Do we resign Pietrangelo or let him walk?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do we resign Pietrangelo or let him walk?

Post by cprice12 »

theohall wrote:That plus/minus thing is partially because Dunn is being protected. Fewest defensive zone starts from defenseman not named Pouliot, Mikkola, or Walman
Good point. And that's partially why +/- on it's own is a very poor stat.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

This is a phenomenal take that I hadn't considered...
FAULK AND THE EXPANSION DRAFT
With Seattle set to join the NHL as its 32nd team for the 2021-22 season, an expansion draft awaits in the summer of 2021. Faulk’s contract extension notably did not include a no-movement clause, meaning that the Blues would not be required to protect him from selection in that draft.

Ron Francis, who is currently Seattle’s first general manager, was in that same role for several years when Faulk played for Carolina. Given that the unprecedented success of the expansion Vegas Golden Knights will leave Seattle hungry to compete from the outset, Faulk might be an attractive selection as a cornerstone defenseman for a new team.

Francis’s familiarity with Faulk could help drive that decision.

The Blues seem certain to protect Colton Parayko in that draft, though he will have only one year remaining on his current contract when it commences.

Another spot would seem destined for the puck-moving lefty Vince Dunn, leaving only one protection slot available under the normal configuration. If Pietrangelo leaves town, that’s likely to be Faulk.

If the Blues extend their captain, though, they could seek to use the expansion draft as salary cap relief.
Clicky!

That's good stuff there!

Under this scenario, if Pietrangelo re-signs and the blues want to move Faulk we'd just have to "survive" next season's salary cap situation and then we could even do like the Penguins did with Fleury and Vegas: toss Seattle a draft pick or something and mandate they take Faulk. Boom, problem solved.

Frankly I love it and I hope Armstrong has this scenario in front of him in his considerations of whether to re-sign Petro and to how much for how long.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Let's see what happens with Mikkola from here going forward. There is also the possibility of Seattle looking for younger, lower salary defenseman... which MIkkola would fit and he will require protection if he winds up being someone the Blues want to keep. Petro and Parayko are certain protection guys. After that, a big decision has to be made and odds are the Blues lose a defenseman.

I could see the Blues not protecting Dunn depending on what happens with Perunovich next season.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:30 am
Let's see what happens with Mikkola from here going forward. There is also the possibility of Seattle looking for younger, lower salary defenseman... which MIkkola would fit and he will require protection if he winds up being someone the Blues want to keep. Petro and Parayko are certain protection guys. After that, a big decision has to be made and odds are the Blues lose a defenseman.

I could see the Blues not protecting Dunn depending on what happens with Perunovich next season.
If Seattle gets the same rules Vegas had then Mikkola would only be a 2nd year pro at the conclusion of next season and would be exempt. Right?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Nope. AHL games start counting when a player turns 20. This is the reason Kostin won't require protection. He turned 20 in May, so this is his "first professional" season, next year will be his second, so he will still be a "2nd year" pro when the expansion draft happens. Mikkola started playing in the AHL at age 22. Every game counted for him.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Even before Bouwmeester's scare the other night, I was sort of assuming this was his last season anyway. It's probably a foregone conclusion at this point, so that's money off the books. If they can't find a way to work a Pietrangelo contract I'd be shocked. As far as ditching Faulk, I'm down. Hell, I'd try to ditch him this offseason! That money is clearly better spent on Pie. If it comes down to giving Seattle a pick to protect everyone else and let them take Faulk, do it. Whatever, it's worth it to clear the salary off the books especially when by that point you're definitely looking at Perunovich, Tucker and Walman as all having a chance to grab a spot.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm
Nope. AHL games start counting when a player turns 20. This is the reason Kostin won't require protection. He turned 20 in May, so this is his "first professional" season, next year will be his second, so he will still be a "2nd year" pro when the expansion draft happens. Mikkola started playing in the AHL at age 22. Every game counted for him.
Well that sucks.

Still, though, I'd feel like Mikkola would really have to explode for Seattle to take him over Faulk (assuming Pietro would be re-signed and we protect him, Dunn and Parayko).

As Vegas showed: It's art and science to put together a team of promising young players that have a chance to really grow into an expanded role with more ice time and opportunity blended with veteran players that know what they're doing. At $6.5 AAV for 6 years (by that point) that's not an albatross for Seattle to take on. I guess it depends on how Faulk would perform next season and also assuming Pietrangelo is re-signed.

glen a richter wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 pm
... If they can't find a way to work a Pietrangelo contract I'd be shocked. ...
As was explored earlier in the thread, it's absolutely doable. There could be as few as 2 player moves to make the cap space open up enough to get him in.

That awkward dance of the money and term Pietro wants and the money and term Army is willing to offer.

As I think I said before: That Josi extension is the benchmark. Pietrangelo doesn't have as much of the offense but he's at least as good a defender if not clearly better. If the Blues offered him the Josi extension I'd be shocked he didn't take it in a heartbeat.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Re-sign Pietro for sure. It may cost re-signing Dunn with the way RFAs have been getting paid on 2nd contracts. Something has to give.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The longer this skid wears on the more I’d be in favor of trading Faulk right now. He’s not right for this team and the defense, in general, has been playing like ass.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

While Faulk doesn't have a full NMC in his contract, he does have a full NTC for the length of it, which makes trading him problematic.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Sometimes I mentally try to forget about that pesky NTC. Army has done a lot of things right, but on Faulk he got it wrong twice.