GDT: Blues @ 'Hawks, 7:30 PM Central, FSMW, KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT: Blues @ 'Hawks, 7:30 PM Central, FSMW, KMOX

Post by F Keenan »

philco_3 wrote:I thought for sure that they were going to collapse there in the 3rd like a building in Haiti....too soon?
Too soon.... not soon enough. :lol:
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I was worried after the 1st period and the first portion of the 2nd.
We just couldn't generate any sustained pressure at all...and our best scoring chance was with 5 seconds to go in the first when Boyes missed the net on a breakaway. WTF dude? :doh:

Our scoring chances were few and far between in the first half of the game, but even so, I thought it was a VERY entertaining game the whole way. There was a lot of energy on the ice from both teams. This game had a nice pace to it. Chicago may have outchanced us, but it was still an exciting back and forth game. The Blues did a good job limiting the Hawks good chances and not allowing them many second opportunities on rebounds. The Blues were tough around the net and Mason was strong in this game. He kept us in it until we got on the board.

Chicago was smothering the Blues in the first half. The Blues didn't have a lot of time with the puck before there was a Hawk right on them...which led to a lot of turnovers and bad passes. It reminded me of the way Detroit would play the Blues a few years ago...puck possession and lots of good passes.

Midway through the second we started to turn it around and it paid off. Worked hard, forced some turnovers, got some good shots on net and we were opportunistic on our chances. Kariya redeemed himself for missing that breakaway by hustling and forcing a turnover, then firing a beauty pass to Backes who fired a pretty shot inside the far post. Great goal.

How in the hell do they overturn Kane's high stick on Boyes??? Jesus Mary and Curtis Joseph. What a joke. And of course, Kane puts his hands up in the air like he didn't do anything wrong. You speared Boyes in the neck you asshat. I hate that douchebag.

Oshie may have had goal of the year again had his "on-his-back-sweep-the-puck-over-his-head-no-look-ovechkin-like-shot" went in the net. Huet got lucky. He never saw that shot and it his off his toe. Two inches to the left and it's a candidate for goal of the year. Shame.

I thought the Blues play in the 3rd was a perfect bend but not break plan. Chicago is a great team, so running and gunning with them with a two goal lead might not be the best idea. I'm usually not in favor of going into a shell until around the 6 or 7 minute mark, but the Blues did a good job of it in this game. Chicago didn't have many great chances in the last 5 or 6 minutes...and there was no flurry around Mason as the game clock was nearing zero. This was a case of the Blues going into a shell the right way. They skated a bit more in the offensive zone and didn't just dump it in and chance lines every time down. This was better.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:Kariya redeemed himself for missing that breakaway by hustling and forcing a turnover, then firing a beauty pass to Backes who fired a pretty shot inside the far post. Great goal.
++

That was beautiful
How in the hell do they overturn Kane's high stick on Boyes??? Jesus Mary and Curtis Joseph. What a joke. And of course, Kane puts his hands up in the air like he didn't do anything wrong. You speared Boyes in the neck you asshat. I hate that douchebag.
Even the biased announcers were stunned. "This rarely rarely happens." What overturning a legitimate call? Yea probably so. Overly-exagerrated reaction by Boyes aside- the stick caught him in the throat- you call it. And they did. I don't understand that at all. It had to be one of the refs came over being like "the stick never hit and Boyes just made a big reaction out of it." Only thing that can possibly explain that.
Oshie may have had goal of the year again had his "on-his-back-sweep-the-puck-over-his-head-no-look-ovechkin-like-shot" went in the net. Huet got lucky. He never saw that shot and it his off his toe. Two inches to the left and it's a candidate for goal of the year. Shame.
I was amazed Oshie even got that on net, that was awesome.
I thought the Blues play in the 3rd was a perfect bend but not break plan. Chicago is a great team, so running and gunning with them with a two goal lead might not be the best idea. I'm usually not in favor of going into a shell until around the 6 or 7 minute mark, but the Blues did a good job of it in this game. Chicago didn't have many great chances in the last 5 or 6 minutes...and there was no flurry around Mason as the game clock was nearing zero. This was a case of the Blues going into a shell the right way. They skated a bit more in the offensive zone and didn't just dump it in and chance lines every time down. This was better.
I still think they went into "defense" mode too early- almost from the moment the Hawks scored that 2nd goal. First off- that was sickeningly nice. Let's give credit where it's due, that was an awesome set-up.

I thought the Blues were gong to lose for sure. The Hawks were still getting chances and the moment the Hawks scored it was total shut-down mode and we still had like, what, 14 minutes left or something? I say too early. Payne disagreed and he won the game. This is why he's the coach.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Ruutu15 wrote:Don't even bother watching this one. :okman: :wink:
THIS
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

:hawkssuck: :letsgoblues: :woot:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Glad they won. 2 huge points, especially in Chicago.

That being said, this game should have been in HD! Why do I own both an HD TV and season tickets? Doesn't do shit for me since all the home games are in HD and only 1/2 the road games are.

That is all...

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

strocklen083 wrote:Glad they won. 2 huge points, especially in Chicago.

That being said, this game should have been in HD! Why do I own both an HD TV and season tickets? Doesn't do shit for me since all the home games are in HD and only 1/2 the road games are.

That is all...
Because the NHL doesn't have the giant sack that the NFL does and REFUSES to force games to be broadcast in HD.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

sseagle wrote:
strocklen083 wrote:Glad they won. 2 huge points, especially in Chicago.

That is all...
Because the NHL doesn't have the giant sack that the NFL does and REFUSES to force games to be broadcast in HD.
or the number of fans, or as few number of games as the NFL.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:lol
I didnt see it, was switching back and forth from Blues and the Illini game
it was a pretty nifty setup, more for the sense it took than the actual pass. OR, he just flipped it out there randomly.

Either way, TAH BAK1S BURIED that motherf u k k ir

and let me add that Kariya's hustle made that play... and a big eff up by the Hawks d-man. :doh:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

goon attack wrote:
it was a pretty nifty setup, more for the sense it took than the actual pass. OR, he just flipped it out there randomly.

and let me add that Kariya's hustle made that play... and a big eff up by the Hawks d-man. :doh:
I don't think Kariya hustled at all in this game until he got run in the end boards and everyone thought he was injured. He came back and played hard the rest of the game, almost to the point where you could say he was a difference-maker. (almost).

In light of this development, I propose that we dress Cam Janssen every game for the sole purpose of running #9 into the boards during pre-game warmups. Whether or not he plays after that is irrelevant. Hell, you could even give him an assist for every point Kariya scores for the game.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

fargoblues wrote:
goon attack wrote:

I don't think Kariya hustled at all in this game until he got run in the end boards and everyone thought he was injured. He came back and played hard the rest of the game, almost to the point where you could say he was a difference-maker. (almost).

In light of this development, I propose that we dress Cam Janssen every game for the sole purpose of running #9 into the boards during pre-game warmups. Whether or not he plays after that is irrelevant. Hell, you could even give him an assist for every point Kariya scores for the game.
Hopefully we just saw Kariya's season turn around.

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

great game....on a side note, i think coach payne should just shave his head....it's leading that way anyway, take control of the situation.
"Can't wait till 50 posts, so I can create a new topic!"

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

drwoland wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
goon attack wrote:

Hopefully we just saw Kariya's season turn around.
This, so we can get adequate return value for him at the trade deadline.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.