What would make the Blues awesome?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

What would make the Blues awesome?

Post by xbleed83bluex »

What would make the Blues stop SUCKING?

If I was asked this question last season, I would reply: getting back Kariya, one of the best players in the NHL, and Johnson, a 1st overall draft pick, back from injury. Now that I know that's not the case, there must be something else.

A new coach maybe?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: What would make the Blues awesome?

Post by OS »

1) A legitimate #1 defenseman.

2) A new coach
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

ilhockeyguy
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by ilhockeyguy »

Losing Johnson to something (who seems to be out of position constantly, never set to shoot the puck, wants to get tip ins like Pronger used to do, and is a lot slower than I remember) to something like swine flu or an STD for a few weeks

Trading Sydor for Mckee

Getting rid of the Keil Phantom....

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

if they actually played like they cared, they could bond as a team and become a juggernaut. But they're pussies, so I won't expect that anytime soon.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

goon attack wrote:if they actually played like they cared, they could bond as a team and become a juggernaut. But they're pussies, so I won't expect that anytime soon.
:plusplus:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

xbleed83bluex wrote:What would make the Blues stop SUCKING?

If I was asked this question last season, I would reply: getting back Kariya, one of the best players in the NHL, and Johnson, a 1st overall draft pick, back from injury. Now that I know that's not the case, there must be something else.

A new coach maybe?
DUGGGEY WAAIATSSHZZ!!!!

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

If they just went into total thug-mode just to piss off Murray. Start blingin' out, weaaring helmets crooked, that sort of thing. THAT would be awesome.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

Another 2-3 years.
Let's Go Blooze!!!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

1) A new coach
Fans tolerate Murray when we're winning...and I'm one of them...but his act wears thin real quick when the team is struggling. The crap he pulls with benching young players for a sub-par game, but giving a free pass to veterans like Brewer, Tkachuk, etc...doesn't make sense. Petro needs to play, period. The defense isn't good enough for Murray to be putting a young and talented player in the press box 90% of the time just because he is young.
And I absolutely can't stand how we have completely different line combos every single night. How are guys supposed to get in any kind of rhythm when they have different line mates every other shift?
Who should we get to replace Murray? Pat Burns...Wayne Gretzky...Ron Francis?
How about Burns as head coach and Gretzky and Francis as assistant coaches? Ohhhh.....

2) A "top 10 in the league" scoring threat
We have a lot of good young players who will put up good offensive numbers, but we don't have that potent offensive player night in and night out. Boyes is as close as we have, and he's way too streaky to be a top 10 guy.

3) Another legimate scoring threat from the blue line
Petro could be that guy, but he needs to actually play to put up points. You don't win in this league without a significant amount of points from the blue line, and we need a Robin to Erik Johnson's Batman.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

cprice12 wrote:1) A new coach
Fans tolerate Murray when we're winning...and I'm one of them...but his act wears thin real quick when the team is struggling. The crap he pulls with benching young players for a sub-par game, but giving a free pass to veterans like Brewer, Tkachuk, etc...doesn't make sense. Petro needs to play, period. The defense isn't good enough for Murray to be putting a young and talented player in the press box 90% of the time just because he is young.
And I absolutely can't stand how we have completely different line combos every single night. How are guys supposed to get in any kind of rhythm when they have different line mates every other shift?
Who should we get to replace Murray? Pat Burns...Wayne Gretzky...Ron Francis?
How about Burns as head coach and Gretzky and Francis as assistant coaches? Ohhhh.....

2) A "top 10 in the league" scoring threat
We have a lot of good young players who will put up good offensive numbers, but we don't have that potent offensive player night in and night out. Boyes is as close as we have, and he's way too streaky to be a top 10 guy.

3) Another legimate scoring threat from the blue line
Petro could be that guy, but he needs to actually play to put up points. You don't win in this league without a significant amount of points from the blue line, and we need a Robin to Erik Johnson's Batman.
Well said Curt.

One thing to add though: its not new line combos every night. its EVERY SHIFT. One thing goes sour in a game and Murray is completely reshuffling the lines. In order to have chemistry, you have to play with someone more than three times sporadically in any given night.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Curt ftw.
pretty much is it. Murray confuses the crap out of me, all the while pissing me off
Time for some insane skill.
Boyes needs to actually try out there. he is lazy as shit.
more aggression, more hitting, try skating.
Petro should be out there.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

goon attack wrote:if they actually played like they cared, they could bond as a team and become a juggernaut. But they're pussies, so I won't expect that anytime soon.
This.
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Fans tolerate Murray when we're winning...and I'm one of them...but his act wears thin real quick when the team is struggling.
really enlightening Curt. :wink:

COACHING
In seriousness, I agree. When a coach has the talent and the team isn't winning, it falls on the coach. Granted, that we "have the talent" can definitely be disputed but its not like we got AHL'ers playing on the 3rd and 4th lines like we did in 05-06. From the time Murray has taken over till now, the Blues have been nothing but one been streaky team and this season is showing that doesn't look to be changing any time soon and I have GOT to believe that's not all the players. It can't be.

SCORERS
Call me crazy, this actually doesn't bother me. While the Blues may not have a highlight-reel guy out there that produces "night in and night out," what the Blues don't have in a marquee player they make up for with depth. We got more than a handful of guys that can put in at least 20 a year. Feel free to disagree

DEFENSE
Never thought I'd say this, you really notice when Brewer and Jackman aren't out there. During the Penguins game this was painfully obvious that we didn't have any steady dmen out there not freaking out half the time. I'm with you guys- give all the young guys the ice they want or can handle, and if the rewards don't fully flesh out this year... let 'em get used to playing alongside one another and next year tear it up. But its either let them play now or go through the pains later. Do it now.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record here, especially to the flashchat posse, but with tonight's Rangers game still in progress, Michael Del Zotto, who went 16 picks after Alex Pietrangelo, has 11 points in 11 + games on the young season. The Rangers have a very talented young team, something the Blues WOULD definitely have if Murray wasn't such a dipstick about how he handles the kids... something the Blues WOULD definitely have if a scorer who went down to injury was replaced by another scorer from Peoria instead of a goon who gets injured 4 seconds into his season or another goon who works 5 minutes a night and has no relevant purpose on this team other than to be the token "dude from St. Louis who the fans can get behind".
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

comeoriginal
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by comeoriginal »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Fans tolerate Murray when we're winning...and I'm one of them...but his act wears thin real quick when the team is struggling.
really enlightening Curt. :wink:

COACHING
In seriousness, I agree. When a coach has the talent and the team isn't winning, it falls on the coach. Granted, that we "have the talent" can definitely be disputed but its not like we got AHL'ers playing on the 3rd and 4th lines like we did in 05-06. From the time Murray has taken over till now, the Blues have been nothing but one been streaky team and this season is showing that doesn't look to be changing any time soon and I have GOT to believe that's not all the players. It can't be.

SCORERS
Call me crazy, this actually doesn't bother me. While the Blues may not have a highlight-reel guy out there that produces "night in and night out," what the Blues don't have in a marquee player they make up for with depth. We got more than a handful of guys that can put in at least 20 a year. Feel free to disagree

DEFENSE
Never thought I'd say this, you really notice when Brewer and Jackman aren't out there. During the Penguins game this was painfully obvious that we didn't have any steady dmen out there not freaking out half the time. I'm with you guys- give all the young guys the ice they want or can handle, and if the rewards don't fully flesh out this year... let 'em get used to playing alongside one another and next year tear it up. But its either let them play now or go through the pains later. Do it now.
Unofficial LGB Sponsor of glen a richter

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Let's answer this question in the context of realistic things that could happen. We're not going to find, draft, trade for, etc. an Alex Ovechkin type of player. We had our chance to pick a top offensive threat in 2006 and it just so happened that EJ was the best available talent... sandwiched between Ovechkin (2004), Crosby (2005), Kane (2007), Stamkos (2008) and Tavares (2009). Blues lose again.

But I digress. The actual things that could happen are Murray being let go for someone who will make sense behind the bench every once in a while, for all the reasons written so far in this thread, and 60 minutes of effort every night. IMO it's especially inexcusable at this point in the season, when the Blues purposefully (to avoid Cardinal baseball) have games that are relatively few and far between (in comparison to torrid January-March stretches).
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I think it's pretty clear that this team is a talented team offensively, even without a superstar forward. But Murray doesn't play to that strength.

When you put Oshie on the 4th line with Cam Janssen, there is something messed up in Murray's head. Putting an extremely talented offensive player with a player who has no offensive talent whatsoever, is mindboggling.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

To be fair, Ohio, no one is going to draft an Alex Ovechkin type player because Alex Ovechkin is, bar none, the best player in the game. Leaps and bounds, or at the very least a leap, ahead of Crosby and Malkin.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

glen a richter wrote:To be fair, Ohio, no one is going to draft an Alex Ovechkin type player because Alex Ovechkin is, bar none, the best player in the game. Leaps and bounds, or at the very least a leap, ahead of Crosby and Malkin.
In an alternate universe, the Blues would draft Alex Ovechkin.

But I was really just talking about a Top 10 scoring threat. Kind of stupid to talk about the Top 1 in that case huh :lol:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie