move means that Robby Fabbri made the team and will get at least a nine-game look.

Lindbohm and Butler looked to be the sixth and seventh defensemen, in that order, at the start of camp, but the play of Edmundson and Parayko won them spots. Parayko had six assists in camp, putting him among the NHL leaders in the preseason.

Upshall will make a cap-friendly $700,000 in NHL, $200,000 if he goes to the AHL. Upshall was skating on Monday on the fourth line at practice on Monday in Ann Arbor, Mich., with a combination of Steve Ott, Kyle Brodziak and Ryan Reaves.

Teams have until 4 p.m. Central time on Tuesday to set their 23-man roster. No word yet on forward Scott Gomez, who was also in camp on a PTO.

Upshall, 31, appeared in 63 games with the Florida Panthers last season, posting 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) and 28 penalty minutes.

Upshall's signing puts the Blues at 13 forwards: Stastny, Tarasenko, Lehtera, Steen, Brouwer, Ott, Fabbri, Schwartz, Backes, Jaskin, Brodziak, Upshall, Reaves.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Opening Night Roster

Post by APOD »

http://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/651124996832538624 Not sure on lines but a guess imo

Steen-Statsny-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Lehtera-Schwartz
Jaskin-Backes-Brouwer
Ott/Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Edmunson/Gunnarson-Shattenkirk
Parayko-Bortuzzo

I'm thinking Allen Starts first game
Elliott starts on the road

Patrik Berglund will begin the year on injured reserve, and defenseman Dmitrii Sergeev will be returned to his junior team, the Kitchener Rangers, once he finishes rehabbing an injury with the Blues’ training staff
Last edited by APOD on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Edmundson, Parayko, Fabbri, Upshall Make Club

Post by cprice12 »

I merged our two threads together since they are essentially the same.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: Opening Night Roster

Post by Frusciante »

Am I crazy or doesn't the fact that they sent down both MPS and Rattie pretty much mean they'll also sign Gomez? The way it stands right now, they're at 22 players (13+7+2). If they weren't planning on signing Gomez, they probably would've kept maybe MPS or Lindbohm/Butler at the club, right?

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Yea we both posted at 3:15 lol
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Opening Night Roster

Post by APOD »

Frusciante wrote:Am I crazy or doesn't the fact that they sent down both MPS and Rattie pretty much mean they'll also sign Gomez? The way it stands right now, they're at 22 players (13+7+2). If they weren't planning on signing Gomez, they probably would've kept maybe MPS or Lindbohm/Butler at the club, right?
http://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/651125747118026752 :doh:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm simply shocked Rattie didn't make the team out of camp. Just trade the poor kid, he deserves better. I've said it repeatedly, his skill set won't fit in Hitch's system, ever. On many teams, he could score 25-30. With Hitch at the helm, IF he ever got regular duty on the team, he'd be lucky to score 10.

Also surprised about Lindbohm. I thought they'd carry one of Edmundson/Parayko/Lindbohm as the #7 but I guess it's about getting the right guys regular playing time and they didn't want one of them to sit on their asses 4 out of every 5 games when they can play nightly in Chicago.

Maybe Rattie+Lindbohm could be the beginning of a package to fetch something decent later on down the line. With the depth this team has on D now and in the very near future (Schmaltz, Vannelli) it's leaving very little room for a guy like Lindbohm when he's being jumped by Edmundson and Parayko.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Glad to see the kids given a chance. Hopefully a couple of them can seize it.

Surprised about Lindbohm. He outplayed some of the guys who will be with the team to start the season and yes, I mean Bouwmeester (and also Gunnarsson). But I guess we have to give the vets a chance to earn their salary. Still would like to see one of them traded. We'll see how this goes.

Rattie...yeah, he should be traded. I can't believe we'll be wasting our time with Upshall as well. Upshall, Ott, Brodziak on the same squad. I just don't see the point. It's striving for mediocrity with 25% of the forwards.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ecbm wrote:Glad to see the kids given a chance. Hopefully a couple of them can seize it.

Surprised about Lindbohm. He outplayed some of the guys who will be with the team to start the season and yes, I mean Bouwmeester (and also Gunnarsson). But I guess we have to give the vets a chance to earn their salary. Still would like to see one of them traded. We'll see how this goes.

Rattie...yeah, he should be traded. I can't believe we'll be wasting our time with Upshall as well. Upshall, Ott, Brodziak on the same squad. I just don't see the point. It's striving for mediocrity with 25% of the forwards.
I expect Lindbohm to be back with the team this year, I really think we will be trading Gunnarson it makes sense to do so at some point before the deadline as long as there are no injuries and the kids can keep form.

Fabbri is on a 9 game trial if he is deemed not ready Rattie will fill his space. Army said he told Rattie that he had a great camp but he was not going to play him on the 4th line and sees him as a top 9 forward. I agree, I would rather see Rattie in the AHL one more year than in the box or on the 4th line getting no minutes.

I hope they just role with 22 and depth and leave that extra spot for when Berglund returns. Who I think they will play then try and move at the deadline as well.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

I would have rather kept Porter or Cracknell than sign Upshall.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kreegz2 wrote:I would have rather kept Porter or Cracknell than sign Upshall.
Personally, I'm fine with it. Any new blood on this team is a good thing in my opinion.

And I'll bet you he has more points this year than friggin Steve Ott.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The Blues 4th line is still wasted minutes.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

glen a richter wrote:I'm simply shocked Rattie didn't make the team out of camp. Just trade the poor kid, he deserves better. I've said it repeatedly, his skill set won't fit in Hitch's system, ever. On many teams, he could score 25-30. With Hitch at the helm, IF he ever got regular duty on the team, he'd be lucky to score 10.

Also surprised about Lindbohm. I thought they'd carry one of Edmundson/Parayko/Lindbohm as the #7 but I guess it's about getting the right guys regular playing time and they didn't want one of them to sit on their asses 4 out of every 5 games when they can play nightly in Chicago.

Maybe Rattie+Lindbohm could be the beginning of a package to fetch something decent later on down the line. With the depth this team has on D now and in the very near future (Schmaltz, Vannelli) it's leaving very little room for a guy like Lindbohm when he's being jumped by Edmundson and Parayko.
I'm not happy with Lindbohm going down. He's more NHL-ready than Edmundson, who was still making rookie errors. I also don't like Rattie being sent down. The Blues need to see how well he plays on The NHL level, to decide if they should keep him, or showcase him for trade, so they can get some value back for him (as he'll be waiver eligible next season).

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

APOD wrote:when Berglund returns. Who I think they will play then try and move at the deadline as well.
With that contract and a NTC-good luck there.
theohall wrote:The Blues 4th line is still wasted minutes.
Truth. Rolling with that line is basically punting on scoring for 10-14 minutes of every game.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ecbm wrote:
APOD wrote:when Berglund returns. Who I think they will play then try and move at the deadline as well.
With that contract and a NTC-good luck there.
I'm sure we will eat some salary, but the NTC just limits teams, its not a full no movement. He will submit a list of places he doesn't want to play and I hope we can make it work from there.
Robb_K wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I'm simply shocked Rattie didn't make the team out of camp. Just trade the poor kid, he deserves better. I've said it repeatedly, his skill set won't fit in Hitch's system, ever. On many teams, he could score 25-30. With Hitch at the helm, IF he ever got regular duty on the team, he'd be lucky to score 10.

I'm not happy with Lindbohm going down. He's more NHL-ready than Edmundson, who was still making rookie errors. I also don't like Rattie being sent down. The Blues need to see how well he plays on The NHL level, to decide if they should keep him, or showcase him for trade, so they can get some value back for him (as he'll be waiver eligible next season).
I'm still not convinced we are keeping Fabbri up past 9 games and if we don't Rattie will get the call up.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'll say it a million times more, you have to trade Rattie if you're not playing him. Now we'll see what happens with Fabbri, but what if he plays lights out? I don't think the 9 games makes a difference, he's not in juniors. He doesn't have to stay with the big club if he doesn't get returned after 9 games. It seems more to me like Fabbri just had a better camp. Someone pointed out that Army said he didn't want Rattie playing on the 4th line, feeling he's a top 9 guy. If that's the reality, he'll never crack the club because if you factor in Schwartz, Lehtera, Tarasenko, Stastny, Jaskin and Fabbri those are 6 guys not going away. A space for Rattie may exist next season, but not if Steen, Berglund and Barbashev are all on the team.

I'd be offering Gunnarsson, Rattie and one of the young goalies (Husso, maybe?) and see what can transpire from a package like that. A team like the Devils or maybe the Hurricanes would jump at a package like that.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:... Someone pointed out that Army said he didn't want Rattie playing on the 4th line, feeling he's a top 9 guy...
And thus the flawed thinking with Army and Hitchcock. Instead of building a 4th line which is skillful with guys like Rattie, we get the wasted 4th line minutes from Reaves, Ott, Upshall :roll: , and whom the heck ever.

Build 4 good lines, instead of 3 good lines and a next to zero chance of scoring line and roll them evenly. It would keep every line fresher, reduce wear and tear over the long season, and actually put pressure on opponents which have the crappy 4th lines. Heck, Reaves with his speed and hitting could fit in on a more skillful line, but no way in heck do Ott or Upshall fit at all.

But that won't happen under Hitchcock and Army who still think this game is played in the 2000 era when a checking line was necessary.

:( to this concept never happening, even though the talent is in the system.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
glen a richter wrote:... Someone pointed out that Army said he didn't want Rattie playing on the 4th line, feeling he's a top 9 guy...
And thus the flawed thinking with Army and Hitchcock. Instead of building a 4th line which is skillful with guys like Rattie, we get the wasted 4th line minutes from Reaves, Ott, Upshall :roll: , and whom the heck ever.

Build 4 good lines, instead of 3 good lines and a next to zero chance of scoring line and roll them evenly. It would keep every line fresher, reduce wear and tear over the long season, and actually put pressure on opponents which have the crappy 4th lines. Heck, Reaves with his speed and hitting could fit in on a more skillful line, but no way in heck do Ott or Upshall fit at all.

But that won't happen under Hitchcock and Army who still think this game is played in the 2000 era when a checking line was necessary.

:( to this concept never happening, even though the talent is in the system.
Sounds a lot like something I said a long time ago... our 4th line is the worst, most useless 4th line in the NHL. Anyone who disagrees is stuck in the past.

May I suggest down the line a 4th line of Rattie, Barbashev, Descheneau? Got some wicked speed there, not a big line but a fast line that can throw fits at opposing defenses.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

http://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/651774418717270016 http://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/651781161002274816

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:I'll say it a million times more, you have to trade Rattie if you're not playing him. Now we'll see what happens with Fabbri, but what if he plays lights out? I don't think the 9 games makes a difference, he's not in juniors. He doesn't have to stay with the big club if he doesn't get returned after 9 games. It seems more to me like Fabbri just had a better camp. Someone pointed out that Army said he didn't want Rattie playing on the 4th line, feeling he's a top 9 guy. If that's the reality, he'll never crack the club because if you factor in Schwartz, Lehtera, Tarasenko, Stastny, Jaskin and Fabbri those are 6 guys not going away. A space for Rattie may exist next season, but not if Steen, Berglund and Barbashev are all on the team.

I'd be offering Gunnarsson, Rattie and one of the young goalies (Husso, maybe?) and see what can transpire from a package like that. A team like the Devils or maybe the Hurricanes would jump at a package like that.
Which adds a further incentive to trading Berglund even if he plays well this season. It's more the spot he's occupying than anything.

Blues also have an interesting decision to make with Backes this offseason. Given the obvious lack of a contract extension the Blues apparently want to see how he performs and leads this team for the fourth go-round :roll: before they offer him an extension... which I am totally in support of.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk