Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Post by WaukeeBlues »

xbleed83bluex wrote:
But playing along with your hypo: ANY 4 or 5 names on our roster and probably 2-3 first rounders. Five max. There's no price that's too high for this guy. NONE.
Wow, that's kind of pushing it - 5 first rounders? I don't know if I'd go that far.
I would :lol:

The funny part is that even by giving up any 4 or 5 guys on our roster we would still have a decent size stockpile of previous first round draft picks in the system.

:facepalm:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

STLADOGG wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:I'm not sure that the Caps would accept the entire Blues roster for Ovechkin.
Including all of Peoria, all of Alaska and a shitload of draft picks. Ovechkin is just the best there is today and there is no way whatsoever that he will be traded.
remember that one guy...uhhh whats his name.....oh Gretzky
Remember when I said...what was it... oh, the best there is TODAY.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

glen a richter wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:I'm not sure that the Caps would accept the entire Blues roster for Ovechkin.
Including all of Peoria, all of Alaska and a shitload of draft picks. Ovechkin is just the best there is today and there is no way whatsoever that he will be traded.
I think our friend DOGG is referring to people who said Gretzky would never be traded from Edmonton.

The Caps don't have the financial problems that troubled the Oilers but that doesn't mean they never will. Ovechkin may be traded away but it won't be for years, and certainly not for anything the Blues could offer.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

ohio BLUES wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
I think our friend DOGG is referring to people who said Gretzky would never be traded from Edmonton.

The Caps don't have the financial problems that troubled the Oilers but that doesn't mean they never will. Ovechkin may be traded away but it won't be for years, and certainly not for anything the Blues could offer.
yea thats what i meant thought you would've known
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

As much as I like Ovetchkin, he's not going to keep up this pace for long. There is a trend of amazing young European players coming over, absolutely dominating in the early stages of their career, losing their fire and settling into a more normal pace.

Jagr, Selanne, Bure, Mogilny... and many others to a lesser degree...

All of these people looked like they might be the next Gretzky or Lemieux early in their careers, and then whatever fire was burning in their belly went out and they settled into a more normal pace.

Ovetchkin will burn out. No one plays with that much passion forever. Not many anyway.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:As much as I like Ovetchkin, he's not going to keep up this pace for long. There is a trend of amazing young European players coming over, absolutely dominating in the early stages of their career, losing their fire and settling into a more normal pace.

Jagr, Selanne, Bure, Mogilny... and many others to a lesser degree...

All of these people looked like they might be the next Gretzky or Lemieux early in their careers, and then whatever fire was burning in their belly went out and they settled into a more normal pace.

Ovetchkin will burn out. No one plays with that much passion forever. Not many anyway.
Don't forget Federov

With the style Ovechkin plays, he may very well start to suffer frequent injuries as well. The guy plays like a wrecking ball out there.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

kodos wrote:As much as I like Ovetchkin, he's not going to keep up this pace for long. There is a trend of amazing young European players coming over, absolutely dominating in the early stages of their career, losing their fire and settling into a more normal pace.
I guess if you consider a "normal pace" at a point per game then you're on to something :lol: All the guys you listed were way more often than not at a point per game and I would've taken any of them on the Blues during any season over at least a decade+ stretch of their careers so I have no clue what point you're trying to make.

Jagr? From 1994 to 2006 the guy won 5 Art Ross Trophies and 3 Lester B. Pearson's. Give me a break.

I see no reason why Ovechkin could keep the current pace another 4-8 seasons. Lemieux and Gretzky are special players because they are categories alone to themselves. I've always felt any comparison's to them as ridiculous.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk