Barret Jackman - Is he or isn't he a good defenseman?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: Barret Jackman - Is he or isn't he a good defenseman?

Post by SteveO »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Tkachuk's such a worthless pile, I agree. :roll:

He can actually pass the puck (often to wide open guys in the slot (possibly named Winchester)), he's incredibly loyal to the fans and team (SO common in sports now-a-days), a consummate professional, able to still stir things up, chip in goals and be a capable leader on a team.

Why some of you can't understand why he's a fan favorite I can't understand why you rag on the guy. The speed of the game has NOT left him in the dust as it has with many of the older guys in the NHL (yet anyway), and still contributes. What's the problem?
I'm not sure...

I often find myself yelling at him because he hasn't hustled out of the offensive zone while someone who did, stole the puck and tried bringing it back in only to have him caught offsides. He also needs to find a new move. Skating down the wing and stopping to cut towards the center just isn't getting it done anymore. Those are a few of the "biggies" that bug me.

I would be ok if they signed him for another year or two for cheap (2ish.)

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Maybe we should have a Tkachuk thread about this instead of using a Jackman one..
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Yeah, Jackman's play has been up and down all season. But I think what he's done has been admirable. He's shouldered the load for a team that lost its Top 2 defensemen to injury. He's not a number one d-man, but he's essentially playing that role right now. Remember the game where he and Polak played most of the 2nd half of the game because of injuries that limited out D to just two guys? That's a big way to step up. I know the numbers, I've seen the misplays in his own end, but in terms of leadership this year, he's stepped up as we've put ECHLer's, depth d-men, and Peoria call ups there all year long.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I think he's a good defenseman, but will never be elite. The rule changes and shoulder injuries have changed the way he has to play the game. He seems like a good leader on and off the ice. But if you mess with him, you get waived. Just ask Yan Stastny: http://blues.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?&id=31297
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

ambill10
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ambill10 »

Isn't Jackman playing hurt right now?

Bretzky7
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Bretzky7 »

Jackman is a GOOD defenseman, he is not a great defenseman and never will be a Norris candidate. He definitely has had a few blunders but throw any other #3 type guy out for 20-25 mins a game against top players and I'm sure there will be some mistakes. Most of his mistakes seem to be him trying to play above his ability, when he keeps it simple he is very effective and I'm sure a thorn to play against. But he should be a 3 guy cause your top 2 should be able to play both ends of the ice and Jackman by trade is a lot better in the D zone.
LGB sponsor of Keith Tkachuk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Jackman (like our fan favorite, Brewer) is inconsistent. He comes out and surprises you with strong, well positioned play, and then takes long stretches off where he looks like a complete turd. It is so hard for a team to dump a guy like this because there is always that belief that you can get him to play consistently well... but the reality, from my perspective, is it may be time to turn the page on Jackman and let someone else worry about it. He does some pretty impressive things at times, and even has stretches of several games where he plays like an allstar - but then he does things that cost you games. IMO, not a player that elevates the play of his defensive partner, so not a top 3 defenseman.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Every defenseman in the league is inconsistent.

We all got spoiled watching MacInnis and Pronger for years and now we all have ridiculously high expectations for what a top defenseman should play like.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

kodos wrote:Every defenseman in the league is inconsistent.

We all got spoiled watching MacInnis and Pronger for years and now we all have ridiculously high expectations for what a top defenseman should play like.
You're right.... But the Blues also don't have a top 1-2 d-man.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I disagree that every defenseman in the league is inconsistent. Everyone makes mistakes, but I think Jackman and Brewer are notable for the width of the swings in play. Both guys could be allstars at their best, but often play like minor leaguers at critical moments and through long stretches (with Brewer sometimes several games in a row). Both Jackman and Brewer would be considered "top 3" defensemen just based on salary, minutes, and experience. I don't think you see this from "top 3" defensemen on good teams.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:

I disagree that every defenseman in the league is inconsistent. Everyone makes mistakes, but I think Jackman and Brewer are notable for the width of the swings in play. Both guys could be allstars at their best, but often play like minor leaguers at critical moments and through long stretches (with Brewer sometimes several games in a row). Both Jackman and Brewer would be considered "top 3" defensemen just based on salary, minutes, and experience. I don't think you see this from "top 3" defensemen on good teams.

I don't remember Brewer ever playing at an All Star level, and the last time I saw Jackman play that well he was on the ice with either #22 or #44.

I thought Barret finally brought back some physical nature back to his game (which was nice) but I have know idea where his head has been and he appears to think he's a forward all of a sudden.

On a good note, I think we're finaly seeing the McKee we all thought we were getting to start with.

Won't happen, but I'd look to unload both #4 and #5 in the offseason. Just too much $ tied up back there in average (at best) players.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

#22 = Brad Boyes?

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Jackman is suffering from the same syndrome Brewer did earlier in the year. That of being a #3 or 4 on a good team being thrust into #1 role. Jackman's weakness are being exploited more now with Brewer being out and he is facing the other teams best every shift. I'll bet if Brewer came back and settled into the #2 pairing he would look much better.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Yea... no. Jackman has looked better since Brewer went down.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

He did initially, but his play has slipped badly in the last month. To sub Brewer levels. Or else people wouldn't be bitching about his play.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

So the guy has one bad game against the best team in the league and suddenly his entire month was bad?

Priceless...
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Jackman has had more than one bad game this month.

ambill10
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ambill10 »

Leedog wrote:He did initially, but his play has slipped badly in the last month. To sub Brewer levels. Or else people wouldn't be bitching about his play.
A friend of mine who knows Jackman and his wife told me that Barret's been playing with a broken bone in his foot/ankle for a few weeks but that it hasn't been released publicly. Maybe my friend misunderstood, but apparently it came from a very reliable source. Look at this photo from the game on March 14th against Detroit. According to my friend the piece of dark Plexiglas on his right foot allows him to play through the injury. If he's really playing through an injury like that to help the team make a playoff run then I respect the guy for it. We are definitely better with Jackman on the ice than Strachan. I'm not saying Jackman is an ideal top defenseman, but he's the best we have available right now.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Leedog wrote:Jackman has had more than one bad game this month.
While Jackman's poor play has been exaggerated...yeah, he's had more than one bad game this month. He's had a handful of bad games, and a bunch of other so-so games. If he were a rookie, he'd have been watching a few games from the press box this year.

His "good games" have been few and far between lately. He has quite often been making Brewer-like mistakes too frequently. And damnit... not hustling to get back into the play, which directly leads to a goal deserves major criticism. He's done this a few times lately as well.

I like Jackman...some Blues fans just expect too much out of him. Like Kodos said...we expect MacInnis and Pronger-like performances out of some of these guys, when they just can't do that night in and night out like Chopper and Prongs could.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ambill10 wrote:
Leedog wrote:He did initially, but his play has slipped badly in the last month. To sub Brewer levels. Or else people wouldn't be bitching about his play.
A friend of mine who knows Jackman and his wife told me that Barret's been playing with a broken bone in his foot/ankle for a few weeks but that it hasn't been released publicly. Maybe my friend misunderstood, but apparently it came from a very reliable source. Look at this photo from the game on March 14th against Detroit. According to my friend the piece of dark Plexiglas on his right foot allows him to play through the injury. If he's really playing through an injury like that to help the team make a playoff run then I respect the guy for it. We are definitely better with Jackman on the ice than Strachan. I'm not saying Jackman is an ideal top defenseman, but he's the best we have available right now.
When I spoke with Plager last season, he said Jackman will never be like he was before he hurt his shoulder in the Bertuzzi hit. His shoulder is pretty messed up and can't take severe abuse...which is why you don't see him fight anymore and shy away from big hits.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/