Murray out, Payne in

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Murray out, Payne in

Post by cprice12 »

Press release from the Blues.
They will also hold a press conference later today.
ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Blues President John Davidson announced Saturday that the club has named Davis Payne as Interim Head Coach. Payne becomes the 23rd coach in the history of the St. Louis Blues replacing Andy Murray, who was relieved of his duties.

“Davis is very knowledgeable of the players in our organization and we feel he is the best candidate to coach our team,” said Davidson. “He has nine winning seasons at the minor league level which includes an ECHL Championship in 2006.

“I would like to thank Andy Murray for the job he has done here the past four seasons,” continued Davidson. “He was an intergral part in turning the St. Louis Blues around. He is a true professional and I wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Payne, 39, was named the 15th head coach of the Rivermen on July 8, 2008 after serving one year as an assistant with the club. This season, Peoria has posted a 19-13-1-2 record combining for a 62-44-3-6 (.578%) overall mark in two seasons with Payne behind the bench. In his first year (2008-09) as an AHL head coach, Payne guided the Rivermen to a 43-31-2-4 record and returned Peoria to the postseason following a two-year drought. Prior to joining the Rivermen before the 2007-08 campaign, Payne had spent a total of seven seasons as a head coach in the ECHL. The Kamloops, British Columbia native established a .691% winning percentage over four years as head coach for the Alaska Aces, the Blues’ ECHL affiliate.

The 2006-07 ECHL Coach of the Year, Payne led the Aces to the 2006 ECHL Kelly Cup Championship and also guided the club to three consecutive trips to the Conference Finals; it was the first time in 15 years and only the second time in ECHL history that a team advanced to the ECHL’s Final Four in three straight seasons. Thirty-eight of Alaska’s 48 lifetime playoff wins had came under Payne’s direction, with his winning percentage in the playoffs (38-21, .644%) nearly matching that of his four regular seasons in Alaska.

Payne, who owns a 289-142-45 (.654%) in seven seasons as an ECHL head coach between Alaska and the Pee Dee Pride, remains second all-time in ECHL history with 50 postseason victories, 12 of which came during his three years with Pee Dee.

A graduate of NCAA Division I Michigan Tech, Payne appeared in 22 National Hockey League (NHL) games with the Boston Bruins and played a total of eight professional seasons . He was originally drafted by the Edmonton Oilers in the seventh round of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Fitting that Belfour is our goaltending coach starting tonight with the Blackhawks. Think a "BEEEEEEEELLLLLLLFFFFFFFOUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR" chant will ring out, but just in a good way this time?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!1!!!!!!!

_Gassoff
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by _Gassoff »

cprice12 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:.....and Interim Head Coach i wonder if tht means payne will be the coach until they get a better one....well see.
That's exactly what that means.
Either that, or he proves he is the real deal.
_Gaﻛs●fƒ №3 -- גסוף --> webpages.charter.net/gassoff/
Subscribe to the SIGNAL 7 DEEP CUTS CLASSIC ROCK PODCAST at: http://signal7.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or at the iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ic/id580050123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

THIS JUST IN:

BACKWARDS HATS ARE NOW ALLOWED.

SKATE COLORS ARE UNDER REVIEW.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

goon attack wrote:how long until cries of "FIRE PAYNE!" are abundant here? I say 3 games!
Fire Payne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A bittersweet move today. Murray is a classy guy, but no longer was a good fit here.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Perron made an O-face when got a text with the news:

Jeffro
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Jeffro »

If Payne does well, I expect him to be given the job permanently. I don't think they're conducting a coaching search.
Official LGB Sponsor of Jeff Woywitka

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ChuckyGfan11
Prospect
Prospect

Post by ChuckyGfan11 »

What a fantastic way to wake up! :cup: :letsgoblues:

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

This could possibly be the greatest day of my life.

I hate to sound ungrateful to the guy, but Murray was just not a fit for us. Honestly, a team like Carolina would be a GREAT fit for him. Veterans up the wazoo, good two-way defensemen and a need for a new system. His backwards coaching style had no place here.

Long live Davis Payne!!
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think the biggest thing about Payne is that he obviously has an understanding of young talent, coming from Peoria, and he's not going to bench them for making ultimately very minor rookie mistakes. On the other hand, he won't hand the veterans a free pass just because they're veterans. If anything, he'll make the vets more accountable for their play on the ice and give them the press box duty when they're not playing up to snuff (see: setting a bad example for the kids)

As someone also mentioned earlier, I fully expect to see Junland, Eller, possibly Sonne even though his numbers suck at Peoria and perhaps Drazenovic (finally) taking a spot away from sorry sacks like Winchester, Janssen, Crombeen, and Brewer

Edit: after checking out the Peoria stats, I notice that Ben Bishop has quietly gone from his upper levels of sucktitude to piecing together a pretty decent season. His goals against is high, but everything is settling in after a shaky start. Back up goalie next season, perhaps.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Seems to me like they don't plan on replacing Payne, but if Torterella becomes available from the Rangers I think he would be an awesome fit here.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I'm anxious to see what type of style Payne will have them playing. I know it can't be that different on Day 1, but I wonder if we'll see any individual players being more aggressively tonight.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Payne is prolly working cheap right now, and they still have to pay AM.

Put up or shut up time for the players. Hard for me to believe AM was such a genius to get his crippled up bunch of kids into the playoffs less than a year ago, and so dumb now. Musta killed some serious brain cells over the summer. Drugs are bad, mm k?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

bigjoe332
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by bigjoe332 »

Now the Blues need to help us fans who have DISH NETWORK!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Now the team just needs to respond correctly, otherwise Murray may not have been the problem.... :aaaa:

This needed to be done though, regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

I don't know anything about Payne, and not that he's going to be the long term coach, but does anyone know if he's more offensive-minded than Murray was? I wouldn't think it would be very hard to be. They need someone who isn't afraid to let the players "flex their golden pipes". A lot of guys seemed stifled under Murray so maybe they'll loosen up a bit.

Now watch Murray get picked up somewhere and lead that team to the cup within 2 seasons. LOL!...... :?
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Best news ever. Guess I'm not done with the Blues this season :)
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Awesome.. I'm glad they went with Payne over an assistant coach and hopefully he can get the team going and keep the job like a bylsma or the other coaches previously mentioned. Either way though Murray is out and it's put up or shut up time for the players, we will see what happens. After most coaching changes it seems like the team always plays hard, they seemed to play harder under Murray After they fired Kitchen, hopefuly we see the same response now.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ViPeRx007 wrote: I don't know anything about Payne, and not that he's going to be the long term coach, but does anyone know if he's more offensive-minded than Murray was? I wouldn't think it would be very hard to be. They need someone who isn't afraid to let the players "flex their golden pipes". A lot of guys seemed stifled under Murray so maybe they'll loosen up a bit.
I think the biggest thing we're going to notice is a shift from playing the veterans whether they do good or not to only playing the guys who deserve to be playing, including but not limited to playing some guys who are presently in Peoria who should have been up here all along *cough* Junland *cough*, et al. He knows the capabilities of the guys who are down on the farm and he'll see soon enough the lack of capabilities of some of the guys up at the NHL level. I suspect we'll start seeing some player personnel changes shortly.

Pie, Junland, perhaps Eller, maybe Drazenovic, possibly Sonne in

Brewer demoted to #3 d-man minutes (where he might actually be worth a damn... imagine that), Weaver out, Sydor out, Crombeen out, Winchester out, Janssen out.