Trades and Signings

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Trades and Signings

Post by glen a richter »

Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/reported-pross ... 40327.html

What the eff, Army? :facepalm:
The guy is apparently obsessed with veteran depth. Though, as the article points out, how legitimately Prosser is an actual NHL defenseman can be debated. Maybe some veteran presence in the AHL? I don't know...

I'd far sooner be giving those limited NHL shifts to guys like Schmaltz/Wallman/Dunn than to a wish-wash veteran AHL/NHL player but what do I know? :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

50+ games in 3 of 4 seasons when coached by Yeo... why is anyone surprised?

:roll:
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

So it sounds like we can expect to see Prosser on the ice every game. Whose spot does he take?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

gaijin wrote:So it sounds like we can expect to see Prosser on the ice every game. Whose spot does he take?
In the alternate reality that is the mindset of Doug Armstrong, Prosser will probably take over for that overpaid slug Colton Parayko.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:So it sounds like we can expect to see Prosser on the ice every game. Whose spot does he take?
Instead of letting a younger player fill the time Bortuzzo will likely miss, since he's missed at least 30 games every season but one of his NHL career, Prosser will wind up getting the ice time. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Can't use roll eyes enough for this nonsense. It's not like the Blues lack depth among right defensemen. Stupid signing.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

theohall wrote:
Can't use roll eyes enough for this nonsense. It's not like the Blues lack depth among right defensemen. Stupid signing.
Like who? Besides Schmaltz.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I hate to be always-defending-the-front-office-guy, but this seems like something that is only a big deal because there is nothing else happening, but will actually end up being rather inconsequential. I'm sure Yeo had his hands on bringing him in. But, what is he, our 8th or 9th defensemen?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:I hate to be always-defending-the-front-office-guy, but this seems like something that is only a big deal because there is nothing else happening, but will actually end up being rather inconsequential. I'm sure Yeo had his hands on bringing him in. But, what is he, our 8th or 9th defensemen?
By skill, yes, but the fear is that familiarity with Prosser on the part of Yeo (as well as a reputation for relying on vets rather than young fast talent) will lead to Prosser being given playing time and matchups as a 5/6 D-man, rather than purely a depth signing in case of injury.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If he was brought in to push Schmaltz in camp, that's one thing. I don't think that's why he was brought in at all. I think he was brought in to be a #7 to split time with Bortuzzo.

There's literally no reason to not be transitioning the defense to incorporate Schmaltz, Dunn and Walman by getting Bortuzzo, Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson all out. I don't care if that makes the D too young and inexperienced, what it does it free up money coupled with not re-signing Stastny that can be thrown at John Tavares next offseason--and I'm being completely 100% serious about that.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I envisioned this as an AHL depth signing. If it's as a 7th Defenseman, I'd have to think about it. I don't want Scmaltz or Dunn sitting in the press box each night as our 7th defenseman. But, when we need depth, I'd rather Schmaltz and Dunn be used ahead of Butler/Prosser. If Prosser starts taking playing time away from people, I will be upset with everybody else. I'm just not convinced that's where this is headed. I sure hope not anyway.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Trades and Signings

Post by Toasted Oates »

cardsfan04 wrote:I hate to be always-defending-the-front-office-guy, but this seems like something that is only a big deal because there is nothing else happening, but will actually end up being rather inconsequential. I'm sure Yeo had his hands on bringing him in. But, what is he, our 8th or 9th defensemen?
Exactly. And if Schmaltz can't beat this guy for a job, I would doubt we want him playing anyway. Although Yeo is being portrayed as the boogeyman here, he gave Schmaltz a chance to beat Bortuzzo last year.

Even if guys like Dunn or Walman don't make the team out of camp, there will be injuries. Gunnarsson will get hurt; that's easy money. So will Bortuzzo. There will be chances. We're talking about the 3rd pairing here, though. If that makes or breaks this team, might as well not even play.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

http://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-blu ... omir-jagr/

Not a signing, but a signing I'd love to see happen on a 1-year for the very reasons outlined. Fantastic bridge to let the kids season one more year in juniors/AHL.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Given Jagr's last 4 contracts:

012-13: One year, $4 million
2013-14: One year, $5.5 million
2015-16: One year, $5.405 million
2016-17: One year, $5.515 million

It's doubtful he plays for anyone for less than 4 mil per year, or drops to anywhere near a range the Blues can afford which has to be 2.5M or less. And this likely explains why he hasn't been signed. Maybe he would play for 3M... but, again, that rules out St Louis.

Blues current cap space: 2.768

Consider last season on a bad team, Jagr had the same production as Radulov who is now making 6M+ per season with the Stars.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:Given Jagr's last 4 contracts:

012-13: One year, $4 million
2013-14: One year, $5.5 million
2015-16: One year, $5.405 million
2016-17: One year, $5.515 million

It's doubtful he plays for anyone for less than 4 mil per year, or drops to anywhere near a range the Blues can afford which has to be 2.5M or less. And this likely explains why he hasn't been signed. Maybe he would play for 3M... but, again, that rules out St Louis.

Blues current cap space: 2.768

Consider last season on a bad team, Jagr had the same production as Radulov who is now making 6M+ per season with the Stars.
I think multiple teams would take him on a one year deal in the $1-$2 range. Very little negative and potentially big upside. Also depends if you believe he has anything left in the tank or he's just too old for the league any more.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

If Radulov can command 6M+ per season for similar performance Jagr provided in 2017, 1-2M ain't going to cut it, since Jagr just did that on a bad team.

2016-17
Radulov 76 18 36 54 6PPG 10PPA
Jagr 82 16 30 46 8PPG 5PPA

That's not a 4-5M dollar difference in salary. And Radulov is 31 and not in anywhere near the shape Jagr was at the same age. Heck, Jagr is probably more fit now.

1-2M is a pipe dream teams with no cap space are counting on.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't think $1-2 mil gets it done either (unless Jagr just really wants to play in a certain city). Lots of teams would take a chance on him at that price which means his market value is higher than that.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Just toss out an offer in the 2 - 2.5 range and see if he bites. Maybe Brodeur can lure him in. The worst he can say is no.

But meh- probably won't happen anyway. And if it did, it would likely be another Paul Kariya situation- Jagr would promptly go from 16 goals to 6...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

gaijin wrote:Just toss out an offer in the 2 - 2.5 range and see if he bites. Maybe Brodeur can lure him in. The worst he can say is no.

But meh- probably won't happen anyway. And if it did, it would likely be another Paul Kariya situation- Jagr would promptly go from 16 goals to 6...
Which if kind've my point: let's say that happens. In a 1-2 million salary it's a shrug of the shoulders and maybe towards the end of the year he's more of a healthy scratch if he's only at 6 goals. Quite the un-dignified way for the a first ballot HOF to go out but that's how it goes sometimes.

One thing I find slightly ironic, and I don't know that any of you guys were bashing the Army moves that signed Thorburn, Bennett, Sundqvist, etc for maybe "taking a roster spot from the kids", but I haven't heard anyone mention Jagr would be taking a roster spot, potentially from a prospect. There's that to consider as well.

Heck, maybe check with him at the trade deadline if he's stayed in shape and still wants to play for a stretch run, scoop him up! haha. I could see a team having injury problems this season and shooting a text to Jagr "Wanna play?"

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote: One thing I find slightly ironic, and I don't know that any of you guys were bashing the Army moves that signed Thorburn, Bennett, Sundqvist, etc for maybe "taking a roster spot from the kids", but I haven't heard anyone mention Jagr would be taking a roster spot, potentially from a prospect. There's that to consider as well.
Jagr would be someone who actually produces something - not someone like Thorburn, Bennett, Sundqvist who are just more 4th line fodder. The argument is younger, more talented players would likely produce points at a better rate if given the opportunity over those 4th line fodder types. Heck, remove the Thorburn and Bennett contracts, promote kids on ECLs and the Blues could likely afford what Jagr is asking.