Fire Murray?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Fire Murray?

Fire Murray
40%
Fire Murray
5%
Aode is a Tool
48%
Fire Murray
8%

Total votes: 40

Ace
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: Fire Murray?

Post by Ace »

northwest dave wrote:
Ace wrote:The organization needs to realize that Crombeen and Winchester aren't NHL players first.
Winchester yes, but Crombeen has been part of the PK crew which was the only reason we got a tie today.
Key word there is today. Hasn't the PK been mediocre this year? Crombeen isn't an important piece to the PK IMHO either way.

comeoriginal
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by comeoriginal »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
BF44 wrote:In the last two games, the Blues have done everything right except in one area... putting the puck in the net. All of the coaching, instruction, drilling and bag skating in the WORLD isn't going to teach shooters how to hit the target.

Andy Murray didn't let one in from teh blue line today. Andy Murray didn't keep hitting Hedberg in the crest with pucks. Andy Murray didn't miss by 2 feet in teh shootout........

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Using this logic, JD should offer Murray a lifetime contract.
:letsgoblues:
Unofficial LGB Sponsor of glen a richter

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Ace wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Ace wrote:The organization needs to realize that Crombeen and Winchester aren't NHL players first.
Winchester yes, but Crombeen has been part of the PK crew which was the only reason we got a tie today.
Key word there is today. Hasn't the PK been mediocre this year? Crombeen isn't an important piece to the PK IMHO either way.
PK has been top 10 in the NHL thus far.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The question is who replaces Murray? And, no, Al MacInnis isn't the right answer.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

I say you see what happens over this long homestand, if we still have only won 1 game at home by the end of it then, I think you need to get rid of him.

And I don't know that I would lump Crombeen in with Winchester, at least Crombeen is still pretty young, while Winchester is like what? 28-29?
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

About the best thing I can say in his defense is something that's already been touched on- the blues aren't getting rocked out there.

Even if its the goaltending more than the defense- the Blues are still not getting killed and they should have won tonight if not for the fluky bounces.

I understand the frustration and I don't think the start to this season is what any of us had in mind, but at the same time I think its still too early to fire Murray. As for the "threshold of the level of suck" required to can him, I don't think there's a clear answer to that. I would say by Decemberish if the Blues are still clawing for points he should be let go. IMO
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="BF44"]In the last two games, the Blues have done everything right except in one area... putting the puck in the net. All of the coaching, instruction, drilling and bag skating in the WORLD isn't going to teach shooters how to hit the target.

Andy Murray didn't let one in from teh blue line today. Andy Murray didn't keep hitting Hedberg in the crest with pucks. Andy Murray didn't miss by 2 feet in teh shootout........

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:[/quote]

But Murray IS the coach who wants BOTH King and Janssen on his NHL roster, rather than Eller. After Eller was the BEST Blues' forward on the ice last night, Murray plays him 8.5 minutes (only 3 minutes more than Janssen-in a run of Games in which The Blues are scoring almost zilch. Eller played ZERO minutes in overtime (where a goal is needed to win). Crombeen playe 16.5 minutes, while Oshie, Berglund and Eller played less than 10. Pietrangelo helps the offence immensely. And although he makes a few mistakes (as all defencemen do (including Weaver, Colaiacovo, Sydor, Jackman and Brewer), Murray insists on overexposing their marginal "experienced D-men, while limiting Pietrangelo's minutes. There should not still be talk of sending Pietrangelo to uniors, or Eller to Peoria.

But, even more maddening than Murray's penchant for playing marginal career minor leaguers and slowed, aged over-the-hill veterans rather than young, talented rookies and 2nd year men, is his game strategy. He plays every game "not to lose", rather than to win. He tries to sit on one-goal and 2-goal leads for half a game. In overtime, -EVEN against Eastern teams, he place defence-first. The Blues will NEVER play with Killer Instinct with Murray at the helm. He is holding them down.

Kariya, Boyes,Tkachuk, McDonald, Brewer and Jackman are NOT the players that will lead The Blues to The Stanley Cup. Johnson, Pietrangelo, Rundblad, Cole, Eller, Oshie, Berglund, Perron, and maybe Backes are. Murray is not a coach to lead them to it. Let them get the NHL minutes they need to develop in decent time, while also changing the outlook and confidence of the team. Everyone should be having fun playing the game they love (not looking over their shoulders on every play worried they'll be benched for a little mistake. A player like Boyes should be benched if he's not backchecking or going full out to win battles for pucks or cover for his shiftmates. Accountability should be uniform.

I'd rather see what the kids can do (including Junland, maybe Strachan (a little), maybe a trial for Palushaj and Drazenovic), but certainly, more time for the 19-22 year olds already on the team. That won't happen at all, or the process will be strung out too long under Murray-and it will be more difficult to get a fun, winning atmosphere with Murry at the helm.

I was disappointed when he was rehired, and I'd like to see him replaced. I understand that it's early in the season, and his team did well last year. But, he's got to leave before The Blues take the next step, -so, the earlier the better. I know JD won't fire him until this season looks a lot worse. But, I think that is a mistake.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Well said. :plusplus:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Ace wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Yes he has. Look at the stats for the couple of games, especially the past 4. Crombeen has been on PK for awhile now.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

If Andy Murray is unwilling to admit and correct his power play coaching (27th) and distribution of game minutes for young talent, then he should be held accountable for his position.

Blobcat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blobcat »

Murray is a good coach, but he seems to have a shelf life of about 2- 3 years tops where he is really getting the best out of the team. I'm not a fan of changing coaches midseason, but I don't follow the Blues closely. How is Murray with the young players? The Blues have a real nice young core and these kids need to continue to improve to take the team to the next level. I'm not sure if Andy is the guy that can grow with the kids though.

The season is only 15 games young , so I'd give Murray another month before I would panic. That said ,the West is tight this year and points look a little harder to come by with the improvements in Colorado and Dallas. Hopefully the Blues serve up another stinker on Tuesday because Vancouver needs all the help it can get right now with all of the injuries.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

BF44 wrote:In the last two games, the Blues have done everything right except in one area... putting the puck in the net.
Unless a team is having an off night, the Blues will never excel in that area under Andy Murray. Plain and simple, with or without Murray, this team needs a new system catered to the skill of the players.
I love hockey. Period.

Jackman_the_Iceman
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman_the_Iceman »

I like Murray, I really do....BUT my biggest fear with him at the helm is what if he is setting our rebuild back instead of moving it forward. What I mean is that with all the young prospects we have coming up what if his system stunts their growth and that sets the players potential ceiling back a couple clicks. Instead of some of our players becoming a Kane or Toews type offensive player, they become more of a 50-60 point forward and thats about as good as it gets with them. These playing years for our prospects are REAL important. I am a firm believer that some of the NHL's duds of the past decades could have been very good players if they were brought along right. I hope this post is coherent and reflects the point I am trying to make.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="Jackman_the_Iceman"]I like Murray, I really do....BUT my biggest fear with him at the helm is what if he is setting our rebuild back instead of moving it forward. What I mean is that with all the young prospects we have coming up what if his system stunts their growth and that sets the players potential ceiling back a couple clicks. Instead of some of our players becoming a Kane or Toews type offensive player, they become more of a 50-60 point forward and thats about as good as it gets with them. These playing years for our prospects are REAL important. I am a firm believer that some of the NHL's duds of the past decades could have been very good players if they were brought along right. I hope this post is coherent and reflects the point I am trying to make.[/quote]

I don't think Murray's system can make Eller, Berglund or Oshie into 50-point players, when they would have otherwise progressed into 80-point players (unless he'll be their coach for their entire careers. But his way of choosing a roster, ice time, and his system could set their development back (e.g. cause them to take 1-2 years more to reach a certain level of play).

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Jackman_the_Iceman wrote:his system stunts their growth and that sets the players potential ceiling back
Save time writing blogs and long posts by summarizing your discontent with Murray's distribution of ice time for young players by using two simple words...

Jock Block

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

not to be confused with...

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:If Andy Murray is unwilling to admit and correct his power play coaching (27th) and distribution of game minutes for young talent, then he should be held accountable for his position.
Ummm...did he not take Kariya off the PP unit and completely rearrange it??? And did he not play Eller in the last couple of games?? Eller wasn't that great today...he was ok, but he was not the same as he was against Philly.

The Blues have one of the youngest team right now. How do you bring up players who never stepped foot in the NHL and who do you put on waivers or trade. You just can't bring up a player and play them without removing another player. And if it doesn't work out, you are screwed.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Jackman_the_Iceman
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman_the_Iceman »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:
Jackman_the_Iceman wrote:his system stunts their growth and that sets the players potential ceiling back
Save time writing blogs and long posts by summarizing your discontent with Murray's distribution of ice time for young players by using two simple words...

Jock Block
:lol: What? Also let me say again, I like Murray and I wish him well. He is our coach right now so we better like him. I just stated one of my fears with him. I didn't say that it's happening but that it COULD happen.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

northwest dave wrote:
OPTIMEGUS wrote:If Andy Murray is unwilling to admit and correct his power play coaching (27th) and distribution of game minutes for young talent, then he should be held accountable for his position.
Ummm...did he not take Kariya off the PP unit and completely rearrange it???
No, I didnt know, because I have Dish
Last edited by Winning Unlimited on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

northwest dave wrote:
Ummm...did he not take Kariya off the PP unit and completely rearrange it???
so mad at dish, I posted twice
Last edited by Winning Unlimited on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.