Random 2021 Playoff Talk

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Random 2021 Playoff Talk

Post by theohall »

Isles are surprising me, thus far.

Carolina-Tampa - what's surprising is how quickly Tampa is transitioning to that 1-2-2 scheme when they know they can't get possession. Never thought I'd see Tampa playing that in a tie game - which is what they were doing before Carolina scored the 1st goal.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Schiefele gets a 4 game suspension for his Mack truck impression.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Isles with a power play with 2:15 left in a tied Game 3.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

If I could pick one person to never score in OT it would be Marchand. Such a tool. :facepalm:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Portland Blues wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 pm
The only thing that bugs me about this - what did Krug do any different in the 2019 Final? He didn't try to play the puck when hitting Thomas. There was a long distance travelled. And he buried an unprotected opponent resulting in an injury. But... it's the NHL DoPS... One never knows what the heck they are going to do.

I've heard the mediots saying "If Scheifele had tried to play the puck first" line. The issue with this - how many times have you heard analysts say over the 20+ years you've watched hockey "Take the man, instead of the puck"?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

This 1-1 score halfway through Vegas-Colorado is not indicative of the play. Vegas has controlled all but 2 minutes of this game.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

theohall wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:33 pm
This 1-1 score halfway through Vegas-Colorado is not indicative of the play. Vegas has controlled all but 2 minutes of this game.
Feels kind of like watching a Blues game where they completely dominate and then somehow end up losing. The Avs goalie has been really good so far again tonight.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

theohall wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 am
Portland Blues wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 pm
The only thing that bugs me about this - what did Krug do any different in the 2019 Final? He didn't try to play the puck when hitting Thomas. There was a long distance travelled. And he buried an unprotected opponent resulting in an injury. But... it's the NHL DoPS... One never knows what the heck they are going to do.

I've heard the mediots saying "If Scheifele had tried to play the puck first" line. The issue with this - how many times have you heard analysts say over the 20+ years you've watched hockey "Take the man, instead of the puck"?
I agree with those saying the call was based on the resulting injury. Thomas wasn't knocked out, although injured on the play. There was not ever a talk of suspension by anyone on any network except for the Blues faithful (as far as I can recall anyway). Evans is obviously out called the moment he's hit, then hits his head on the ice. The optics are just worse. The NBC crew was unanimous that it was a suspension worthy hit. I don't think NHL had much of a choice.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

A bit surprised to see Vegas hold off the Avs tonight. It was starting to feel like the Avs just couldn't lose a game.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The Avs barely won Game 2. Vegas was flying most of that game, but Grubauer stonewalled them long enough. Shots were 41-25 in Vegas favor in Game 2 and that was indicative of how the game was played. Really weak penalty call in OT GAVE the Avs the win. But no one is talking about bad officiating - pretty much anywhere (unless it's a coach in a press conference)... which is ashame.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Scheifele vs Krug - what is the difference in how these hits were made? Neither is playing the puck. Both are intent on hitting their opponent and only hitting their opponent. So why not even a penalty call 2 years ago with NBC celebrating a "great hit" when it's essentially the same hit 2 years later. And Robert Thomas didn't play 1 minute after that hit. Of course, he had all summer to recover, but the hit still resulted in injury which prevented Thomas from playing.

Yet, NO ONE is even talking about the comparison.
Last edited by theohall on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

theohall wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:00 pm
Scheifele vs Krug - what is the difference in how these hits were made? Neither is playing the puck. Both are intent on hitting their opponent and only hitting their opponent. So why not even a penalty call 2 years ago with NBC celebrating a "great hit" when it's essentially the same hit 2 years later.

Yet, NO ONE is even talking about the comparison.
You can see that even the Youtube videos are titled with completely different connotations. "Huge hit" and "Knocked out". Says it all.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And that's the issue. Why wouldn't Scheifele think the hit was okay if the same hit wasn't even penalized in the biggest microscope of all, the Stanley Cup Final, 2 years prior?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Because both the Habs and Bruins are storied franchises and, at the time, the Blues were just the Blues. Who will the league and sports media give more respect to?

You, me and everyone else knows if it was Thomas skating the length of the ice to knock Krug into next year he would have been suspended just like if anyone on the Habs had hit anyone on the Jets like that he wouldn’t have been suspended.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I still don't get why Tampa traded for David Savard. Since his arrival, he has added nothing - defensively or offensively - and the team has arguably been worse defensively whenever he is on the ice. They've tried every left-handed defenseman with him and everyone has to do more when Savard is on the ice. I get that players have to adjust to systems, but they are not asking Savard to provide offense. They wanted him to provide right-handed defensive depth to free up their lefty offensive defenseman. He has not provided that defense. Doubt he plays in Game 5.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Didn't see any of the BOS NYI game today but was pleased to see Boston lost. :grin:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

BOS-NYI is an excellent series. Krejci got away with spearing Barzal in the jewels with a minor for slashing, instead of a major for spearing. Of course, Barzal had cross-checked Krejci three times in a row right before with the refs letting it go - like they tend to do with most cross-checking along the boards in the playoffs. Barzal got his revenge with the GWG. 3rd and 4th goal were empty-netters. I'm surprised how evenly matched these two teams are but kinda forgot about Zajac and Palmieri being on the Isles which gives them depth to compete with the depth the Bruins have up front.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Isles are deceptively good, well coached and motivated to win one more at the coliseum before the move down the road. I don’t think anyone is getting past Colorado but I wouldn’t bet against an Isles/Avs Cup final.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The way Vegas played the last two games, they made the Avs look extremely vulnerable. Avs were badly outplayed both games and got lucky winning Game 2. We'll see where that series stands after tonight, but I suspect Vegas is going to tie it up.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Way to go NBCSN! Nothing like joining the next game when one team is already up 1-0. :facepalm: