Soldiers Memorial area last night

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Soldiers Memorial area last night

Post by Leedog »

Kinda OT, but about going to Blues games and not everyone reads OT forums. Last night several cars facing east on Olive between Tucker and 14th (next to the park, across Olive from the library) all got their windows smashed in and anything of value ripped off. Moral to the story, don't leave anything in your car that you don't wanna lose. My bad habit is I have a plug n play Sirius radio in my car. I no longer bring it with me when I'm parking downtown at night, but I leave the antenna on the dashboard. That flag was enuff to get my car broke in at a game last year. They didn't get my radio, but my car got messed up anyway. I need to remember to take the thing off the dash.
One more question about that area. Just dawned on me today Didn't the city always put up a bunch of Xmas lights around Soldiers Memorial? Seems like it. Don't think I have seen them this year. I guess it is an unnecessary expense.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Soldiers Memorial area last night

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Wow, these Blues games are just becoming great all-around experiences, aren't they?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Wow, these Blues games are just becoming great all-around experiences, aren't they?
Ya first the elevator collapse, then they can't win at home, and peoples cars get broken into. Hat Trick.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

brynec
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by brynec »

The break ins have been happening down there for years you just need to watch what is visible in your car. Mine was broken in down there around 2 years ago and they took my kids stroller and remote for the radio but thankfully I took the faceplate inside that night and thats is all they got. Now I make sure that nothing that even looks enticing to steal is in the car.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

brynec wrote:Now I make sure that nothing that even looks enticing to steal is in the car.
Have you tried a Brewer jersey?

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I had my GPS and Zune stolen from my car last week. I was parked at home, and I live in a pretty nice area, so I never really paid much attention to leaving my gps in the car overnight. I would have loved to catch the punks in the act...but I learned a lesson.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Ruutu15 wrote:I would have loved to catch the punks in the act...but I learned a lesson.

Something like this?

Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

section319 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:I would have loved to catch the punks in the act...but I learned a lesson.

Something like this?

:shock: GREAT movie, that scene still makes my stomach turn.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

This is why I park in the garage.

I used to part on the street, but after to shooting in that area in 10 days and all the break-ins, I just drop the 10 or 12 a game, park in the garage, and of course...pack a cooler.

Sure it takes a while to get out if it’s a good game and everyone stay until the end, but I feel it’s well worth it.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

I live in Soulard and have to make sure my car is clean every time I leave it. It sucks making three trips from your car to the front door if you have a bunch of crap. But it's also worth it to avoid the smashed windows.

Another tip I would suggest is to just leave your car unlocked. If there's nothing of value in there anyway it just saves you a broken window. These guys aren't smart enough to steal a car. They just want stuff to pawn off for some quick $$$.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

strocklen083 wrote:I live in Soulard and have to make sure my car is clean every time I leave it. It sucks making three trips from your car to the front door if you have a bunch of crap. But it's also worth it to avoid the smashed windows.

Another tip I would suggest is to just leave your car unlocked. If there's nothing of value in there anyway it just saves you a broken window. These guys aren't smart enough to steal a car. They just want stuff to pawn off for some quick $$$.
When I lived in Soulard I had a homeless guy break into (aka unzip the window) and spend the night in my Jeep. He even made off with my Blues Starter coat from sixth grade.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I was just thinking I'd love to add another $10 to the cost of attending every Blues game.

It's like the St. Louis Blues' theme for this year is: Blues Hockey: We Really Don't Want You To Buy Tickets. Have You Figured That Out Yet, Dummy?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Nyghtewynd wrote:I was just thinking I'd love to add another $10 to the cost of attending every Blues game.

It's like the St. Louis Blues' theme for this year is: Blues Hockey: We Really Don't Want You To Buy Tickets. Have You Figured That Out Yet, Dummy?
Part II: In Fact, We're So Embarrassed By Our Home Games That We Don't Even Want You To Watch Them On Our Advertiser's TV Service
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

strocklen083 wrote:I live in Soulard and have to make sure my car is clean every time I leave it. It sucks making three trips from your car to the front door if you have a bunch of crap. But it's also worth it to avoid the smashed windows.

To say nothing of the fact that stealing a car is a felony and cops would be much more enthusiastic about getting THAT apprehension as opposed to theft.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

All the more reason to move the arena to earth city and be done with the bullshit.

I see a new hockey facility and an open football stadium in the future. Fukk downtown with extreme prejudice.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

goon attack wrote:All the more reason to move the arena to earth city and be done with the bullshit.

I see a new hockey facility and an open football stadium in the future. Fukk downtown with extreme prejudice.
Football stadium I can def see. Hockey not so much. Unless you're talking 20 years down the line. That whole Family Arena thing still isn't doing so great and the team isn't really in the market for a new building any time soon.

I'd prefer any new football stadium be built on the river north of the dome in the rundown industrial zone. It would help push restoration and progress north of downtown a bit. But we're still 10 years from that.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

strocklen083 wrote: I'd prefer any new football stadium be built on the river north of the dome in the rundown industrial zone.
Don't take this the wrong way, but... are you insane? ;)

Any new football stadium should be built OUT of St. Louis City so law abiding folks don't have to deal with the derelict criminal drug addicts panhandling and fukking up their cars.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

goon attack wrote:
strocklen083 wrote: I'd prefer any new football stadium be built on the river north of the dome in the rundown industrial zone.
Don't take this the wrong way, but... are you insane? ;)

Any new football stadium should be built OUT of St. Louis City so law abiding folks don't have to deal with the derelict criminal drug addicts panhandling and fukking up their cars.
That's the one thing I hate about Scottrade Center -- running a gauntlet of panhandlers after every game. Not a great image to present to out-of-towners.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

The problem with moving a team to the county is the politics between City and County that other cities don't have to contend with. Who were the combatants in the late 80's, Schoemel and Buzz Westfall?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Leedog wrote:The problem with moving a team to the county is the politics between City and County that other cities don't have to contend with. Who were the combatants in the late 80's, Schoemel and Buzz Westfall?
That's true. You also have the "Merge the City and County" crowd... all of which live in the CITY, of course. I always say back "Let's merge the City and East St. Louis." They say "WHAT THE HELL??? That's nuts!"

I then say, "Now you know how us County folks feel when you want to merge the Shity with the County."
:moran: