2020 Season Return to Action

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: 2020 Season Return to Action

Post by glen a richter »

I was reading an article suggesting the NHL season permanently shift months so they can compete with MLB instead of the more popular NBA and NFL. I’m curious how that kind of shift would affect teams in baseball cities. In New York it wouldn’t have a major impact, we have enough people to pack MSG, Yankee Stadium or Citi Field and whatever they name the new Islanders arena all at the same time. What effect would it have on teams like the Blues? Winning the Cup obviously helped a lot but I always saw St Louis as a baseball town first. Would the cardinals pull from the Blues, would the Blues pull from the Cardinals or no effect?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:01 am
I was reading an article suggesting the NHL season permanently shift months so they can compete with MLB instead of the more popular NBA and NFL. I’m curious how that kind of shift would affect teams in baseball cities. In New York it wouldn’t have a major impact, we have enough people to pack MSG, Yankee Stadium or Citi Field and whatever they name the new Islanders arena all at the same time. What effect would it have on teams like the Blues? Winning the Cup obviously helped a lot but I always saw St Louis as a baseball town first. Would the cardinals pull from the Blues, would the Blues pull from the Cardinals or no effect?
Interesting thought but I don't know that it matters really. The NFL only plays once a week for 16 games, half of them away games anyway. I can't think of a single person I know that's a huge NBA fan AND a huge NHL fan. I feel like you're usually one or the other. Plus baseball plays a ton of games so it'd be bad I think for both sports to be competing with one another. I think it's a bad idea.

You mentioned Cardinals overlap: Well what is it like every year when the Blues and Cards overlap? They play at the same time from March- whenever the Blues are done with the playoffs so 2+ months of overlap isn't a small sample size.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The only other Blues-Cards overlap is when the Cardinals make it to the NLCS and/or World Series and play October baseball.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don’t think it’s a fair sample when you compare playoff overlapping with regular season. If the NHL were competing with MLB for regular season attendance it wouldn’t be the same situation. Playoffs should take precedence if you’re a fan of both sports.

Nice weather out for a seemingly meaningless regular season game, how many people are going to the stadium to enjoy a game outdoors and how many people are going to an arena to watch a decidedly winter sport? It may not affect St. Louis as it would other places. I’m thinking Diamondbacks/Coyotes for example. You can also bet your bottom dollar that kind of arrangement would be the end of the Tampa Bay Rays, competing with the Lightning.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

When it came to radio broadcasts, regular season baseball regularly took precedence over playoff hockey in St Louis. KMOX would broadcast both. If there were a conflict, hockey was bumped to a lesser strength station. When different networks handled the two, it wasn't an issue.

As to the Tampa Bay Rays, their stadium is antiquated and hardly anyone goes to the games. Been plenty of rumors the past couple of years about the Rays moving somewhere else, because there isn't a good location for a new stadium. Some of the minor league baseball teams in Florida have better attendance than the Rays. Meanwhile, the Lightning are absolutely HUGE down here.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Maybe the Winter Classic is the season opener? :lol: :roll:
That has been discussed...or rumored to be possible. Which...I'd be 100% fine with. Kind of a cool way to kick off the season.
But holy hell is it going to be weird to not have hockey in Nov & Dec. :(
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I'm all for the NHL resuming play, providing it can be done safely and without too many incidents.
And I 100% disagree with thinking the cup champ would be illegitimate this year. That's crazy to me.
This is the healthiest in NHL history that all playoff teams have been heading into the playoffs.
Max Pacioretty said he thinks it will be the most difficult cup to win ever because of that. And that makes a lot of sense.
There were only a handful of games left in the regular season. All of the teams who were going to get in, are in...and a few who probably weren't going to make it, but who cares? If you can't beat those teams, then you don't deserve to advance.
Sure, this playoff format is a bit different out of the gates, but in the end, there will be 16 teams fighting for the cup...just like always. It'll take 16 wins to win it...just like always (not counting the play-in round, which, honestly...is questionable that they are playoff wins, considering it's a "play-in" round...but whatever).
I'd rather the top 4 seeds in each conference have a round robin tournament to determine seeding, than to have them start cold vs teams who just finished winning their play-in rounds. That's like running a race against someone who gets a running start and you're standing still.
This format is strange...but this is a strange time and the league is trying to make it work while being as fair as it can be. If a team had a chance to make the playoffs, no matter how small, they're in there...at least they have a chance in the play-in round.
Hopefully everything works out and things are pretty much safe and without too many incidents. I'm really looking forward to hockey in August. :lol:
It'll be something to talk about decades from now in the "remember the time..." conversations that are had.
:petrocup:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

With positive tests coming out in the NHL and MLB, as well as some players opting out of the abridged seasons/postseasons so far (MLB and NBA) I wonder if this whole experiment by all three leagues is going to be short circuited at some point. It's a nice effort, but I just feel like the shoe is going to drop and they're going to decide to sack the whole thing. Imagine if the Blues get to the SCF and half the team tests positive the night before game 7.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:00 pm
With positive tests coming out in the NHL and MLB, as well as some players opting out of the abridged seasons/postseasons so far (MLB and NBA) I wonder if this whole experiment by all three leagues is going to be short circuited at some point. It's a nice effort, but I just feel like the shoe is going to drop and they're going to decide to sack the whole thing. Imagine if the Blues get to the SCF and half the team tests positive the night before game 7.
That's precisely my thought.

We're in the middle of round 2 and four guys on the Bruins go down, with two of them being Marchand and Bergeron. What then?

O'Reilly and Petro go down. What then?

Regardless if they're asymptomatic or not if someone is positive they're done for 2 weeks. There's going to be positive tests and guys shuffling in and out of quarantine. This is going to turn into a $hitshow and might, as you say, just get axed. With the rising number of cases it wouldn't shock me.

They would've been better off just gutting it out and playing out the year and the normally scheduled playoffs as is :lol:

It's way worse NOW
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Word is “multiple” Blues tested positive. I’m still hunting for answers as to who it was. Good tactic, get everyone sick now, get immunity and then steamroll the league all the way to to Cup.

Edit: Sounds like 4 players and 1 coach, connected to a visit to a bar. Still no idea who the lucky 5 are.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The only flaw with the immunity thing is getting this thing doesn't guarantee immunity. There are at least 2 cases in Jacksonville where people got it a 2nd time.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:40 am
Word is “multiple” Blues tested positive. I’m still hunting for answers as to who it was. Good tactic, get everyone sick now, get immunity and then steamroll the league all the way to to Cup.

Edit: Sounds like 4 players and 1 coach, connected to a visit to a bar. Still no idea who the lucky 5 are.
I heard the coach rumor was false. No coach tested positive.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

From https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-to ... -317384096
Hockey is officially back!

The St. Louis Blues will drop the puck on a three-game round-robin tournament on Aug. 2 when they meet the Colorado Avalanche. In addition, the team will also meet the Vegas Golden Knights on Aug. 6 and the Dallas Stars on Aug. 9 before the Stanley Cup Playoffs officially begin.

The round-robin tournament will determine playoff seeding for the top four teams in the conference. All of the Blues' round robin games will be played at Rogers Place in Edmonton, which was named the NHL's hub city for the Western Conference. The Eastern Conference will play its games at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto.

While the round-robin games are underway, 16 other teams in will compete in the Stanley Cup Qualifiers, a best-of-5 series to determine the final eight spots in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Once those teams are determined, a 16-team playoff, each round a best-of-7 series, will begin.

Game times and the broadcast schedule will be announced at a later date. For a complete list of Stanley Cup Qualifier matchups, visit NHL.com.

Blues Round Robin Schedule

Aug. 2 at Colorado Avalanche
Aug. 6 vs. Vegas Golden Knights
Aug. 9 vs. Dallas Stars
Still no word on when actual playoffs will start. I'm glad to have hockey to watch again, but still not completely sold on this whole structure.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I’m looking forward to Robb_K’s enthusiasm to carry me through the dog days of August.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

glen a richter wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:32 pm
I’m looking forward to Robb_K’s enthusiasm to carry me through the dog days of August.
:plusplus: :plusplus:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

For the 2nd and 6th... can someone pick up the gameday threads? I will be away from home those two days.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Hey now, we’ve got a sorta kinda preseason, er... pre-second-season game tomorrow!
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JCShutout wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm
Hey now, we’ve got a sorta kinda preseason, er... pre-second-season game tomorrow!
Nothing drums up nostalgia like some good old fashioned late July ice hockey!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I dont even care if the blues lose this exhibition game and all 3 of the round robins. Seeding doesn’t matter. Just stay healthy and find your game so that game one of the playoffs you are kicking arse.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin