JR: "Here’s the latest on Alex Pietrangelo’s situation"

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

JR: "Here’s the latest on Alex Pietrangelo’s situation"

Post by SIU LAW »

JR wrote:Alex Pietrangelo is here to stay, but it’s not guaranteed he will stay.

The rookie defenseman played his ninth NHL game of the season Thursday night against Phoenix. It’s been written many times, but I’ll mention it again, if Pietrangelo plays his 10th game on Saturday night or whenever, it will count as a full year toward the Blues owning his rights.

What that means is this: When an NHL team drafts a player, that club owns his rights for seven years. When he plays his 10th game in one season, the clock starts on those seven years. It may not seem like a big deal now, but in 2016, when Pietrangelo is 26, the difference of him becoming a restricted free agent or an unrestricted free agent is a big difference.

I mentioned in my Blues’ chat Thursday that the team would likely issue a press release following Pietrangelo’s ninth game, acknowledging that he is staying. That will NOT happen.

The Blues are not going to make an announcement, and here’s the reason: Pietrangelo will stay with the team and he is expected to exceed nine games and probably stay for the year, but there’s still a chance (albeit a small chance) that the Blues could send him back to juniors at any time . . . after 15 games, 30 games, 45 games.

The Blues’ position is that they don’t want to make an announcement saying that Pietrangelo is staying for the year and then have to send him back for WHATEVER reason.

The club realizes that the clock will start on Pietrangelo, and it would be viewed as an unwise decision to waste a year by sending him back to juniors, but that’s the window the Blues are leaving themselves.

(For those who are wondering, Pietrangelo can not play in Peoria this season until his junior season with the Niagara Ice Dogs is completed. That is a rule that protects junior teams from having NHL clubs stash their players away in the minors).

My take: I understand that NHL teams don’t want players to get too comfortable. But I think Pietrangelo has shown enough maturity and dedication over the past summer that he wouldn’t slack off if he were told that he was staying in St. Louis for the entire season. In fact, Pietrangelo would probably benefit from being off probation. That’s basically what it is . . . probation. Since last September, he has been living in a suitcase, not knowing where he would be the next week.

The Blues have every intention in keeping him in St. Louis all year. Perhaps their motivation for not making it official has nothing to do with whether Pietrangelo would get too comfortable. Perhaps they’re staying mum because they don’t know if their defensive depth will stay healthy, or if they’ll be able to trade some of that depth. If those are the reasons for staying quiet, that’s understandable.

Still, it would be nice for Pietrangelo to unpack his bags.

JR

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: JR: "Here’s the latest on Alex Pietrangelo’s situation"

Post by kodos »

If they are going to keep him they need to play him.

I think they need to trade a dman for a forward, and open up the logjam a bit.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

kodos wrote:If they are going to keep him they need to play him.

I say we trade a couple dmen (Brewer, Jackman) for a forward, doubt we get much though.

Also, in reference to the article, how bad would Petro have to play for them to send him back down to juniors after 45 games? Especially, considering how bad Brewer plays most of the time.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Only an Andy Murray-coached team would think about doing something as bloody stupid as keeping him to play 20 games, start his clock, and THEN send him back to juniors.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

It probably comes down to JD to make that decision not Murray, not that Murray wouldn't try pushing for it though.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I think Pittsburgh could use some Defense men. Maybe we can get some one from them.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Brewer for Malkin.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

kodos wrote:Brewer for Malkin.
Surely Pittsburgh would throw in more than that.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

section319 wrote:

I say we trade a couple dmen (Brewer, Jackman) for a forward, doubt we get much though.

Also, in reference to the article, how bad would Petro have to play for them to send him back down to juniors after 45 games? Especially, considering how bad Brewer plays most of the time.
I agree. Time to make some room. A good problem to have.
My only problem with Petro is that he doesn't always seem to have the passion or drive to push it or to get involved. Hopefully he can get a little more 'swag' into his game. He needs a dose of Perron.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

northwest dave wrote:
section319 wrote:

My only problem with Petro is that he doesn't always seem to have the passion or drive to push it or to get involved. Hopefully he can get a little more 'swag' into his game. He needs a dose of Perron.
It's hard to stay motivated when you don't play. Especially when you don't play ahead of some idiot who means you're already starting the game down 1 goal. Yes, that's what Brewer playing means. Any time he starts, the Blues are down 1-0 before the puck drops. And, I don't care if it's bashing. It's true.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

theohall wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
section319 wrote:

It's hard to stay motivated when you don't play. Especially when you don't play ahead of some idiot who means you're already starting the game down 1 goal. Yes, that's what Brewer playing means. Any time he starts, the Blues are down 1-0 before the puck drops. And, I don't care if it's bashing. It's true.
It might be also worth mentioning that Pie is only 19 years old...He's a kid out there. He's bound to make a few mistakes but he's got to play to get through them. They can't keep benching him. This is where I really disagree with how Murray handles things.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

theohall wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
section319 wrote:

Hard to stay motivated when you don't play? If anything, you should be more motivated...especially when you are starting your career.

And really, I'm talking about physicality and pushing the puck. Petro needs to get involved. He did great against Phx, but in other games, he shies from the rough stuff. I hope he plays more, because he has the talent and vision. He'll get there and it seems he'll get the chance, which is great.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
theohall wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
section319 wrote:

It might be also worth mentioning that Pie is only 19 years old...He's a kid out there. He's bound to make a few mistakes but he's got to play to get through them. They can't keep benching him. This is where I really disagree with how Murray handles things.
Problem is if kids make mistakes, will that keep them from making the playoffs? This is Murray's problem. Granted, the organization needs to make a decision and go with it. Because right now THIS is not working. And it's probably because Murray can't find that balance.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

The thing with Alex is his defensive blunders will be offset by his offensive ability. That's more than you can say about half of the defensemen on this team. If Brewer, Jackman, Polak, or Weaver make a mistake, that mistake won't be erased by some nice offensive play later in the game. At least Alex has that going for him (along with Johnson and Cola). I want Alex to make mistakes. If he's not making mistakes, that means he's not pushing the boundaries and trying to make things happen. He'll learn a lot faster that way. I only wish that Murray saw it that way, too. I'd play timid (which describes Alex's play at times), too, if I was afraid that Murray would ship me back to Niagara for making a couple of bad passes. :roll:
I love hockey. Period.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Alex is playing better than jackman, brewer(but he scored today), and weaver
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Sweetred95ta wrote:The thing with Alex is his defensive blunders will be offset by his offensive ability. That's more than you can say about half of the defensemen in this league. If Brewer, Jackman, Polak, or Weaver make a mistake, that mistake won't be erased by some nice offensive play later in the game. At least Alex has that going for him (along with Johnson and Cola). I want Alex to make mistakes. If he's not making mistakes, that means he's not pushing the boundaries and trying to make things happen. He'll learn a lot faster that way. I only wish that Murray saw it that way, too. I'd play timid (which describes Alex's play at times), too, if I was afraid that Murray would ship me back to Niagara for making a couple of bad passes. :roll:

:plusplus:
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald