The Tkachuk boys

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

The Tkachuk boys

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Matthew and Brady.

I selfishly hope they end up in St. Louis some day. I think they will, maybe even if it's at the end of their careers, I think they both would want to have a stint here.

But could it be sooner than that?

Matthew Tkachuk
Depending what articles you read or where you get your info, Matthew isn't terribly happy in Calgary, and with one year RFA status remaining he could force Calgary to arbitration, get a 1 year award, and hit UFA as soon as next summer, 2023 which is when, coincidentally, Ryan O'Reilly's big contract comes off the books (hopefully he re-signs for a lot less) and Tarasenko will be UFA and probably gone (since we also have to re-sign Thomas and Kyrou to presumably big money deals). So, technically, the cap space is there. Predictions are that Tkachuk's next contract could be in the $10 million AAV range, with summer 2023 on the open market pushing him into $12/AAV territory if he continues growing and the cap rises. But he's one of the best wingers in the entire league.

Doug Armstrong has never signed anyone to that big a number, ever. I would think even with as talented a player as Tkachuk is, he wouldn't do it there either. Also, other teams would be offering the NMC and massive signing bonus money every player wants and as we know from the Petro negotiations, Armstrong at most will only do it "kinda" and at the 11th hour.

Unless Matthew just desperately wants to play in St. Louis and just takes whatever the best number is that Armstrong gives him (which will almost certainly be less than he can get on the open market) not sure he lands in St. Louis on his next contract despite my hope that he does.

Brady Tkachuk

I thought for sure he was going to sit out part of the season. I don't think he likes being in Ottawa. I think he wanted a bridge deal like Matthew got, where he could assert his leverage later in the contract. Ottawa wanted to prevent that exact scenario and I believe, if reports are correct, they adamantly flat out refused to offer him anything less than a 7 year deal, which he ultimately took. I was disappointed, I wanted him to hold out for the 4 year deal to hit UFA asap. Sad.

There's absolutely no way to know what the league or the Blues will look like in the summer of 2028. Maybe if Matthew's here, Brady would come too. A guy can hope 8)
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Tkachuk boys

Post by theohall »

On the Brady Tkachuk front, his contract does include a NMC, but it doesn't kick in until the 25-26 season. Given how the Sens owner seems to hate paying players over long terms, I won't be surprised if he is traded before that 25-26 season, especially since the NMC takes away the GM/Owners power to do anything once that kicks in.

With Matthew, it's going to be get paid the massive contract somewhere or really want to play in St Louis type deal, IMO, especially with the way Armstrong has managed the cap.

It'd be fun seeing a Tkachuk (either one), Thomas, Kyrou line. Even more fun would be both Tkachuk's with Thomas.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:05 am
On the Brady Tkachuk front, his contract does include a NMC, but it doesn't kick in until the 25-26 season. Given how the Sens owner seems to hate paying players over long terms, I won't be surprised if he is traded before that 25-26 season, especially since the NMC takes away the GM/Owners power to do anything once that kicks in.

With Matthew, it's going to be get paid the massive contract somewhere or really want to play in St Louis type deal, IMO, especially with the way Armstrong has managed the cap.

It'd be fun seeing a Tkachuk (either one), Thomas, Kyrou line. Even more fun would be both Tkachuk's with Thomas.
I loved seeing Brady (I think it was Brady) during the parade with a reversed Blues jersey on, haha, I think it was Thomas'.

I think either/both would love to play in St. Louis. I hope it's while they're in their primes but I sadly don't see it :cry:

It'll happen!
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

It would be friggin awesome if both Tkachuk boys came to StL. I have no idea how likely it would be. I bet if you were able to sign one, the other would be more likely to sign the next time his contract was up.

What number jersey would Walt wear to the games? :lol:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:59 am
What number jersey would Walt wear to the games? :lol:
Brady on the front, Matthew on the back, or vice versa.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season