GDT: Flames @ Blues, November 5th, 2009, 7PM CDT

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT: Flames @ Blues, November 5th, 2009, 7PM CDT

Post by Nyghtewynd »

And Ellar gets the assist! :)
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Finally!

Only regret: not muting the tv in time to miss teh inevitable "Thank you, thank you, thank you" from mush mouth.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:And Ellar gets the assist! :)
nope, GOAL!!! :grin:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Blues are pourin it on now, awesome...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Unneeded stat of the night.

When the Blues scored it was the first time in 171 minutes. 8 minutes shy of the club record.

WER TEH AWESUM!!!

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Game's first star: with one goal and one assist, teh capitan!
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Blues dominated the final part of the game.

That'll make losing suck that much more..... :cry:

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

And we lose again. Fire Murray already. It's getting awfully late in the season to keep putting up with this crap.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Eric Brewer is more of an ice dancer than a hockey player.

And he's snakebit here in St. Louis. Time to trade him for whatever we can get in return.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Kevin Wheeler said on KMOX that the Blues are averaging 4.5 goals per game in their wins, 1 goal per game in their losses. And the similarities to last season are appalling.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

What a bucket of crap.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I've only been able to watch 4 or so games since the opening weekend...they've all been brutal. When they showed the lines at the start of the game they actually showed Janssen as being on the top line. I had higher hopes for scoring from our "enforcer" when Reed Low was out there. Remember him schooling Patrick Roy on that beauty of a goal? :lol:

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Brewer is a slug. Guy has no foot speed, plays like and undersized girl, and is currently tied for second worst +/- on the team - in only three short games! Captain my ass. The guy represents everything that is wrong with Andy Murray as coach of this hockey team. And there is no reason on the green earth of God he should be getting as much ice time as he has been since his return. None.

We have young, fast, and creative forwards and "The Scheme" seems tailor made for a collection of late-career-Dallas-Drake-type players. News flash, coach, Scott Mellanby retired years ago. The kids can play that game if the coach asks them to, but it's like asking your friend if you can borrow his ferrari to pick up mulch from Home Depot.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ZigZagBluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by ZigZagBluesFan »

For everyone wanting to trade Brewer, it may not be that easy. I believe captain has a no trade clause...

Food for thought...and illness.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:We have young, fast, and creative forwards and "The Scheme" seems tailor made for a collection of late-career-Dallas-Drake-type players. News flash, coach, Scott Mellanby retired years ago. The kids can play that game if the coach asks them to, but it's like asking your friend if you can borrow his ferrari to pick up mulch from Home Depot.
Murray is a good coach...but not for the system this team needs to play. Give Murray a bunch of grinders, and he can win games (stay ~.500). They excel in Murray's system. A fast, young, offensively talented team will never excel under the current system coach Murray has employed. Even when we went on our incredible run last year, we weren't scoring many goals. His system does not promote the fast paced offensive freedom this team needs. Murray needs to realize this and change the way he thinks. Until then, this team will never blow people away like it has the capability to do.
I love hockey. Period.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

ZigZagBluesFan wrote:For everyone wanting to trade Brewer, it may not be that easy. I believe captain has a no trade clause...

Food for thought...and illness.
So what? That's easily fixed... he doesn't have a "No Healthy Scratch" clause or a "No take backs on Captain's C" clause, does he? Cause I am pretty sure both of those things would him amenable to a trade.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

I thought Eller looked really good in his first career NHL game. Hopefully he can keep it going and earn a full time spot here sooner rather than later.
Let's Go Blooze!!!

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

ZigZagBluesFan wrote:For everyone wanting to trade Brewer, it may not be that easy. I believe captain has no trade value...

Fixed :okman:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The level of suck is epic. Sweetred hit it on the head, I believe.

in 171 minutes, the only guy to score a goal is the guy brought up as an emergency recall, in his first NHL game no less. When he's no longer needed, will Murray want him sent back in favor of his precious grinders?

With the right coach (a guy who will promote an offensive system), everyone who should be scoring would be scoring including the defensemen. Was not Carlo brought in to alleviate some of the ailing offense caused by the absence of EJ last year? As I see it, EJ is good for a bunch of assists, Pietrangelo needs to get more of a fair shot, and the rest of the defense is good for the garbage pail (offensively). It's evident from the recent draft history that JD and co. are trying to get a group of dynamic offensive defensemen onto this roster, but Murray will undoubtedly crap them away. Again, backtracking to Jonas Junland--why the hell is he not up here? So he might be somewhat of a defensive liability NOW, but shouldn't he be here learning how to play D from the defensive veterans? Isn't that why Sydor is here--to teach EJ how to play a strong defensive game? Why can't he be used in the same role with Junland? He sure as hell isn't here to help the team not suck. And Junland would put up sorely needed points too.

Michael DelZotto is more or less thriving in John Tortorella's system, a 20th overall pick, who went 16 picks AFTER Alex Pietrangelo is putting up points and will probably continue to do so. That whole damn team is performing well under Torts offensive minded system. Are they a cup contending team? Not yet. Are they a hell of a lot closer under Torts than the Blues are under Murray? Hell yeah. And what exactly is the difference in roster structure between the Blues and the Rangers? Apart from Marian Gaborik, I don't see that team overflowing with superstars. Lundqvist is good, but his personal stats are nearly identical to the combined stats of Chris Mason and Ty Conklin so far this year. The difference is Lundqvist has more wins and the Rangers aren't playing like total shat.

The Rangers are scoring 3 and a quarter goals/game average, the Blues are scoring 2.3 goals/game average. With as many potential scorers on this team, that could easily be equal or higher the Rangers number.

Torts > Murray. Offensive minded coaches > Defensive minded coaches in the post-lockout NHL.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

glen a richter wrote:It's evident from the recent draft history that JD and co. are trying to get a group of dynamic offensive defensemen onto this roster, but Murray will undoubtedly crap them away. Again, backtracking to Jonas Junland--why the hell is he not up here?
Junland isn't here because in management's view, there is no room for him/he isn't ready (yet). Remember JD and Co make the decisions about who to call up and who to put on the roster. The only decisions Murray makes is the line combinations and who the scratches are. I'm sure Murray has some influence, but he doesn't make the roster.

My opinion is that it's not the system. Believe it or not, last year proved that the system CAN work. With that being said, this years team still needs to find its own identity (and find out if last years system can work again this year). IMO, the biggest area in which the Blues could benefit is if Murray toned down the over-coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on this team had played with everyone else for at least a couple shifts at one time or another. I think Murray stays thinking in the short-term too much and needs to look down the road a little more. Too much coaching, too much thinking, too much reacting to what other teams are doing. I know I sound like Strickland at this point, but for all his "stay tuned's" I think he's got a point here.
Let's Go Blooze!!!