Lead-up to the trade deadline thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Lead-up to the trade deadline thread

Post by theohall »

Thorburn put on waivers.

2 awful off-season signings both put on waivers this season. (Bennett and Thorburn).
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote:Thorburn put on waivers.

2 awful off-season signings both put on waivers this season. (Bennett and Thorburn).
What was the deal with Prosser? Did we waive him, or did we try to send him down and he got claimed? Regardless, that was another short-lived experiment.

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

gaijin wrote:
theohall wrote:Thorburn put on waivers.

What was the deal with Prosser? Did we waive him, or did we try to send him down and he got claimed? Regardless, that was another short-lived experiment.
We waived him, Minnesota claimed him. Not sure we waived with the intent of sending him to the minors.

At least we still have Chris Butler.
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm not especially sure what direction Armstrong is planning to go over the next 3 hours. It's been a quiet day thus far, but after witnessing the spiral of this team and the clear lack of leadership, I wouldn't even be against him getting rid of Pietrangelo. This is a one line team and if Tarasenko-Schenn-Schwartz are cold, the team is cold. It doesn't help that Edmundson is out, but the same excuse was used when Schwartz was out (by me and others) and it's time to put those excuses to sleep. On this current roster, my only untradeables are the aforementioned four players plus Parayko and Dunn.

In the spirit of the deadline day being here, I'l throw out another one of my "out there" ideas:

To NYI: Pietrangelo, Fabbri, Thompson, Early-ish round pick
To STL: Tavares, De Haan, Late round pick
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Stastny to Jets for 1st, 4th and Erik Foley.

Erik Foley still hasn't signed an Entry Level Contract, so becomes an unrestricted free agent if not signed by the time he graduates from Providence. Why would he bother signing an ELC if he can sign with anyone who will have him when he graduates? More of an agitator type player.

Blues are selling. No need to worry about rentals if they are selling. This is the right thing to do given the lack of offensive depth from this current roster.

Now flip Sobotka, Berglund and Bouwmeester for future considerations.

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

theohall wrote:Stastny to Jets for 1st, 4th and Erik Foley.

Erik Foley still hasn't signed an Entry Level Contract, so becomes an unrestricted free agent if not signed by the time he graduates from Providence. Why would he bother signing an ELC if he can sign with anyone who will have him when he graduates? More of an agitator type player.

Blues are selling. No need to worry about rentals if they are selling. This is the right thing to do given the lack of offensive depth from this current roster.

I am hoping that was one less dissenting voice in the locker room, but there needs to be more "meat on the burner".
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

theohall wrote:Stastny to Jets for 1st, 4th and Erik Foley.

Holy cow! Don’t know what is biggest surprise army dealing him, stastny waiving his no trade; or getting a first for him. Have to say army at least getting clues into a bit of reality. Now if he’ll only start realizing speed and skill are more important than size
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Rumor is still going around Blues trying to acquire Hoffman. Moving Stastny and acquiring those picks make it more of a possibility.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Getting that 1st rounder was huge because it opens up a lot of other doors... including Tavares. I'd be just as happy if they held onto that pick though, getting what they got for an obvious rental is nice. What's the deal with the conditional pick? Stastny re-signs with Winnipeg as a FA? Foley doesn't sign an ELC?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The 4th round pick in the Stastny deal is Conditional. If Foley signs with the Blues, no 4th round pick. If Foley doesn't sign, Blues get Jets 2020 4th round pick.

Conditions on the 1st Rd pick - if Jets pick is 1-3 this season (which it won't be), pick would be in 2019. Otherwise, 1st round pick is 2018.

I don't see Foley as being a significant player and would probably keep the draft pick.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I just read up on Foley a bit. Take the pick.

Chicago also landed Nashville's 1st rounder in a deal. What I'm learning here between these two trades and the Rangers getting a 1st rounder for Nash, is that the going price for rentals now includes 1st rounders, at a minimum. For a guy under contract, that price has to go up.

Moral of the story? Sell off parts right now and stock up on 1st rounders, then attempt to flip those 1st rounders before 3 PM for an impact player that can help out long term, OR keep them and draft accordingly or trade at the draft. Goodbye Bouwmeester, Berglund, Steen, Gunnarsson. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they were all gone by 3 PM and we had at least another 1st round pick in the bank. Heck, trade Allen too! He's got to be worth a 1st round pick from someone.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Surprised to see Stastny as the first to go.

Since they traded him to a direct division rival, I'm guessing this means the Blues' front office is calling this season done.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:...Sell off parts right now and stock up on 1st rounders, ... keep them and draft accordingly or trade at the draft. Goodbye Bouwmeester, Berglund, Steen, Gunnarsson. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they were all gone by 3 PM and we had at least another 1st round pick in the bank. Heck, trade Allen too! He's got to be worth a 1st round pick from someone.
This is what I think should happen. It's time for the full-on rebuild at the forward position focused on skill not size. I'd even consider moving Pietrangelo with the way he's played the past 3 months. After playing like a true Norris Trophy Candidate to start the season, he's turned into a liability - especially on the power play.

Pietrangelo plus whomever for Karlsson and Bobby Ryan (Ottawa is insisting on Ryan being part of the deal) and re-sign Karlsson ASAP. Bring on the kids next season to re-tool the forward group.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:Surprised to see Stastny as the first to go.

Since they traded him to a direct division rival, I'm guessing this means the Blues' front office is calling this season done.
Considering this team was swept by Nashville being outscored 12-4 in 4 games and the playoffs will almost certainly go through Nashville, they have to re-tool to make themselves competitive with the Predators. Might as well sell.

If they bring in Hoffman, though, it's unnecessary desperation.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

theohall wrote:
glen a richter wrote:...Sell off parts right now and stock up on 1st rounders, ... keep them and draft accordingly or trade at the draft. Goodbye Bouwmeester, Berglund, Steen, Gunnarsson. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they were all gone by 3 PM and we had at least another 1st round pick in the bank. Heck, trade Allen too! He's got to be worth a 1st round pick from someone.
This is what I think should happen. It's time for the full-on rebuild at the forward position focused on skill not size. I'd even consider moving Pietrangelo with the way he's played the past 3 months. After playing like a true Norris Trophy Candidate to start the season, he's turned into a liability - especially on the power play.

Pietrangelo plus whomever for Karlsson and Bobby Ryan (Ottawa is insisting on Ryan being part of the deal) and re-sign Karlsson ASAP. Bring on the kids next season to re-tool the forward group.
Would love that Ottawa trade, but have to get rid of Berglund and Sobotka to make it economically feasible. I got blasted on another site for pushing that one. Everyone is terrified of Ryan's contract, but I pointed out, he isn't very old. Plus guy scores alot of PP goals.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

tjk002 wrote:
theohall wrote:

Would love that Ottawa trade, but have to get rid of Berglund and Sobotka to make it economically feasible. I got blasted on another site for pushing that one. Everyone is terrified of Ryan's contract, but I pointed out, he isn't very old. Plus guy scores alot of PP goals.
Don't some of these guys have NTCs? Hope that's not standing in the way.

Starting to get a little nervous. If the only move we make is trading Stastny, we've fallen far short of addressing this team's shortfalls.
Last edited by gaijin on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Part of the problem is who would want to take on a Steen, Berglund, or Sobotka contract given the way they aren't performing. Same thing with Bouwmeester. While the dudes on NHL Radio seem to be in love with Bouwmeester, he's not worth the contract and apparently, they haven't watched enough Blues games to see how often he isn't playing well and flat out getting beat by younger, faster players.

Per Rutherford's article after the Nashville game, Brodziak not knowing what to do to fix the Blues issues - isn't that the coach's job? Shouldn't the coach be addressing the issues? It's almost like there is too much being put on the players to fix their own issues, instead of, you know, changing the broken system.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The San Jose Sharks have acquired star winger Evander Kane from the Buffalo Sabres for a conditional first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick, and a prospect, reports Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

So that's the going price for high-end rentals.

Conditional 1st, Conditional 4th, plus a prospect.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

One other rumor - Matt Murray was reportedly injured in practice and Penguins might be looking for goaltending. Pang, on NHL Radio, mentioned that this has Hutton on pins and needles, because he is highly regarded right now as a quality #2 which could help a real contender.