Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby WaukeeBlues » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:50 pm

HE GONE!

NHL.com wrote:"Our goal from the start of this negotiating process was to sign Ilya Kovalchuk to a long-term contract," Waddell said. "During the process, Kovy affirmed his desire to be a Thrasher for life. We've spent several months exploring scenarios with Kovy and his agent to reach a mutually beneficial agreement, and offered many lucrative packages in an attempt to meet his financial objectives. Unfortunately, we've reached an impasse and at this point he has declined all of our proposals and we can't reasonably go any higher."

Waddell said the club offered Kovalchuk a 12-year, $101 million deal, but it was rejected. Waddell said it would have been the highest contract ever signed by an impending free agent in NHL history.

Waddell also said a $70 million, seven-year deal was rejected. Waddell said that deal would have made Kovalchuk's average annual salary $10 million per season $500,000 more than any player in the League.


Clicky!

I just am not seeing the connect between Kovalchuk saying "I want to be a Thrasher for life" and rejecting a deal paying him $10 mill a season. Realistically, nobody is going to pay him much more than that. What the heck does this guy want?
Official LGB Sponsor: Jake Allen
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4672
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby ReelBluesFan887 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I think he is KHL bound
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
User avatar
ReelBluesFan887
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:40 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby glen a richter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:02 pm

I guess he wants a chance to play on a team with a realistic shot at winning the cup?

Oh well. He is gone, isn't he?
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7280
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby SteveO » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:05 pm

WaukeeBlues wrote:I just am not seeing the connect between Kovalchuk saying "I want to be a Thrasher for life" and rejecting a deal paying him $10 mill a season. Realistically, nobody is going to pay him much more than that. What the heck does this guy want?


All lip service.

He's sick of losing so much.

Atlanta (well those of them that actually care) will be burning when he signs with his next team.
User avatar
SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:08 am
Location: Lockout Hell

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby DaDitka » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:12 pm

WaukeeBlues wrote: deal paying him $10 mill a season




101 / 12 = 8.4 mill/ year

He probably would take 10
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund
User avatar
DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: sailing with the Captain

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby SteveO » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:17 pm

DaDitka wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: deal paying him $10 mill a season




101 / 12 = 8.4 mill/ year

He probably would take 10


I think he's referring to the 7 year/70 mil. offer that was turned down.
User avatar
SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:08 am
Location: Lockout Hell

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby DaDitka » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Prngr44 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: deal paying him $10 mill a season




101 / 12 = 8.4 mill/ year

He probably would take 10


I think he's referring to the 7 year/70 mil. offer that was turned down.



Missed that, my bad. :facepalm:

But a 7 year deal? No way he signs something that short. He should, but I doubt he has to.
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund
User avatar
DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: sailing with the Captain

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby SIU LAW » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:21 pm

I think it is pretty clear this isn't about money. He just doesn't want to play for the Thrashers.

If some other market is willing to offer him around the same money, why would he pass up the chance to pick his destination if he feels that the Thrashers are not the place for him? Really think about the history of that franchise and its past ability to be competitive.

That organization is also going through a lot of internal turmoil right now. I don’t want to sound nasty, but it is a loser of an organization and its long term outlook doesn’t look any better. The very fact it is a hockey franchise in the deep South puts it in mediocre footing financially.

With all that said, perhaps money could be a small part of it. I think he will make his NHL salary anywhere, but a bigger hockey market might bring in bigger/more endorsements and thus more non-NHL salary dollars. Those are things that agent will keep in mind and point out to their client.
User avatar
SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 8683
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:26 am
Location: Hockey God Party Room

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby cprice12 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:05 pm

SIU LAW wrote:I think it is pretty clear this isn't about money. He just doesn't want to play for the Thrashers.

If some other market is willing to offer him around the same money, why would he pass up the chance to pick his destination if he feels that the Thrashers are not the place for him? Really think about the history of that franchise and its past ability to be competitive.

That organization is also going through a lot of internal turmoil right now. I don’t want to sound nasty, but it is a loser of an organization and its long term outlook doesn’t look any better. The very fact it is a hockey franchise in the deep South puts it in mediocre footing financially.

With all that said, perhaps money could be a small part of it. I think he will make his NHL salary anywhere, but a bigger hockey market might bring in bigger/more endorsements and thus more non-NHL salary dollars. Those are things that agent will keep in mind and point out to their client.


Bingo.
Bottom line is...he doesn't want to play in Atlanta. I don't think it mattered what they offered him.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19539
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby gaijin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:49 pm

SIU LAW wrote:I think it is pretty clear this isn't about money. He just doesn't want to play for the Thrashers.

If some other market is willing to offer him around the same money, why would he pass up the chance to pick his destination if he feels that the Thrashers are not the place for him? Really think about the history of that franchise and its past ability to be competitive.

That organization is also going through a lot of internal turmoil right now. I don’t want to sound nasty, but it is a loser of an organization and its long term outlook doesn’t look any better. The very fact it is a hockey franchise in the deep South puts it in mediocre footing financially.

With all that said, perhaps money could be a small part of it. I think he will make his NHL salary anywhere, but a bigger hockey market might bring in bigger/more endorsements and thus more non-NHL salary dollars. Those are things that agent will keep in mind and point out to their client.


<closes eyes, clenches fists> not detroit not detroit not detroit not detroit not detroit
Image
User avatar
gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: An undisclosed location in SW Asia

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Postby stlbluz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:22 am

:detsucks:
Image
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald
User avatar
stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 7331
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:11 pm
Location: Edge of my seat


Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests

cron