GDT #7: 10/20/15 | 6:30PM CST | @ Canadiens | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: GDT #7: 10/20/15 | 6:30PM CST | @ Canadiens | FSMW/KMOX

Post by KrustyKevo »

Shitty.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I can't blame 'em for a loss here. They put 38 shots on the best goalie in the league and came away with nothing. This is after a 6 game road trip that's gone across basically every time zone. To be honest, going 4-2 on that road trip is fine and dandy with me. 4 days to rest up, recoup, and get amped up for a home crowd.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

dmiles2186 wrote:I can't blame 'em for a loss here. They put 38 shots on the best goalie in the league and came away with nothing. This is after a 6 game road trip that's gone across basically every time zone. To be honest, going 4-2 on that road trip is fine and dandy with me. 4 days to rest up, recoup, and get amped up for a home crowd.
I agree, just wasn't a whole lot of fun to watch though.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Portland Blues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I can't blame 'em for a loss here. They put 38 shots on the best goalie in the league and came away with nothing. This is after a 6 game road trip that's gone across basically every time zone. To be honest, going 4-2 on that road trip is fine and dandy with me. 4 days to rest up, recoup, and get amped up for a home crowd.
I agree, just wasn't a whole lot of fun to watch though.
Not at all. Like you were saying, they came out on fire and then just sort of threw up their hands after that first goal. After awhile, it just didn't feel like a goal was coming our way.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues were playing the last game of a grueling road trip, playing without 3 key starters, with their 1B goaltender, versus The best goaltender in The World. They dominated most of The 1st Period, and tired themselves out, in doing so, and had a letdown after doing that with bad results. We'll have to live with it. No NHL team wins all its games.

I guessed that they would probably lose this game. They finished 4-2 on the road trip, with mostly 3 key starters out. They did better than I'd have expected with their top centre, second best defenceman and PP leader out, and also a dynamic rookie energetic and very skilled forward out.

I am not discouraged after this road loss to a good team.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Krigloch the Furious wrote: Next question: Why can't we have a goalie like Price?
We could have had one (Bishop), but someone decided that Allen was a better bet and we shipped Bishop off to Ottawa for a 2nd round pick that eventually became Vanelli.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

This was a fantastic game until Montreal potted a couple.
We really dominated play in the 1st...but Price was outstanding. He won that game for them. If seemingly anyone else is in net for them, we're likely up 3-0 in the first period.

I thought Backes had a terrible game. Same with Schwartz. They couldn't seem to do very much, and mishandled the puck a lot. Schwartz had a great chance put on his stick in the slot with a LOT of net to shoot at and he never got the puck on net (shot went off a stick and over the glass). Backes had a couple bad giveaways, one in his own end...again.

Allen was eh, ok. Montreal ended up with a lot of shots on net, but there weren't too many that were high quality stops. I don't think he reacted well to the first goal, like he took for granted where it was going and didn't anticipate a change in direction at all (which happens too often with him). Yes, redirections are tough...but he wasn't even ready for the possibility of one, which made the goal look soft.

I thought Allen was out of position a bit on the second goal. If you can't see the puck and it ends up going right smack in the middle of the net, you are out of position. That puck should have hit him in the chest, but he was off to the side a bit. He made some nice saves...but really needed to come up with a couple huge saves to match Price...which he did not.

We've seen this kind of game a little too often for my liking the past few years...where we absolutely dominate play for a chunk of the game, but come up with nothing, nada, zip on the scoreboard, where we make the opposing goalie look like a world class netminder...which Price is...but I'm just sayin'. And we allow a couple of goals that weren't the best chances, but one way or another they end up in the net. We should have had at least a couple goals last night. I don't care how good the goalie is. With that many shots and that many high quality chances, you need to bury some...if you don't, it's on you.

With that said...I don't want to take credit away from Price...he played last night about as good as a goalie can play. He was sound positionally, he made the outstanding saves and the saves he was supposed to make. He looks better this year than last, and that is pretty damn impressive.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

This is the problem of a goalie rotation. Hitch sat the hot guy in a game where premium goaltending was needed...because it was the other guy's turn.

Still waiting for someone to show me any evidence such a set up can be successful.

Oh well. Pretty good for a season-high road trip. And that Price guy is pretty good. On to the next one.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

When's everyone going to realize that Pietrangelo just isn't that great?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Allen was sound positionally most of the game. He definitely wasn't as sound as he could be on the first two goals.

1) Watch how Price was constantly outside his crease challenging shooters. The only times Price seemed to be in the paint defending shots was after the first shot and he had to handle rebounds or the Blues got in tight.

2) Watch Allen. Constantly inside the top of the crease - not outside of it taking away angles. That 2nd goal is a perfect example of not being sound positionally at all - not only to the side, but not out high facing a shooter nowhere near the net.

There is a chance the 1st goal might have been stopped if Allen is 1 foot further out, instead of standing in the paint.

The last goal - yeah the shot hits something and goes to Allen's left, but Allen looked like a damn statue after the initial shot, compared to Price who actually tracking the puck and made a couple really nice diving saves.

IMO, not a good game by Allen at all. Thus far - 3 goals per game. Interestingly, this game was actually considered a quality start for Allen. :roll:

Give the job to Elliott until he slips.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season