Trades and Signings

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Trades and Signings

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: One thing I find slightly ironic, and I don't know that any of you guys were bashing the Army moves that signed Thorburn, Bennett, Sundqvist, etc for maybe "taking a roster spot from the kids", but I haven't heard anyone mention Jagr would be taking a roster spot, potentially from a prospect. There's that to consider as well.
Jagr would be someone who actually produces something - not someone like Thorburn, Bennett, Sundqvist who are just more 4th line fodder. The argument is younger, more talented players would likely produce points at a better rate if given the opportunity over those 4th line fodder types. Heck, remove the Thorburn and Bennett contracts, promote kids on ECLs and the Blues could likely afford what Jagr is asking.
I don't know that that should be assumed (Jagr producing more than a younger player in the same minutes). As you probably know, the drop off for older players when they hit that wall can be pretty sudden and drastic. Sooner or later Jagr is going to hit it.

I view Jagr as a depth flyer, primarily a power play weapon, and not a whole lot else. Don't misunderstand me: I'd love to see him in the Bluenote. but for the right price. If he was at $1-$2 million a year I would think multiple teams would be interested but the total silence tells me, as you guys have been saying, he's considerably higher than that. And with the cap not having gone up much this year (when it was thought it wouldn't go up at all) those cap dollars are at a premium. Nobody wants to get hog-tied on a $4 million cap hit, even if one year, for a healthy scratch when he hits that wall.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Trades and Signings

Post by glen a richter »

I've seen Doan's name bounced around a little bit too. On a one year deal to give the kids some more time to get seasoned, I'd rather have Jagr. At least he's won something, albeit almost 30 years ago.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024