Blues aquire D. Michael Del Zotto from Anahem

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Blues aquire D. Michael Del Zotto from Anahem

Post by ibldbl »

Still waiting to see what we gave up...
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Blues aquire D. Michael Del Zotto from Anahem

Post by ibldbl »

Sixth rounder the other way for Del Zotto.

Seems like a good deal.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

There's the move for a depth defenseman. About the most I realistically expected. Go after Panarin in the offseason, and try to move Allen and Steen then.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

What needs to happen to get under the salary cap?

I am seeing Del Zotto is at 3.75M

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Capfriendly has him at 2.25m, and as a FA this Summer. Does that sneak us just under the cap given that he's owed, what, $550k ish for the rest of the year? Do we get cap relief for guys while they are on the IR?
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

JCShutout wrote:Capfriendly has him at 2.25m, and as a FA this Summer. Does that sneak us just under the cap given that he's owed, what, $550k ish for the rest of the year? Do we get cap relief for guys while they are on the IR?
The Blues had $1.1 million in cap room. So the $ 550,000 or $600,000 should fit. I think the cap relief for players on IR is only for long-term IR. Can't remember the minimum time to reach long-term. Perron might qualify, as his was retroactive to the injury date. Schenn wouldn't. In any case, I don't think they need to shed any other salary.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Robb_K wrote:
JCShutout wrote:Capfriendly has him at 2.25m, and as a FA this Summer. Does that sneak us just under the cap given that he's owed, what, $550k ish for the rest of the year? Do we get cap relief for guys while they are on the IR?
The Blues had $1.1 million in cap room. So the $ 550,000 or $600,000 should fit. I think the cap relief for players on IR is only for long-term IR. Can't remember the minimum time to reach long-term. Perron might qualify, as his was retroactive to the injury date. Schenn wouldn't. In any case, I don't think they need to shed any other salary.
Thanks. I thought it was in that ballpark, but just couldn't remember. (and too busy to do more than just sneak a peak at the deadline thread on my work break)

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The next question is, since Edmundson is up for a contract again and we'd have to assume he's going to get a raise, do you keep Del Zotto as a cheaper and 7 year younger replacement for Bouwmeester and use the money saved to lock up Edmundson?

I was expecting a trade for a RD, not a LD, but it seems like this might be a forward looking deal with the expectation of effectively swapping Bouw and Del Zotto to keep Edmundson. If that's the case, I don't know what's up with Mikkola. I expected him to replace Bouw.

As far as salary considerations, I don't think anyone would have expected to get what we got out of Binnington and Sundqvist this season, both due for contracts as well. Probably Sundqvist ends up elsewhere and Binnington gets a decent raise, but again this trade was probably just as much about future cap room as it was a depth move for the playoffs.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

glen a richter wrote:The next question is, since Edmundson is up for a contract again and we'd have to assume he's going to get a raise, do you keep Del Zotto as a cheaper and 7 year younger replacement for Bouwmeester and use the money saved to lock up Edmundson?

I was expecting a trade for a RD, not a LD, but it seems like this might be a forward looking deal with the expectation of effectively swapping Bouw and Del Zotto to keep Edmundson. If that's the case, I don't know what's up with Mikkola. I expected him to replace Bouw.

As far as salary considerations, I don't think anyone would have expected to get what we got out of Binnington and Sundqvist this season, both due for contracts as well. Probably Sundqvist ends up elsewhere and Binnington gets a decent raise, but again this trade was probably just as much about future cap room as it was a depth move for the playoffs.
With Schenn and the captain up after next year, can we afford to give Edmundson, Sundqvist, Binnington and others raises without moving a big salary? I guess its doable if Eddy doesn't increase much. Forget about going after a guy like Panarin. :(

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:The next question is, since Edmundson is up for a contract again and we'd have to assume he's going to get a raise, do you keep Del Zotto as a cheaper and 7 year younger replacement for Bouwmeester and use the money saved to lock up Edmundson?

Gunnarsson is 34 and a UFA in summer as well, so there may still be room for your boy Mikkola. Also it may be just me but Eddie is not playing as he should be in his contract year.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JCShutout wrote:

With Schenn and the captain up after next year, can we afford to give Edmundson, Sundqvist, Binnington and others raises without moving a big salary? I guess its doable if Eddy doesn't increase much. Forget about going after a guy like Panarin. :(
I'd expect Blues to at least try to move one or two of Schwartz/Steen/Bozak if they are to go after Panarin. Schwartz probably more likely of the three to go given age/performance vs. contract.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Mikkola will be a 5th/6th defenseman - nothing more from what I'm seeing and hearing. He is great defensively and still has shown no offensive upside at all - which is what the book on him was when drafted.

Part of the reason Del Zotto was so cheap, trade-wise, has been his inability to stay healthy for awhile. I don't really see Del Zotto being any kind of longer team defenseman for the Blues, even if he is only 28. This looks more like injury insurance, since the Blues have so many left-shot d-men in San Antonio right now, but none that seem ready to make the jump for this season's playoffs.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

ComradeT wrote:I'd expect Blues to at least try to move one or two of Schwartz/Steen/Bozak if they are to go after Panarin. Schwartz probably more likely of the three to go given age/performance vs. contract.
I know the Schenn and ROR trades were amazing, but I don't think its smart to keep counting on finding someone to take on a bad contract or two. At some point, no one will bite. Hate to lose Schwartzy. Just too much talent not to rebound.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I think Panarin is a pipe dream personally.

First off he's basically on record of wanting to play in a big market. I don't think St. Louis is on his list period.

Second,
I very seriously doubt Steen is waving his NTC just to be a salary dump to a crappy team (i.e. the only teams that have space to take his contract), which would also cost us something: pick or prospect or maybe both.

THEN we make him an offer and hope he takes it after we've done all that shuffling?

Yea our cap situation isn't bad for next season but we got a ton RFA's to re-sign or consider this offseason and then Pietro and Schenn coming due the year after that.

I don't see it.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Ultimatum for Steen - take a deal or buy out his contract assuming he doesn't wind up injured this off-season.

Buying him out this June would cost 1.5 against the cap each year through the 22-23 season... so instead of the 5.75 cap hit for a 3rd line forward the next two seasons, it would only be 1.5 each of the next 4 while making room on the roster for a younger, faster, more skilled forward and clear more space for those needing to be re-signed. If they don't buy him out this off-season, it would be pointless doing it later, because the extended cap hit would go up.

I see folks mentioning moving on from Schwartz. Screw that. Move on from Steen and keep Schwartz. The Blues, even when Schwartz isn't producing points, aren't as a good a team when he isn't playing.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Schwartz is having a down year, yeah, but given a proper coach we'll see improvement in his numbers over time. Next season he's a prime candidate for comeback player of the year and folks want to trade him? He's the straw that stirs the drink. Take him out of the lineup and the team is pitiful.

In small moves, I can see them moving on from Sundqvist--he's going to ask significantly more money after the season he's putting up. Replace him with Poganski.

I see moving on from Bouwmeester, even though he's playing far better he's still getting older and costs a lot of money. You can still get the same basic production from Mikkola for a fraction of the price.

I see a more permanent role for Kyrou next season, Kyrou in/Steen out

Add in an increase in the salary cap and you can now sign your important RFA's and have some dough left over for another forward to provide some secondary scoring. I'd make a push for Anders Lee.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:Ultimatum for Steen - take a deal or buy out his contract assuming he doesn't wind up injured this off-season.

Buying him out this June would cost 1.5 against the cap each year through the 22-23 season... so instead of the 5.75 cap hit for a 3rd line forward the next two seasons, it would only be 1.5 each of the next 4 while making room on the roster for a younger, faster, more skilled forward and clear more space for those needing to be re-signed. If they don't buy him out this off-season, it would be pointless doing it later, because the extended cap hit would go up.

I see folks mentioning moving on from Schwartz. Screw that. Move on from Steen and keep Schwartz. The Blues, even when Schwartz isn't producing points, aren't as a good a team when he isn't playing.
Don't mind the concept, but capfriendly has Steen's buyout at $1.75 for next season, $3.75 for 20-21 and then $1.5 and $1.5. Not awful, assuming that's accurate. That '20-'21 season might be rough though.

I'm actually ok with keeping Bouw if the price is right. One year, $1 million? All day! Perfect. The issue is going to be he probably knows this is his last contract so he's going to want 2 years (e.g. Ron Hainsey) at $2-$3 per, which I wouldn't agree to.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk