Tarasenko requesting a trade

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Tarasenko requesting a trade

Post by theohall »

While it's true the Avs have a few players to sign - Brandon Saad isn't likely going to be one of them. Bellemare, if they re-sign him, won't be an issue in terms of large AAV, nor would G6 UFA O'Brien.

Which leaves:
UFAs - Landeskog, Nemeth, Calvert, Grubauer, and Dubnyk
RFAs - Makar, Jost, and Kiefer.

With 25M in cap space, it's not that far of a reach to see them signing the majority of those players before the FA window opens. If someone doesn't sign before then (RFAs excluded due to how that works), it lets the Avs know that guy might not really want to be there or wants to test the market compared to what the Avs offer. Only 3 players on that list should cost them more than 3M AAV - Landeskog, Makar, and Grubauer. Nemeth and Calvert should come in around 3M AAV. Jost is arbitration eligible RFA, so who knows where that will go, but I'd be surprised if it's over 2.5. I don't expect Dubnyk to be re-signed with Francouz already under contract. Dubnyk was injury insurance when Francouz got hurt, again. That's 8.5 leaving 16.5 between Grubauer, Makar, and Landeskog, which is tight, but doable. Depends on where they go with Makar being a non-arbitration eligible RFA. And that doesn't include whomever they lose to Seattle, which has to be a player already under contract or an RFA. Say they left Jost unprotected and he gets taken, that ups the available space to 19.5 and it's easy to sign those three. What happens with Kadri? When he plays and isn't a moron, he's valuable as a center. The issue is he can't be trusted to not pull another idiot stunt in the playoffs. Don't be surprised if he's left unprotected and if taken, would free up 4.5M. I honestly don't see anyone getting anything from Colorado other than whatever Sakic loses via the expansion draft or trades away for some other reason.

Tampa is in a tighter bind than that. Blake Coleman is a quality depth player who consistently puts up 20ish goals and 35ish points in a full season. There won't be room for him under their cap. That's someone to consider bringing in to replace friggin' Sanford. I have a bad feeling the Blues will again over-value Sanford as an RFA, even though he was by far the Blues biggest defensive liability of all their 20-21 forwards without the offense to counteract it. Consider, Tampa is already 3.5M over the cap and has 8 UFAs and 3 RFAs. Granted, at least 2 of the UFAs (Savard and Schenn) and 1 RFA (Nilsson) likely won't be re-signed anyway, but they can't sign Goodrow, Coleman, Gemel, Colton, Barre-Boulet, Foote, and either Gibson or McElhinney with negative 3.5M. Expansion draft isn't going to free up that much cash. Well, it could free up slightly more than that, if Killorn isn't protected and gets taken, but 1M still isn't enough. Something has to give. This off-season is when the Lightning pay the price for winning back-to-back Stanley Cups just like happened with the Penguins after their 16-17 Cup. Penguins were in a serious cap bind after that 2nd Cup and still haven't recovered from it. Heck, they were tight after the 1st one, but found depth guys who stepped up in a big way, then didn't have more depth to add after the 16-17 season.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm hearing Tarasenko will be unprotected in the expansion draft. I say good. If they traded him for anything, they'd have had to eat some salary probably. Let Seattle take him which helps us keep Dunn. Dunn can be traded at the draft for sure, late 1st, early 2nd maybe. Meanwhile, Seattle has to take on the entire cap hit which frees up the dough necessary to sign Landeskog. Very shrewd decision making by Army.

With the #16 (17?) and whatever pick they acquire for Dunn they can draft a forward in the 1st round instead of Corson Ceulemans (RHD) and use the acquired pick on Scott Morrow (also a RHD). Maybe Matthew Coronato or Zachary L'Heureux with that 1st rounder.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

This draft - I'd trade the picks. Weakest draft in 20+ years... Get someone else's prospects from recent drafts or trade into next season. Write off 2021 in terms of "new" prospects.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

It will be a bitter day for St. Louis when the Tarasenko trade is announced (or he is selected by Seattle). He was the most popular Blue among the fanbase for a long time. Just look at the names on the jerseys in the crowd when you go to Enterprise Center- probably 50% are Tarasenko, and the rest is a mix of everyone else. During interviews, he always had an air of humility and expressed deep appreciation for the fans and their support. Like I have said before, St. Louis loves its players on a personal level (almost to a fault) if the players show some love for St. Louis, and Tank certainly did.

That situation probably started changing with the arrival of O'Reilly, which happened to roughly coincide with the time Tank's shoulder issues really started having an impact on his production. ROR's obvious work ethic, and the disappearance of Tarasenko from the scoresheet for long periods of time, led to a shift in which O'Reilly (and to some extent, Binnington) had now become the face of the team.

It saddens me that the relationship between the organization and Tarasenko has deteriorated to the point where Tank feels he needs out, rather than embracing his situation, getting fully healthy and working to find his scoring touch again while wearing a Blue Note. I'm not sure how much of the blame to lay on Tank's shoulders, how much to lay on the organization, and how much to blame on sheer bad luck (the injuries to begin with, then the surgeries not going well). It's one of those situations where there is no obvious bad guy- it's not like Tank is holding out on his contract to try and get more money or something similar.

My head understands the business aspect of the current situation, but it is still going to hurt when it happens.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I feel like a lot of the sting is the fact that it'll be yet another player gone from the best team the Blues ever iced. At the end of the day, though, the window is closed. I don't care what Army or anyone else says, it's so blatantly obvious the window is closed and you can't get started on the next one saddled with a huge contract for a guy who's disgruntled and may potentially never be a fraction of the player he once was. Whether they trade him and get assets or lose him to Seattle, dumping his cap hit is an important first step.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

gaijin wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:38 am
It will be a bitter day for St. Louis when the Tarasenko trade is announced (or he is selected by Seattle). He was the most popular Blue among the fanbase for a long time. Just look at the names on the jerseys in the crowd when you go to Enterprise Center- probably 50% are Tarasenko, and the rest is a mix of everyone else. During interviews, he always had an air of humility and expressed deep appreciation for the fans and their support. Like I have said before, St. Louis loves its players on a personal level (almost to a fault) if the players show some love for St. Louis, and Tank certainly did.

That situation probably started changing with the arrival of O'Reilly, which happened to roughly coincide with the time Tank's shoulder issues really started having an impact on his production. ROR's obvious work ethic, and the disappearance of Tarasenko from the scoresheet for long periods of time, led to a shift in which O'Reilly (and to some extent, Binnington) had now become the face of the team.

It saddens me that the relationship between the organization and Tarasenko has deteriorated to the point where Tank feels he needs out, rather than embracing his situation, getting fully healthy and working to find his scoring touch again while wearing a Blue Note. I'm not sure how much of the blame to lay on Tank's shoulders, how much to lay on the organization, and how much to blame on sheer bad luck (the injuries to begin with, then the surgeries not going well). It's one of those situations where there is no obvious bad guy- it's not like Tank is holding out on his contract to try and get more money or something similar.

My head understands the business aspect of the current situation, but it is still going to hurt when it happens.
Agreed. I know I was quick to, “oh, it’s this bad? ok, let’s move on.” But that doesn’t mean I don’t have TONS of appreciation for Tank. He is one of the best to ever wear the note, and he adapted to betube’s system and was a huge part of the cup win. (Hell, that falling down sliding backwards, backhand rebound goal in game 2 or 4 was a HUGE momentum shift, and his smart assist in game 7 basically iced the cup.)

Plus iirc he had a big day at the winter classic and so many other moments.

I really think he will come back strong, and was hoping for a good year from him in the note. (He’s gonna be good wherever he goes.) a soon-to-be sad day, but it is what it is. (If he somehow isn’t moved I I’m fine with that. Let his anger lead to 25+ goals)

Thanks for all the memories Tarasenko!
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2021/7/ ... conference

You dangled him for Seattle to take getting absolutely nothing in return (besides the cap space) but the complaint is not getting enough in return? I think Army is bluffing. I also think Vlad will be one exceedingly pissed off player if he's still in the note come camp.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:56 pm
https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2021/7/ ... conference

You dangled him for Seattle to take getting absolutely nothing in return (besides the cap space) but the complaint is not getting enough in return? I think Army is bluffing. I also think Vlad will be one exceedingly pissed off player if he's still in the note come camp.
Not sure if that will translate into him sitting out voluntarily/sandbagging, or if he will hit the ice with a vengeance in order to prove problem is the organization, not him.

I know which one I would prefer... :wink:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I've heard some rumblings that the Devils are interested, Boqvist and the 29th going back to the Blues and retain half Tarasenko's salary. If true, that would be total bullshit.

Boqvist is a center, like the Blues need another center, 11 points in 63 career games. If you're getting a pick out of the Devils at least get their 4 instead of the 29. As Theo's pointed out, weak draft, but at least with the 4 you can get Brandt Clarke who--for the billionth time--addresses the need for RHD depth.

Off their roster, I'd have interest in Jesper Bratt, but that's about it. On the overall, I think I'd be ultimately disappointed in the return in a trade with New Jersey.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I think this is where we last talked about the lanch fa (since it’s related to who we may pursue if we can move tank’s salary)

Makar gets 6 years at $9m/yr.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

And now landeskog resigns in col. Looks like he made the lanch blink and got his term.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Interesting to see what Army is able to do today/not do today based on that $7.5 AAV still sticking around.

I know he can go over the cap, but if he does that all the other teams have his balls in the ringer more than they already are :?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I feel like Vlad goes to the Islanders today. I don’t know why, just a feeling I have.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Apparently Vlad got in touch with Buchnevich after he signed. How are we supposed to take that? Fellow countryman wanted to congratulate him on his new deal? He changed his mind and wants to stay in St. Louis?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 am
Apparently Vlad got in touch with Buchnevich after he signed. How are we supposed to take that? Fellow countryman wanted to congratulate him on his new deal? He changed his mind and wants to stay in St. Louis?
Yea some people we're asking JR that on Twitter (the latter question). JR's opinion is no, doesn't show any change of heart on Tarasenko's part and he's still gone.

Maybe just a polite gesture to a fellow countrymen.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

I have seen rumors that the isles, devils, and a 3rd team might be interested in tank. curious to see if we get anything more than cap space back, if we have to sweeten with a pick, or if we might get value. could see tank for a smaller cap hit contract and if its with lou the lam there will be draft picks involved or at least the right to switch spots
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

flyingnote38 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 am
I have seen rumors that the isles, devils, and a 3rd team might be interested in tank. curious to see if we get anything more than cap space back, if we have to sweeten with a pick, or if we might get value. could see tank for a smaller cap hit contract and if its with lou the lam there will be draft picks involved or at least the right to switch spots
Yea I've seen the same rumors. I'd be thrilled with a little bidding war going on between the Isles and Devils. Fantastic. Probably too good to be true but I would love to be wrong!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

he's staying
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Some dipshit replied to a Rutherford tweet claiming that Tarasenko bought a house on Long Island and that a trade would be announced in a few weeks. What kind of dumb bull is that? A trade is agreed to and we won’t find out until the end of August? Where do some people come up with this crap?

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Good deal for a consistent 20+ goal scorer. I like saad more at the same price. (Bigger, younger)