2nd Round Thread: 2011 NHL Playoffs

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: 2nd Round Thread: 2011 NHL Playoffs

Post by dmiles2186 »

Eric Brewer is in the Eastern Conference Finals. But like we've talked about here for years, on a contender, as a 3-4-5 D-man, he's a good player. But give him #1 minutes and he's exposed. I'm happy for the guy. I know he probably doesn't give a rat's patoot was Blues fans think, but I'm happy to see him doing well. It's nothing new for a former Blue to be traded and then make a long playoff run with his new team.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Ray "Chicken Parm" alert - calling the Detroit game. :)

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:Eric Brewer is in the Eastern Conference Finals. But like we've talked about here for years, on a contender, as a 3-4-5 D-man, he's a good player. But give him #1 minutes and he's exposed. I'm happy for the guy. I know he probably doesn't give a rat's patoot was Blues fans think, but I'm happy to see him doing well. It's nothing new for a former Blue to be traded and then make a long playoff run with his new team.
Brewer is their "#1" d-man. He's leading the team in ice-time by a rather significant margin. He played 28 minutes tonight. Next closest D-man was Hedman with 20:52. No other defenseman played 20 minutes for the Lightning.

Brewer led in Game 3 with 26 minutes. Ohlund had 24. No other defenseman played 20 minutes.
Brewer led in Game 2 with 28 minutes. Next highest is Ohlund again. Had it not gone to OT, no other D would've played 20 minutes again.
Brewer led in Game 1 with only 24 minutes.

In other words, they are leaning on him more as the series progresses.

He still does the same crap as before. Doesn't take the body often. Tends to use his stick in front of the net, instead of boxing out with his body. But the press and media are saying the same things. Brewer provides leadership - more than likely in a way we will never see not being on their bench or in their locker room. When they traded him, the Blues did struggle for a few games likely trying to fill that void in the Blues locker room.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Lightning are pissing me off. Utter failure of a franchise for 99% of their existence yet own a Stanley Cup and marching headlong into the conference finals. Eff them. Eff them in the ear.

I hope Boston mops 'em up and beats the 'Nucks in the finals.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Eric Brewer is in the Eastern Conference Finals. But like we've talked about here for years, on a contender, as a 3-4-5 D-man, he's a good player. But give him #1 minutes and he's exposed. I'm happy for the guy. I know he probably doesn't give a rat's patoot was Blues fans think, but I'm happy to see him doing well. It's nothing new for a former Blue to be traded and then make a long playoff run with his new team.
I'm with you here, I'm happy that he is fitting in with his new team. If he was healthy the entire time he was here, maybe it would have worked out, but apparently he was hurt most the time. Although, I still don't regret all the times I booed him, but that's the way it goes.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

My Round 2 picks are taking a beating.

:facepalm:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Portland Blues wrote:My Round 2 picks are taking a beating.

:facepalm:

This + + +

I will go sit in the box and feel shame.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Lightning are pissing me off. Utter failure of a franchise for 99% of their existence yet own a Stanley Cup and marching headlong into the conference finals. Eff them. Eff them in the ear.

The one thing about the Lightning that gives me hope...they finished worse (12th) last year in a weaker conference than the Blues did this year (11th) in a better conference. Sure, they have Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. Louis, but it shows that you can turn it around in one year. They're in the conference finals. I'm not saying the Blues will be there this year, but it gives me hope that a surge like the Lightning this year could be had if the Blues talent and drive come together over 82 games and then some.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Lightning are pissing me off. Utter failure of a franchise for 99% of their existence yet own a Stanley Cup and marching headlong into the conference finals. Eff them. Eff them in the ear.

The one thing about the Lightning that gives me hope...they finished worse (12th) last year in a weaker conference than the Blues did this year (11th) in a better conference. Sure, they have Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. Louis, but it shows that you can turn it around in one year. They're in the conference finals. I'm not saying the Blues will be there this year, but it gives me hope that a surge like the Lightning this year could be had if the Blues talent and drive come together over 82 games and then some.
And Steve Yzerman. Dude must have sold his soul.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:

What you did there... I saw that :lol: :okman:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Yes, we trade Brewer to Tampa and he goes to the playoff, we trade Boyes to Boston and he goes to the playoffs....

Don't we owe it to Jackman to make sure he's playing for a contender next year? Looks like Washington could use some help defensively and we could use another 3rd round pick next year........just sayn'

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

DaDitka wrote:

Yes, we trade Brewer to Tampa and he goes to the playoff, we trade Boyes to Boston and he goes to the playoffs....

Don't we owe it to Jackman to make sure he's playing for a contender next year? Looks like Washington could use some help defensively and we could use another 3rd round pick next year........just sayn'
Thought we sent Boyes to Buffalo- who got eliminated.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

gaijin wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Thought we sent Boyes to Buffalo- who got eliminated.

Sorry, I meant Buffalo...and they did make the playoffs (which was my point)

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I never would have thought in a million years that the Lightning would sweep Washington, and now because of this (and San Jose assraping Detroit) I'm officially out of the LGB playoff pick'em. Oh well.

I'm going with Boston to win it all now. Fukk Tampa Bay, those dipshits already have a cup whilst we sit here waiting for the Blues to get their first. At least Boston's been around forever.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:I never would have thought in a million years that the Lightning would sweep Washington, and now because of this (and San Jose assraping Detroit) I'm officially out of the LGB playoff pick'em. Oh well.

I'm going with Boston to win it all now. Fukk Tampa Bay, those dipshits already have a cup whilst we sit here waiting for the Blues to get their first. At least Boston's been around forever.
Bettman will cream his pants either way.

Boston wins: "Original Six" franchise hoists the cup. Market that one to death.
Tampa wins: Another cup going to a non-traditional market to "prove that hockey can thrive in the south." :roll:

Worst case scenario for him is if Vancouver wins.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

(Frank) Vancouver...I hope San Jose destroys them in the next round.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Refs gifted game 4 to Detroit. 1st goal - offsides. Thornton repeatedly tripped as he tries to break out (at least 3 times). Helm tripping the guy going to the puck at the point after the face off which allows the puck to stay in the zone on the 4th Detroit goal. Gift. No way Wings win this game with the refs actually calling tripping. Heck - they only win by one with all that help?? Even Roenick commented on the officiating during the 1st period break and how much help they were giving the Wings by not calling penalties against them.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

theohall wrote:Refs gifted game 4 to Detroit. 1st goal - offsides. Thornton repeatedly tripped as he tries to break out (at least 3 times). Helm tripping the guy going to the puck at the point after the face off which allows the puck to stay in the zone on the 4th Detroit goal. Gift. No way Wings win this game with the refs actually calling tripping. Heck - they only win by one with all that help?? Even Roenick commented on the officiating during the 1st period break and how much help they were giving the Wings by not calling penalties against them.
:plusplus: Watching Twitter you'd think the Wings just won the cup again. Really, exactly a year ago they won game 4 before losing the series the next game. Three cheers for history repeating itself.

:detsucks:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I never would have thought in a million years that the Lightning would sweep Washington, and now because of this (and San Jose assraping Detroit) I'm officially out of the LGB playoff pick'em. Oh well.

Bettman will cream his pants either way.

Boston wins: "Original Six" franchise hoists the cup. Market that one to death.
Tampa wins: Another cup going to a non-traditional market to "prove that hockey can thrive in the south." :roll:

Worst case scenario for him is if Vancouver wins.
Really? More of that? All I have to say is...

Ottawa: The Senators couldn't even make their payroll about 10 years ago. Bettman did everything that he could to ensure that the Senators didn't move.

Edmonton/Calgary: Complained about rising salaries. Bettman held firm to his salary cap proposal, ensuring that teams like Calgary and Edmonton would be able to compete.

There's always going to be a catch-phrase storyline with the Stanley Cup winner. Always. Your assessment regarding original 6/southern market is correct, but that's the way the storyline is playing out. If the Blues were in this position, the storyline would be about the great fans in St. Louis "painting the town blue" after all of these years or something.

Not to pick on you, Waukee, but it bothers me that so many people buy into the whole TSN sponsored "poor Canada" sentiment. Bettman is going above and beyond to make sure that teams like Phoenix don't move, but let's not have a short memory. He did the exact same for teams like Ottawa, Calgary, and Edmonton. Why does a team from a "traditional" market have to win the cup in order for it to be legit? The Canucks have more Americans on their roster than the Blackhawks.

And why would it be a worst case scenario for Vancouver to win? Granted, I would hate it, because (Frank) Vancouver, but seriously...why would it be any sort of blow to Gary Bettman? It's not like they've ever been a threat (aside from 1994), so there's a good storyline.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Hoping this is the last time I have to see the Red Wings this season.

:detsucks: