Eric Staal to the Blues...??

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Eric Staal to the Blues...??

Post by thedoc »

Has anyone heard this about Eric Staal being traded to us in return for DP, Petro and Cole? Thomas Casey on the ice report said that there was an article in the newspaper about this in Carolina. Let me know what you know.

PS. If this is the DaDitka messing with us again I will throw him off of the parking garage.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Eric Staal to the Blues

Post by glen a richter »

This is the dumbest trade idea I could possibly imagine at the present moment.

Way too much talent being traded for a guy who will come in and be a complete bust once he dons the note. The only way this team will become a winner is with the nucleus of young talent intact as long as possible and a new coach who knows how to use them.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I don't like. This better not be true.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

glen a richter wrote:This is the dumbest trade idea I could possibly imagine at the present moment.

Way too much talent being traded for a guy who will come in and be a complete bust once he dons the note. The only way this team will become a winner is with the nucleus of young talent intact as long as possible and a new coach who knows how to use them.
But would it surprise you if they did do a trade though? I appears that AM doesnt give two shits about the youth, so they would trade them to make him happy.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

It's all over the interwebs,

TPC said he knew the Blues were preparing an offer but was unaware that Cole was included.

With the report the DP wanted a trade and his contract is up, I figured we'd shop him.

I just figured he and Petro would have more than enough value by themselves.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think at some point management would have to tell Murray that he's a complete horses ass. I don't think that point in time is anytime soon, unfortunately.

So no, I wouldn't be surprised to see some jackhole trade like this take place. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Carolina win the cup--again--inside of the next 2 years with a solid blueline duo of Pie and Cole and DP scoring 40g/60a a year.

It seems to me that this team has a history of making the most absolutely wrong trades at the most absolutely wrong times, regardless of who's in charge upstairs, and that those awful trades often help the other team at least reach the finals, if not win it all.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Staal is only 25. I don't mind that DP and Petro part so much but Cole as well. This seems like we are opening the piggy bank a bunch. There is a rumor that DP asked to be traded and his contract is going to be up. We have his rights but if he won't play for Murray it might not be bad to let him go. Staal did have 40 goals last season even though he has been slumping a bit so far. Most importantly the last 4 years he has played in all 82 games so that could help big for us.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

DaDitka wrote:It's all over the interwebs,

TPC said he knew the Blues were preparing an offer but was unaware that Cole was included.

With the report the DP wanted a trade and his contract is up, I figured we'd shop him.

I just figured he and Petro would have more than enough value by themselves.
With all due respect, Ditka, that thread re: Murray getting fired kind of sucked balls. You may need to rebuild your credibility....

:lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

thedoc wrote:Staal is only 25. I don't mind that DP and Petro part so much but Cole as well. This seems like we are opening the piggy bank a bunch. There is a rumor that DP asked to be traded and his contract is going to be up. We have his rights but if he won't play for Murray it might not be bad to let him go. Staal did have 40 goals last season even though he has been slumping a bit so far. Most importantly the last 4 years he has played in all 82 games so that could help big for us.
I mind giving up 3 guys for one. That being 3 guys who would probably be perennial all stars if they were playing in a system that didn't blow chunks.

Guaranteed those 3 play for any other team, Carolina or whoever, and they show their true potential inside of their first two games with the team. I'll even throw them a freebie to get acclimated to a new squad.

Unless this actually is JD's master plan to build the team through the draft in the form of drafting potentially great players then selling them off in groups for one proven guy. Either way, it sort of sucks.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Strickland via Twitter wrote:"John Davidson tells me the Blues have had zero talks with Carolina regarding a trade for Eric Staal"

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Here's the article from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/columni ... 35876.html
Bruce Garrioch wrote:It might be go big or go home for the Blues.

While many NHL insiders are shocked coach Andy Murray is still behind the bench, the Blues have waited so long to fire him that they missed out on the best coach available — Peter Laviolette — so now the word is St. Louis is eyeing the possibility of trying to make a blockbuster deal.

Sure, the Blues might be dreaming, but there are whispers in league circles they might make a pitch to the struggling Hurricanes for centre Eric Staal, who went into last night’s game against the Senators with only four goals and 10 assists in 21 games this season.

Sad numbers for a guy who is scheduled to make an average of $8.25 million (all terms US) a season through 2015-16.

The 25-year-old Staal has also managed to play himself out of contention for a spot on the Canadian Olympic squad.

Still, it’s hard to believe the Hurricanes would give up on the player who all but willed the team into the Eastern Conference final last spring with incredible performances against the Devils and Bruins before Carolina fell to the eventual Stanley Cup-winning Penguins.

“He could be just having a bad season, (but) this is a guy who could do no wrong last year,” said a league executive.

Of course, if you’re the Blues it never hurts to ask.

Plus, St. Louis does have young assets like defenceman Alex Piertrangelo, winger David Perron and 2007 No. 1 pick Ian Cole, a blueliner at Notre Dame, to offer up if Carolina wants to deal.

If the Hurricanes were to trade Staal, if would just about ensure they finish dead last — where they sit now — and give them a great shot at landing the No. 1 overall pick in next June’s draft

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

HI. I'M A QUESTION MARK. YOU MIGHT KNOW ME FROM SUCH THREADS AS ONES THAT AREN'T ACTUALLY FACTUAL AND ARE JUST RUMORS. LIKE THIS ONE... OR WAIT???

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

strocklen083 wrote:
Strickland via Twitter wrote:"John Davidson tells me the Blues have had zero talks with Carolina regarding a trade for Eric Staal"

So, it's a done deal then.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Strickland via Twitter wrote:"John Davidson tells me to tell everyone that the Blues have had zero talks with Carolina regarding a trade for Eric Staal"
Fixed.....

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:Image

HI. I'M A QUESTION MARK. YOU MIGHT KNOW ME FROM SUCH THREADS AS ONES THAT AREN'T ACTUALLY FACTUAL AND ARE JUST RUMORS. LIKE THIS ONE... OR WAIT???

I think he was asking if anyone else had heard anythign about it.

ESPN radio not only mentioned the report, TPC said he had heard if from a Blues source earlier this week. He was simply asking if anyone else here had any more insight then the radio report.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

If he was asking, it needs a question mark.

It's not rocket science...

And actually, I think I might be okay with this trade. I'd feel better about it if we could keep Perron, but hey... got to give to get...

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:If he was asking, it needs a question mark.

Gotcha.......my bad :doh:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm really getting sick of this.

Please include in the title of your thread "Rumor: " or something. This is the 2nd time in a week. Newbs. :P :wink:
Last edited by WaukeeBlues on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

It was a question. Sorry I didn't use proper punctuation. By the way that is a picture of Kang not Kodos.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

kodos wrote:If he was asking, it needs a question mark.

It's not rocket science...

And actually, I think I might be okay with this trade. I'd feel better about it if we could keep Perron, but hey... got to give to get...
In reading more closely, it looks like maybe Garrioch migh thave been listing assets Rutherford may be interested in... not necessarily that it would take all 3 to get Staal..... We shouldn't have to pay so much for a salary dump. I don't like losing Perron. Perhaps if we sent them Berglund in a 57 sweater??