NHL All Star Game vs Olympics

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

NHL All Star Game vs Olympics

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

Just a thought....

A lot of people complain that the NHL All-Star game is a non-contact, goal fest and there is no defense and no physical play and therefore, a lackluster exhibition game.

The Olympic tournament play this year has been the exact opposite of all of that: Scoring, Hits, (Ovie and Jagr was a classic!), and intensity. Translation: "Something to Play for!??!"

Is Bettman REALLY considering NOT having the NHL participate in any future Olympic games???

(If so, it has to be so that no one gets hurt???)

What do YOU GUYS think???
Mark P

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: NHL All Star Game vs Olympics

Post by dmiles2186 »

I get where Bettman is coming from, he's got multimillion dollar businesses to think of. His players are assets and if they get hurt (see Hasek, Dominik in 2006 for the Senators), its on them. But at the same time, hockey is getting more publicity and more run on sports talk radio and highlight shows that I'd say you would be dumb if you yanked them away from doing this every 4 years. Sure, it messes up scheduling and all of that, but the increased exposure is worth it, I'd say.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

MUBLUES
Prospect
Prospect

Post by MUBLUES »

I think the biggest issue that Bettman has brought up is not only NHL scheduling problems but because the 2014 Olympics will be in Russia it may hinder viewing and exposure due to the time zone differences. I'm not sure how networks will handle or decide to show live games, and with today's accessibility via internet live games are almost required to get the top viewing ratings.

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

the action stirred by the Olympics is something that no man (bettman) can create. its like the government trying to create jobs, its just not the way that it works. the PEOPLE love these games, the fans make it what it is. no one cares about the NHL all-star game because, well no one cares, and there is no market for it. you can't take a product that no one wants to buy and keep trying to think that the public will buy it......we don't care about the nhl all-star game. it is what it is. the Olympic games are a different brand of the game. its like a whole other league of hockey. the nhl all star game is part of the nhl. the nhl is great, but the all-star game isn't. if they had an Olympic all-star game, it would suck ass too.
"Can't wait till 50 posts, so I can create a new topic!"

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

#1ELPBluzFan wrote:
Is Bettman REALLY considering NOT having the NHL participate in any future Olympic games???

I don't think it matters what Bettman does with the schedule......many of them will go anyways.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund