Conklin or Mason

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: Conklin or Mason

Post by Battra »

kodos wrote:What's the hobby? Homoerotic man crushes on men who get paid to smack a rubber disc around some ice?
No, that's a gay crush. A mancrush is when you want to like hang out with the guy and be friends with him.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in hanging out with any hockey players really. All I'd have to say to them, is gee, you play hockeyz good. Please sign my hat....nah...I only want signatures on my gamers.

The hobby would be collecting game worn jerseys. Presently I have gamers from the: NAHL, UHL, ECHL, AHL, and NHL. In the past I had IHL (the real one, not the fake bit), the QSPHL (now LNAH), and OHL.

I'm not a hardcore collector by any stretch...there are some who never wash them...and leave them in the exact condition they were worn...which has always seemed very strange to me...there are some collectors who will ONLY have their jerseys signed on the fight strap...also seems silly to me.

Learning about all the things collectors look for...pilling, puck marks, rips, burns, tears, repairs. My Brewer 07-08 Set 1 Away has some very nice burns, tears, and a 6 inch long stitch up. My Ryan Johnson River Otters 04-05 Green Alt has nothing...he was too fast for the guys in the UHL.

My NAHL Bandits jersey has all kinds of wear because they only have one set of jerseys.

My Sanford 06-07 Blues Set 1 White gamer has a very nice puck mark on the left shoulder about the size of a baseball, that I used to photomatch it.

All kinds of stuff like that. You can actually learn quite a bit at www.meigray.com

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

kodos wrote:Did you have a worry about Sanford?
Oh, now I know what you're talking about.

No. I didn't, except staying healthy.

Sanford's second season in the NHL was uncharted territory.
Last edited by Battra on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Battra wrote:I have a worry about Mason. Very few people seem to hold this view. That's fine. I had a worry about Toivonen, etc.
You know, it's pretty easy to "have a worry" about Blues goaltenders, since most/all of them tend to leave town having failed. I'm not sure you're blazing a new trail there. But, Mason played like a rockstar last year and has shown signs this year as well. You ride him as the number 1 unless he shows otherwise, or Conlkin posts crazy shutouts in all of his backup starts.

Not a difficult concept, really.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

ohio BLUES wrote:
Battra wrote:I have a worry about Mason. Very few people seem to hold this view. That's fine. I had a worry about Toivonen, etc.
You know, it's pretty easy to "have a worry" about Blues goaltenders, since most/all of them tend to leave town having failed. I'm not sure you're blazing a new trail there. But, Mason played like a rockstar last year and has shown signs this year as well. You ride him as the number 1 unless he shows otherwise, or Conlkin posts crazy shutouts in all of his backup starts.

I didn't see Mason as playing like a rockstar. I saw the team coming together as one and playing some of the best and most entertaining hockey I've seen in St. Louis down the stretch. It was a magical time. Mason didn't wow me. He was very, VERY solid, but not spectacular.

As I stated in the first post, my concern about Mason is that he's been down this path before in Nashville. I think from the games I've seen, Mace could've played a bit better...just my opinion. I'd very much like to be wrong on this one, but I'm not sold on this guy.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

ohio BLUES wrote:

Pretty much every single goaltender in the NHL leaves their respective towns as failures. It's part of the job.

How many guys in the last 20 years have been considered big successes for their teams for more then 2 or 3 years? It's less then 10. And in that same amount of time, you've had hundreds of "failures" and flashes in the pans. It's just how it works.

Predicting a goalie isn't going to work out isn't rocket science. It's almost like predicting that McDonalds will still be selling fries tomorrow.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Battra wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:

I didn't see Mason as playing like a rockstar. I saw the team coming together as one and playing some of the best and most entertaining hockey I've seen in St. Louis down the stretch. It was a magical time. Mason didn't wow me. He was very, VERY solid, but not spectacular.

As I stated in the first post, my concern about Mason is that he's been down this path before in Nashville. I think from the games I've seen, Mace could've played a bit better...just my opinion. I'd very much like to be wrong on this one, but I'm not sold on this guy.
Did you watch any of the games? Mason played better in the second half then any blues goaltender I've ever seen.

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

kodos wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:

Pretty much every single goaltender in the NHL leaves their respective towns as failures. It's part of the job.

How many guys in the last 20 years have been considered big successes for their teams for more then 2 or 3 years? It's less then 10. And in that same amount of time, you've had hundreds of "failures" and flashes in the pans. It's just how it works.

Predicting a goalie isn't going to work out isn't rocket science. It's almost like predicting that McDonalds will still be selling fries tomorrow.
Interesting point of view.

I don't necessarily agree, but I see your point.

Mason flopped in Nashville when he was in this position, and that's what worries me. He just fell flat on his face, which was how we came to acquire him. My hypothesis is that he's lacking a bit of self confidence and needs the fire under his arse daily.

Hmm...big success in the NHL for more than 2-3 years...well...I guess that depends on what we're calling a big success...going all the way back to 1989....

I'd say:

Luongo for FLA/VAN
Belfour for CHI
Roy for MTL/COL
Broduer for NJD
Richter for NYR
Fuhr for STL
Hasek for BUF/DET
Marc-Andre Fluery for PIT
Hextall for PHI
Kipprusoff for CAL
Lalime for OTT

There's 11. I'm basing these selections off of this criteria: either great playoff success or continued regular season success that lead to playoffs and a reasonable run in them at least once or twice, if not Stanley Cup Championship or Finals.

There's more to it than being a big success though...It's about how stable is our goaltending? We keep grinding the keepers out...

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

kodos wrote:
Battra wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:

Did you watch any of the games? Mason played better in the second half then any blues goaltender I've ever seen.
Yes. I watched and attended as many games as I could. From time to time he'd have a great save, and he played really, really well. I think he largely got that magical number of shots. Each goalie has a number of shots hardwired into his head that he wants to face per game....too many...or too few...get messed up. (CuJo's number was about 40...lol).

They played and won as a team. Was Mason the reason? Nope. It was symbiotic, he played better than Legace did, and the team got comfortable and went on a run. Once the chemistry worked out...they went to town, and it was glorious.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Another four pages? HOF! HOF! HOF!
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Another four pages? HOF! HOF! HOF!
:?:
Let's Go Blooze!!!

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Battra wrote:
kodos wrote:What's the hobby? Homoerotic man crushes on men who get paid to smack a rubber disc around some ice?
No, that's a gay crush. A mancrush is when you want to like hang out with the guy and be friends with him.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in hanging out with any hockey players really. All I'd have to say to them, is gee, you play hockeyz good. Please sign my hat....nah...I only want signatures on my gamers.

The hobby would be collecting game worn jerseys. Presently I have gamers from the: NAHL, UHL, ECHL, AHL, and NHL. In the past I had IHL (the real one, not the fake bit), the QSPHL (now LNAH), and OHL.

I'm not a hardcore collector by any stretch...there are some who never wash them...and leave them in the exact condition they were worn...which has always seemed very strange to me...there are some collectors who will ONLY have their jerseys signed on the fight strap...also seems silly to me.

Learning about all the things collectors look for...pilling, puck marks, rips, burns, tears, repairs. My Brewer 07-08 Set 1 Away has some very nice burns, tears, and a 6 inch long stitch up. My Ryan Johnson River Otters 04-05 Green Alt has nothing...he was too fast for the guys in the UHL.

My NAHL Bandits jersey has all kinds of wear because they only have one set of jerseys.

My Sanford 06-07 Blues Set 1 White gamer has a very nice puck mark on the left shoulder about the size of a baseball, that I used to photomatch it.

All kinds of stuff like that. You can actually learn quite a bit at http://www.meigray.com
All three are solid picks.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

Kohl
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Kohl »

150 replies??? I just wanted thoughts on who would start THAT game...lol

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

VictorManthing wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:Another four pages? HOF! HOF! HOF!
:?:
I'll see your

and raise you

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
:lol:

Jesus Christ! This might be my new favorite thread!

comeoriginal
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by comeoriginal »

strocklen083 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Because of the post right above yours? 8)
Unofficial LGB Sponsor of glen a richter

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

comeoriginal wrote:

Damn! Look at the newbie talkin a little smack. I like it.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

So Battra....

What flaws did you see in the goaltending tonight? Is Mason ready to collapse yet or do you think he's got another week or two in him before he crumbles?

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

strocklen083 wrote:
comeoriginal wrote:

That's what I said, I like his style.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

section319 wrote:
strocklen083 wrote:
comeoriginal wrote:
strocklen083 wrote:Jesus Christ! This might be my new favorite thread!

That's what I said, I like his style.
I too find myself on the noob bandwagon. I want to buy him dinner... in a heterosexual way.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

strocklen083 wrote:So Battra....

What flaws did you see in the goaltending tonight? Is Mason ready to collapse yet or do you think he's got another week or two in him before he crumbles?
Sorry, I'm in school on Mondays and Wednesdays...so I saw nothing. :(

I remembered to check the score of the game when I was into my 3rd double bourbon and Coke though...:)