Round 1 : St. Louis v Chicago

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who wins the series?

Blues in 4
No votes
Blues in 5
22%
Blues in 6
33%
Blues in 7
No votes
Blackhawks in 4
No votes
Blackhawks in 5
No votes
Blackhawks in 6
44%
Blackhawks in 7
No votes

Total votes: 9

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Round 1 : St. Louis v Chicago

Post by midgensa »

theohall wrote:
midgensa wrote:Long time lurker and rare poster here ... but can you fellas please assure me ...

This is the year ... right? We are going to beat the Blackhawks! Right?

I am an avid sports fan, but there is NOTHING like playoff hockey, it would be nice to experience it for a year without the heartbreak at the end.
1) Defense is better than last season thanks to the new blood in Parayko and Edmundson. Parayko in almost any other year would be top ROY candidate. Edmundson has improved all season and no longer looks like a rookie since they paired him with Pietrangelo when Bouwmeester was out.

2) Goaltending is solid no matter what some morons might say elsewhere. Elliott finished tied for 2nd in GAA (would have been first without that horrible Caps game to end the season) and 1st in Save Percentage. Meanwhile, Allen tied for 2nd in shutouts. Assuming Allen is fine, the Blues have an outstanding starter in Elliott and a starting caliber backup in Allen. This is the year Elliott gets the reins from the word go, finally.

3) Scoring: Opening the season, Blues were scoring 4 goals per game until the injuries hit. Once Schwartz returned, that same 3+ goals per game continued, even without Steen, through the end of the season. If that scoring carries over, which has been the issue since Hitchcock took over - lack of playoff scoring, the Blues should beat the Blackhawks in the first round.

IMO, the only thing which could hold the Blues back - Hitchcock not trusting everyone to play by relying too much on Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester while not playing Parayko enough, and over-reliance on 4th line players which would be the case when Ott returns. Fabbri deserves more ice time than 4th liners and sometimes he got it later in the season. That needs to be the undoubted case in the playoffs.
Thanks for your assurances!

I agree heavily with the Parayko and Edmundson sentiments and I feel like our ability to get goals from a number of different guys is a huge advantage that we have not really had before.

It is just ... the Blackhawks. I am a firm believer in becoming the best by beating the best, but going through the Blackhawks is tough. I WANT to be the team that does it and think this could finally be our chance.

I also have been worried that Hitch will not back the right guys at the right time. I have faith in him as a coach, but feel that he gets as tight as any players when the playoffs come around. He needs to trust the younger guard. They are the difference makers.

Lets. Go. Blues!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

midgensa wrote:Long time lurker and rare poster here ... but can you fellas please assure me ...

This is the year ... right? We are going to beat the Blackhawks! Right?

I am an avid sports fan, but there is NOTHING like playoff hockey, it would be nice to experience it for a year without the heartbreak at the end.
Every team faces heartbreak at the end...except for one.
It would just be nice if the heartbreak didn't come for at least a few rounds this year...or better yet, not at all. :okman:

I am oddly confident.
Maybe it's just the anticipation...but they are playing very well right now, they are 100% healthy for the first time all season, our goaltending should be solid, and our goal scoring has been fantastic since the trade deadline.

Chicago is going to be tough. Panarin and Kane especially. But it will be interesting to see if Panarin's fantastic rookie season can translate to playoff hockey. How will he handle it? I'm guessing fine, but you never know. There have been some fantastic players in the NHL who can't seem to produce in the playoffs when things get exponentially harder.

I think Crawford is the wild card.
I think we know what we are going to get from Elliott. But if Crawford stands on his head, I'm worried because of the offense that Chicago can put out there. But...I do think Crawford has to be fantastic for the Hawks to win this series...just like Elliott has to be fantastic for the Blues to win. And if it comes down to Crawford & Elliott, I'm going with Elliott. He has been much better this year and Crawford is coming off an injury and looked bad in his return to the lineup at the end of the season. And while Crawford has had playoff success, I don't think anyone would be surprised if he has an up and down series.

With Panarin & Kane, man... Panarin loves the one timer on the weak side. If the Blues can shut that option down and take away set plays like that, that obviously bodes well for us. But with those two, it's going to be a "bend but don't break" and "whether the storm" mindset every shift. It also wouldn't hurt to put Panarin on his ass early on a couple times. 8)

:letsgoblues:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A lot of us were confident last season, I remember. We know how that ended.

I'll reserve confidence for when they have a 5 goal lead late in the deciding SCF game.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

sseagle wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
fargoblues wrote:Secord sucks. Blues in 6. That is all.

The Second Prodigal Son has returned!
Don't piss your pants, act like you've been here before.
RIP Fargo
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Any word on the line combinations yet?

My assumption...

Schwartz- Lehtera- Tarasenko
Fabbri- Stastny- Brouwer
Berglund- Backes- Steen
Upshall/Brodziak/Ott/Reaves

?

Bouwmeester- Pietro
Edmundson- Shattenkirk
Gunnarsson- Parayko

?

Though Edmundson was playing with Shatty to end the season and Parayko was bumped to the third pairing which IMHO would be a mistake. Give the kid the minutes, he's earned it
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:over-reliance on 4th line players which would be the case when Ott returns.
If Ott dresses for any significant portion of this series, the Blues are doomed. Not because of him exactly but because of the approach his inclusion implies. I don't get some Blues fans' enthusiasm about the guy. He's paid $1M more than Upshall and Brodziak to be no more productive but to take a bunch of stupid penalties. And seriously, don't bring up agitating. It helped not at all against MIN last year.
cprice12 wrote:I am oddly confident.
It's never odd for you to be confident in this team, Curt! :lol:
theohall wrote:If that scoring carries over, which has been the issue since Hitchcock took over - lack of playoff scoring, the Blues should beat the Blackhawks in the first round.
This is the key. Between '12-13 and '13-14, the Blues played 12 playoff games and scored 24 goals-2 per game. They were a little better last year with 14 in 6, mainly due to Tank's strong showing. Schwartz, Backes and Steen (13G/21P in 78 playoff games) need to finally show up on the score sheet. Otherwise, the Blues are cooked.

Oh, dag-just realized Brouwer has 7/19 in 78 playoff games... :facepalm:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ecbm wrote:Oh, dag-just realized Brouwer has 7/19 in 78 playoff games... :facepalm:
While Oshie's 5/4 in 30 didn't help much either. Hopefully, the Fabbri factor will help up Brouwer's playoff game.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season