GDT. Blues vs Redwings. 2pm Fox Sports HD

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT. Blues vs Redwings. 2pm Fox Sports HD

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

Looks like I was wrong big time. Good thing.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

LazyPenguin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by LazyPenguin »

Suck it Detroit!!

What a start to the season!
Official LGB Sponsor of Erik Johnson

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

SUCK IT, DETROIT.

Also, I want pics of tacos tomorrow. This WAS a home game.

Walt musta had an extra donut with his caramel mocha this morning.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

not a good start. but this team is looking good! Lots of talent up front

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

:banana: :banana: :detsucks: :banana:
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

Great game!! Looks like we finally have 2 legitimate goalies. That coupled with a tremendous PP is going to carry us far. I can't wait to watch us play a whole game. :wink:
I love hockey. Period.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

I have to give credit to Coach Murray. The turning point of this game was the timeout he called in the first period. :letsgoblues:

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Niiicccccceeeeee!

Detroit can just suck me!

:detsucks: :letsgoblues:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

Hullie
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Hullie »

St. Louis goaltending > Detroit goaltending

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Hullie wrote:St. Louis goaltending > Detroit goaltending
Totally agree! That may hurt you guys in the loooong run!
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

A goofy goal to start the game, and then a nice goal by Cleary in front....all in the first couple minutes of the game. Detroit came out on fire.
But the Blues did good to weather the storm. They gave up a lot of shots early, and they were able to bend without breaking, so to speak.

Detroit is a very good team. They are going to get pressure like that on just about every team they play, every night...that's just the way it is. You just have to be able to survive without giving up the "great chances", keep them to the outside, clog up the slot, and wait for the storm to pass. That's exactly what the Blues did. Detroit had a ton of pressure, and a lot of shots early, but they really didn't have a lot of glorious chances. Their best scoring chances saw them shooting wide most of the night.

Detroit definitely owned the first period, but the Blues were only down 2-1. Then St. Louis came back to tie the game in the 2nd...then fall behind 3-2 on a very nice goal by Kronwall. But that's all the Wings had left. The Blues took over for the rest of the game, scoring two more goals in the 2nd to lead going into the 3rd, 4-3...and then scoring one more in the 3rd period.

The Blues have played extremely well in the 3rd period with the lead in both games so far against a world class team (with poor goaltending). They deserve major credit for that.
And speaking of goaltending, Detroit may have the worst goaltending in the league again, maybe even worse than last year...and after losing 80+ goals from the lineup they aren't going anywhere with their goaltending...unless Howard is a diamond in the rough...and he didn't show us anything today.

I am quite happy with our goaltending...and I am happy we have Conklin backing up Mason. The Wings were foolish to let him go.

The 2009-2010 St. Louis Blues are extremely fun team to watch. This is shaping up to be a fun season. :letsgoblues: :detsucks:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Now I'm even more pissed that my washing machine exploded today. If I didn't have to mop up the water all afternoon, I wouldn't have shut it down when they were losing 2-0.

Or maybe the trend is Blues play like ass when I'm in flashchat and turn it on when I leave. Hmmmm. We'll see what happens the rest of the season.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues rolled 4 lines like yesterday. Only one forward (Berglund) had less than 10 minutes of ice time and he was barely under 10 minutes. Jackman and Polak were again the only guys over 20 minutes on D, but that's mostly due to PK time. Backes, Steen, McClement, McDonald were the only forwards to log more than 15 minutes.

If the Blues can keep rolling 4 lines like that all season, they are going to win lots of games later. Both of these games, the Blues started winning more battles on the boards the further the game progressed and were quicker to get to loose pucks in the 2nd and 3rd. If they can eliminate the slow starts, the Blues could be way better than most of us expect.

Conklin is better than Howard as a backup. The HNIC guys showed part of why Howard gave up those two soft five hole guys and used Conklin as an example of how not to give those up. Howard has some weird "cheater" things inside the legs of his pads and they keep him from getting flat on the ice as fast as other goalies. Conklin's pads are flat against his legs at the same spot Howard has the cheater things sticking out.

Yes, Conklin got off to a slow start, but those first two goals by Detroit would be hard for any goalie in the league to stop.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Philo
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Philo »

That was one hell of a game.when was the last time the Blues won back to back from the Deadwings?
"Philo can stalk with impunity"Goon Attack

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Anyones goaltending is > Detroit goaltending. Osgood shows success because he has a dynamo offense in front of him. For chrissake wasn't his save percentage .887 last year with more than a 3 GA? That's awful for the #1 man and if Howard was any better he'd obviously have won the starting job.

What the Blues showed was not so much that they could score on Detroit, but that they could keep Detroit's offense basically at bay. As long as they can keep rolling the lines and putting up goals, which I don't envision as a problem since this team has so much balance and gets production from both the likely and unlikely suspects, the big thing is just playing a sound defense. Against teams with arguably weaker offense than Detroit, that probably shouldn't be a major problem most nights. They proved they could basically do it against a tough opponent.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And the Blues swept Detroit without Armstrong playing a single minute. He was probably the Blues best forward this pre-season. 5 G 4 A in 7 games is pretty doggone good, even if it was preseason.

Looking forward to the lineup when he's in and one of the lesser forwards (Winchester) is out.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Looking forward to seeing Pietrangelo instead of, I guess, Sydor or Weaver.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Hullie wrote:St. Louis > Detroit
Fixed. The better team won both games. Quit whining.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="theohall"]And the Blues swept Detroit without Armstrong playing a single minute. He was probably the Blues best forward this pre-season. 5 G 4 A in 7 games is pretty doggone good, even if it was preseason.

Looking forward to the lineup when he's in and one of the lesser forwards (Winchester) is out.[/quote]

Armstrong is an okay energy guy and decent forechecker, and good on the PK. But Winchester hits hard, is also good on the forecheck, and his big body wears on the opponents through the game. He can also make room for his more skilled linemates on a scoring line. I wasn't a big fan of his, originally. But, I'm starting to see why Murray likes to use him. I don't think I'd take Winchester out just to put Armstrong in. Steen would have to move up to Winchester's line, and Armstrong would join McClement's line. I think the 4 lines worked fine the way Murray used them.