GDT #1: 10/8/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Oilers | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #1: 10/8/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Oilers | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

OILERS (0-0-0) at BLUES (0-0-0)

TV: SN360, FS-MW

Season series: The St. Louis Blues swept three games from the Edmonton Oilers in 2014-15, including a 2-1 victory at Edmonton in the most recent matchup on March 1. The Blues have won six straight against the Oilers and 11 of the past 12. The Blues outscored the Oilers 10-6 last season, and right wing Vladimir Tarasenko led St. Louis with two goals and two assists. The Blues won both games at Scottrade Center.

Oilers team scope: The Connor McDavid era begins for the top pick of the 2015 NHL Draft, who will make his NHL debut. "I feel a little bit comfortable right now with the preseason and all that, but at the same time it's going to be different when the real thing happens," McDavid told the Edmonton Journal. "Obviously it goes up a couple of notches." The Oilers head into a new season with new leadership (Bob Nicholson as CEO and Peter Chiarelli as president of hockey operations and general manager) and a new coach (Todd McLellan). They will not have a captain but announced four alternates Wednesday: defenseman Andrew Ference, who wore the "C" last season, and forwards Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Forward Matt Hendricks will wear an 'A' in the absence of Eberle, who is sidelined 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury. … Cam Talbot, signed in the offseason to be the No. 1 goalie, gets the start.

Blues team scope: Rookie left wing Robby Fabbri and defenseman Colton Parayko will make their respective NHL debuts on Thursday, according to coach Ken Hitchcock. It's not yet been determined if defenseman Joel Edmundson will make his NHL debut. Hitchcock said he's not opposed to playing Parayko and Edmundson together. "I kind of would like to see what the opponent brings forward, but the three guys that are in line for there are Parayko, Edmundson and [Robert] Bortuzzo," Hitchcock said. "I want to see what Edmonton brings forward." … The Blues signed veteran center Scott Gomez to a one-year contract. They placed center Patrik Berglund, who had shoulder surgery Aug. 25, on long-term injured reserve. He is not expected to play until January. … Hitchcock said goalie Brian Elliott gets the opening night nod; Jake Allen will play Saturday against the Minnesota Wild.
As the St. Louis Blues try to turn the page on another disappointing ending, the Edmonton Oilers embark on their latest new beginning.

There's reason to believe this rebuild will work out better than ones past, however.

Phenom Connor McDavid's NHL debut takes center stage as the Oilers open the Todd McClellan era with Thursday's visit to the defending Central Division champion Blues.

Edmonton (24-44-14) enters 2015-16 with the league's longest playoff absence at nine seasons but struck gold in April's Draft Lottery, obtaining the No. 1 overall pick despite finishing with the third-worst record and using it on McDavid, the consensus best prospect to come out of the junior ranks since Sidney Crosby. The 18-year-old will center the second line alongside Taylor Hall, another of the four No. 1 overall selections made by the Oilers since 2010 on the current roster.

McDavid is the headliner of a slew of new faces both on the ice and in the front office after Edmonton's latest makeover. Former Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson took over as head of hockey operations in April and brought in former Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli as the new GM. McClellan was subsequently named head coach shortly after parting ways with the San Jose Sharks after a mostly successful seven-year run.

McClellan's San Jose teams went to consecutive Western Conference finals in 2009-10 and 2010-11 and reached the playoffs six straight years before missing out in 2014-15. His tenure was marred by three straight early playoff exits between 2012-14, a concept St. Louis (51-24-7) has become all too familiar with in recent years.

The Blues have been bounced in the first round three straight seasons despite holding home-ice advantage in each series, last falling to Minnesota in six games following a 109-point campaign to match Anaheim for most in the West.

''We're all disappointed, everybody can agree on that,'' defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. ''It's never easy to kind of think about your failures, but we grow every time it happens.

The latest playoff failure still triggered few personnel changes, the most notable being July's trade of popular forward T.J. Oshie to Washington for veteran wing Troy Brouwer and the departure of longtime defenseman Barret Jackman, the franchise's career leader in games played.

Dynamic forward Vladimir Tarasenko, tied for fifth in the NHL with 37 goals last season, remains part of the core after signing an eight-year, $60 million contract in July.

St. Louis stuck with its solid but unspectacular goaltending tandem of Brian Elliott and Jake Allen, with Elliott slated to start the opener.

The Oilers made a host of offseason revisions in an effort to upgrade a defense that yielded a league-high 276 goals, signing Andrej Sekera to a six-year, $33 million deal and acquiring fellow defenseman Eric Gryba and goaltender Cam Talbot in trades.

Talbot gets its first shot at a No. 1 gig after going 33-15-5 with a 2.00 goals-against average over two seasons as Henrik Lundqvist's backup with the New York Rangers, highlighted by a strong two-month stint last winter with Lundqvist sidelined by a neck injury.

''I thought he was resilient,'' Chiarelli said. ''I thought he played well, and really didn't panic in his play; didn't overextend himself.''

Both teams will begin the season without a key forward. Edmonton's Jordan Eberle, last season's team leader with 63 points, is expected to miss four to six weeks with a shoulder injury while St. Louis' Patrik Berglund will be sidelined until January following shoulder surgery.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #1: 10/8/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Oilers | FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

About damn time. Let's start this season off right.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oilers (McDavid) 8
Blues 6

Following a game where Hitch let the offense do their thing and still lost, we see 81 subsequent 1 goal, low scoring affairs.

Also, on what planet is Patrik Berglund a "key forward"? These guys ever watch the man play?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

10-08-15-oilers.png
10-08-15-oilers.png (85.02 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Weird feeling that hockey is back.

I unfortunately think McDavid will get his first career goal of the 500+ he'll score in this league against us...

Blues 3
Oil 2

Stastny has a strong game and gets two helpers
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:Also, on what planet is Patrik Berglund a "key forward"? These guys ever watch the man play?
I find that a grandiose misperception of Berglund's role on this club is the clearest sign that someone writing about the Blues actually knows nothing about the team.

I'm really hoping someone can give McDavid a nice "welcome" to the league. (Frank) him, and (Frank) his hype. Earn your keep, Ott...

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote: I unfortunately think McDavid will get his first career goal of the 500+ he'll score in this league against us...
If he does, he will have accomplished in his first NHL game something the Sid-god has never done.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Morning skate lines.

Couple things: So much for Backes on the wing, apparently. That said, that 3rd line could be NASTY.

Rookies paired up on D? Hmm...
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/652144109243645955 https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/652144446356611072

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

:shock: Two rookies on the third pair......you reckless son of a bitch.

For all the talk about how we haven't changed enough those top 3 lines look very different from last year to me. Hope these work and Hitch decides to not get the itch to juggle lines all year. :roll:
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

APOD wrote::shock: Two rookies on the third pair......you reckless son of a bitch.
I mentioned this on our podcast...how long before we see them paired together. I guess the answer is, not long. :lol:
APOD wrote:For all the talk about how we haven't changed enough those top 3 lines look very different from last year to me.
All of "the talk" about how this team hasn't changed much from last year, is just that..."talk". This team is substantially different than last year in personnel and in the system they will play.
Now...how long things stay that way is anyone's guess.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Schwartz will make Fabbri better, faster, which in turn will make Lehtera even better. Stastny will make Tarasenko better than he already is. I approve of the first two lines. The 3rd line is pretty good, but that 4th line... :facepalm: useless as usual, par for the course I guess.

I like the bold move to pair Edmundson and Parayko. I think Parayko is wise beyond his years and will effectively be acting the role of the veteran presence on that pairing. He'll make Edmundson better, and both can snipe for sure. Could see then put up a lot of points between them if they're allowed to stay together.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Like the lineups - except the waste of a 4th line, still.

It looks like 3 rookies all getting significant ice time, which has not been the case under Hitch historically.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm curious to see what kind of dimension Brodziak brings. I feel like he's a decent 4th liner, at least what I've seen of him.

Ott is just....Ott.

Reaver I like but he's hit his ceiling, so we know what he's going to be.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

How are these guys going to play to their full potential if they aren't being sponsored by LGB'ers? Where is the sponsorship thread?!? :aaaa:

Anyway, HOCKEY!!!!! LET'S GO BLUES!
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

dmiles2186 wrote:I'm curious to see what kind of dimension Brodziak brings. I feel like he's a decent 4th liner, at least what I've seen of him.

Ott is just....Ott.

Reaver I like but he's hit his ceiling, so we know what he's going to be.
I really liked what I saw of Brodziak I like him better than say Goc or Lapierre.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:How are these guys going to play to their full potential if they aren't being sponsored by LGB'ers? Where is the sponsorship thread?!? :aaaa:

Oh yeah... :wink:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cprice12 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:How are these guys going to play to their full potential if they aren't being sponsored by LGB'ers? Where is the sponsorship thread?!? :aaaa:

Oh yeah... :wink:
:lol:

Meh, sponsorship hasn't helped us so far...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

All right Boyz let's drill some oil...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues have been a bit sloppy, but have carried the play so far. Parayko looks very poised,as usual.