GDT Game 5: 5/5/17 | 7:00 PM CDT | vs Predators | NBCSN/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 5: 5/5/17 | 7:00 PM CDT | vs Predators | NBCSN/

Post by theohall »

If Kirk Muller is still a Blues assistant, this series would have been a Blues sweep. He's that good at adjusting the power play on the fly. Yeo absolutely sucks at adjusting it that way.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Schwartz knocks in the rebound of a hard Parayko shot!!!! Blues regain the lead, 2-1!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Are The Blues' sticks made of non-reinforced balsa wood??? Tarasenko made a light-swing dump of the puck into The Preds' zone, and his stick broke. For the last couple years I've noticed that The Blues' sticks break way too much, and several times when they're not even shooting hard. Maybe they should consider new manufacturers???

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Super save by Allen to preserve the lead!!! Then one by Rinne on a Blues' 3 on 1!

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

Robb_K wrote:Are The Blues' sticks made of non-reinforced balsa wood??? Tarasenko made a light-swing dump of the puck into The Preds' zone, and his stick broke. For the last couple years I've noticed that The Blues' sticks break way too much, and several times when they're not even shooting hard. Maybe they should consider new manufacturers???
Most sticks in the league are like this. Guy will go to put just a little extra on a wrist shot, and it will break. They're all composite of some fashion, so they're really flexible to got more zip on a shot; the flip side is that the extra flex makes them more flimsy and so they're much easier to break.
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

... and the Blues live to fight another day.

Also means it's still possible that I can have surround sound hooked up for a Game 7.
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Woot! Still alive!
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Blues WIN!!! BLUES WINNNNNNNN!!!! There will be a Game 6!!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Imagine that. Put Parayko on the power play, the puck gets to the net, and the Blues score. It only took how many power plays before he got to play with the big boys on the top unit??
:letsgoblues: :goblues:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Irish Blues wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Are The Blues' sticks made of non-reinforced balsa wood??? Tarasenko made a light-swing dump of the puck into The Preds' zone, and his stick broke. For the last couple years I've noticed that The Blues' sticks break way too much, and several times when they're not even shooting hard. Maybe they should consider new manufacturers???
Most sticks in the league are like this. Guy will go to put just a little extra on a wrist shot, and it will break. They're all composite of some fashion, so they're really flexible to got more zip on a shot; the flip side is that the extra flex makes them more flimsy and so they're much easier to break.
Although my whole youth hockey career through Midget and even Juniors (all before 1964) I used a wood stick, I DO know what composites are, and have used them in pick up. But, Tarasenko put virtually nothing into that flip-dump. It's like it would break if you'd breathe on it. At some point, they're putting in too much flexibilty, if you break a stick every other game, and in so many crucial situations.

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

Robb_K wrote:
Irish Blues wrote:
Although my whole youth hockey career through Midget and even Juniors (all before 1964) I used a wood stick, I DO know what composites are, and have used them in pick up. But, Tarasenko put virtually nothing into that flip-dump. It's like it would break if you'd breathe on it. At some point, they're putting in too much flexibilty, if you break a stick every other game, and in so many crucial situations.
Agreed, but at the same time I'm not sure anyone makes wood sticks now. I know MacInnis was scrambling to find them late in his career.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

PP needs to be better, but we played really well otherwise.

On their 5 on 3, I can buy the call on Pietrangelo. A bit unlucky, but his skate does slide into the Nashville player's skate causing him to fall. I still have no idea what Berglund did though. I know they called it a hold, but I haven't seen it yet. It felt kinda like they were trying to even out us having a 1:50 5 on 3.

Oh well, though. We won. All that really mattered tonight. Now, we need to do it again on Sunday. They're gonna feel the pressure. Time to take advantage and force a game 7.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

cardsfan04 wrote:PP needs to be better, but we played really well otherwise.

On their 5 on 3, I can buy the call on Pietrangelo. A bit unlucky, but his skate does slide into the Nashville player's skate causing him to fall. I still have no idea what Berglund did though. I know they called it a hold, but I haven't seen it yet. It felt kinda like they were trying to even out us having a 1:50 5 on 3.

Oh well, though. We won. All that really mattered tonight. Now, we need to do it again on Sunday. They're gonna feel the pressure. Time to take advantage and force a game 7.
Berglund held his man starting before the Blue Line, and continuing well into the O-Zone. It was an obvious and non-questionable call. He had his man wrapped up for way too long. The call on Pietrangelo was more "iffy".

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Nice that they treated, for the most part, game 5 like a must win, but they need to be able to repeat that. I think it'll take Allen throwing up a couple of shutouts to get out of this series on the winning end... don't see that happening especially going back to Nashville for game 6.

The precise moment they (eventually) lost this series was when they squandered the big 3rd period comeback in game 1. If they had completed the comeback, they'd be swimming in confidence and have this series wrapped up. It's the same thing as back when Bergevin tossed the puck into his own goal and destroyed any confidence that team had.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but I just don't see it. Laviolette is a much better coach and motivator and he'll have that team back on track for game 6.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Robb_K wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:PP needs to be better, but we played really well otherwise.

Berglund held his man starting before the Blue Line, and continuing well into the O-Zone. It was an obvious and non-questionable call. He had his man wrapped up for way too long. The call on Pietrangelo was more "iffy".
The only thing that bugged me about the two holding calls against the Blues was the inconsistent standard. On the first shift of the game, one of the Blues going to the corner got twisted around by a hand over the shoulder - just like Jaskin's penalty - and it wasn't called. Just be consistent from start to finish. Not being consistent makes it difficult for the players and annoying for the fans. Not saying they weren't penalties vs the Blues, but the same standard wasn't applied to the Predators when the game had started. Not sure it would have mattered considering how long it takes Yeo to make PP adjustments in-game.