GDT: Columbus @ St. Louis -- 7pm -- FSMW & KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT: Columbus @ St. Louis -- 7pm -- FSMW & KMOX

Post by section319 »

So, all we have to do it replace Cam with who? Eller? And that fixes our problems? I see what you guys are saying, I just don't think that it is really hurtingthis team that much to have Janssen play. If that's the case we our relying on third and fourth line scoring way too much.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I will give you that Cam is probably not hurting "this" team that much. However if the team is going to advance and become a 100+ point team we have to have contributions from every line. That is why #18 is such an asset to have. Even though it's doubtful that we make the playoffs this year we have to look at teams like Pitt and Chicago and copy what their organizations are doing to make it back to a playoff contender. The future of this hockey team is not Cam, even though I think he is a great guy and I wish him no ill will. The future is Ellers, Cole, Junland, ect. They are the future and if we are eliminated from the playoffs I say get them up here and let them learn the speed of the game and get some on the job training for next year and leave Cam in the alumni room.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Hey glen, so what happens when we don't dress a guy like Cam and the opposing team decides to dress a few guys that are tougher than Crombeen and Backes? What do we do then... pray on the bench that the other team decides to be nice and not beat the living shit out of our guys?

Cam is not Twist but he is somebody to be reckoned with.

I'm sort of on your side regarding the larger argument that sideshow goon hockey is NOT preferable to guys who are skilled and will fight, but I get the feeling that if Backes became a 40g 90p guy, you'd be chirping about how he needs to stay out of the box and not drop the gloves.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

but goon, that's my entire argument. It is sideshow goonery and it's taking away from productivity. Let more offensively skilled players handle the on ice policing. They have in the past, they can in the future. I don't care if Backes takes 500 PIM's, he proved last year that he can sit in the box a ton and score plenty too. But Cam? 193 games, 6 points, 458 PIM. What's the point? You can honestly tell me that there's not a single guy they could have gotten via trade, free agency or through the in-house pipeline who would fight plus actually score 30-40 points a season?

I'm not asking for the goon to put up a point a game, I'm asking for the goon to serve some offensive purpose in addition to his bodyguard duties.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

I'd say Cam is as useless as teats on a male boar pig, but then I'd have to say "teats".
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

glen a richter wrote:but goon, that's my entire argument. It is sideshow goonery and it's taking away from productivity. Let more offensively skilled players handle the on ice policing. They have in the past, they can in the future. I don't care if Backes takes 500 PIM's, he proved last year that he can sit in the box a ton and score plenty too. But Cam? 193 games, 6 points, 458 PIM. What's the point? You can honestly tell me that there's not a single guy they could have gotten via trade, free agency or through the in-house pipeline who would fight plus actually score 30-40 points a season?

I'm not asking for the goon to put up a point a game, I'm asking for the goon to serve some offensive purpose in addition to his bodyguard duties.
Crombeen and Winchester aren't 30-40 point scorers.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

Holy crap, guys. Basically every team has players like Cam on the roster. Maybe some contribute more, but there really isn't an amazing option out there to replace him with. Parros from Anaheim is basically the same, Prust for Calgary. These teams typically aren't begging for goals from their 4th liners, why do you think we should? It would be nice to be able to have a 4th line of Winchester, Crombeen and McClement cause I think that would mean that our top 3 lines would be incredible, but that just isn't the case. 100 point teams don't have all of their roster spots filled with 30-40+ point a year guys and for good reason. That means there is still defense and something to be said about good players negating weaker players in this sport. If everyone could score like Boyes or better we'd be no better than the NBA.

There is essentially no way that Cam brings negatives to this team's winning that would be remedied by playing Yan Stastny or any other replacement for 4-5 minutes a night. If this is the case, why not use that one guy to bring the crowd to life (we small-brained individuals who enjoy mutually agreed-upon fisticuffs) and maybe serve as an intimidation factor?

Yan Stastny is as much a savior of this team as Cam is the demise.

Skate Cam at home or against teams with other enforcers so they focus on him instead of Backes or someone who can score. Otherwise play perennial all-star and future HOFer Armstrong or Stastny for 4 mins and watch the wins roll right f***in' in.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote: I'm sort of on your side regarding the larger argument that sideshow goon hockey is NOT preferable to guys who are skilled and will fight, but I get the feeling that if Backes became a 40g 90p guy, you'd be chirping about how he needs to stay out of the box and not drop the gloves.

Not, me. I'd build a shrine to him.

If I can get 40 goals, 90 points, and 20 + fighting majors out of Backas on a regular basis, he's getting a statue out front too.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

section319 wrote:
Crombeen and Winchester aren't 30-40 point scorers.[/quote]

No they are not, But they are much bigger threats to score then Cam and they are nowhere near the liability.

That's the point. He's completely blown offensive pressures and is often way behind the play hitting empty boards while the other team heads down ice. and lord help us if we get pinned down in our end and need him to help clear the puck.

I think that’s what many are missing. We all agree that Cam is a sufficient heavyweight and we all love watching him fight, but there is no arguing that he in no way puts us in a better position to win games and there is plenty of evidence that suggests that he is in fact detriment to efforts of putting the puck in the net and keeping it out of ours.

If this teams was either scoring 4 goals a game and was getting consistent solid goal tending then perhaps we could afford the liability he presents, but if you haven’t noticed this team has trouble scoring and the goaltending has been nowhere near the level we saw the second half of last year.

I don’ understand all the hurt feelings, no one hates fighting and no one hates Cam, we are merely stating that the most important thing to the organization and most hockey fans in winning hockey games and compiling points. It is my opinion that Cam does not help that effort.

That is all.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund