Are the Capitals trying to Acquire Jackman?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Are the Capitals trying to Acquire Jackman?

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

(From NHL.com Trade Blog...)

Are Capitals seeking depth?
02.24.2010 / 09:00 a.m. ET

An interesting report on TheFourthPeriod.com has the Eastern Conference-leading Washington Capitals in the market to add some depth to their already potent lineup.

The web site states that "according to several reports" Washington GM George McPhee might be interested in acquiring a physical, stay-at-home type defenseman and/or a veteran forward before the March 3 trade deadline.

McPhee apparently had interest in former Carolina Hurricanes veteran center Matt Cullen, who was traded to the Ottawa Senators right before the Olympic roster freeze. It is now rumored that McPhee may be in discussions with St. Louis Blues General Manager Larry Pleau for defenseman Barret Jackman, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, and Columbus GM Scott Howson for unrestricted free agent forward Raffi Torres. Jackman has 2 goals, 15 points and a plus-6 rating in 51 games for St. Louis. The 17th overall draft choice in 1999 has spent his entire 7-plus seasons with the Blues.

For now, it appears McPhee is satisfied with goalies Jose Theodore and Semyon Varlamov.

--Mike G. Morreale
Mark P

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Are the Capitals trying to Acquire Jackman?

Post by drwoland »

INNNNNTERESTING

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Was thinking about Armstrong getting the call. Now why would that be unless we're going to have an extra roster spot for a forward. And I'm not thinking of Cam's spot...
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

fargoblues wrote:Was thinking about Armstrong getting the call. Now why would that be unless we're going to have an extra roster spot for a forward. And I'm not thinking of Cam's spot...
I believe its for Tkachuk's spot. Keith had a finger issue that they thought would heal on its own. It was further displaced in practice last week and required surgery. He's out at least 10 days according to the various Blues reporters.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
fargoblues wrote:Was thinking about Armstrong getting the call. Now why would that be unless we're going to have an extra roster spot for a forward. And I'm not thinking of Cam's spot...
I believe its for Tkachuk's spot. Keith had a finger issue that they thought would heal on its own. It was further displaced in practice last week and required surgery. He's out at least 10 days according to the various Blues reporters.
*COUGH*

V V V V V V V V
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Give Blues fans some Boston Pizza and you got a deal.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

JD says "All is quiet"

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/m ... ing-front/

This could be one of those trades where somebody tried to pick pocket the Blues.

You know whats awesome and substantial? Trade speculation.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I didn't know our zamboni was broken down and we needed the spare parts. Tell them Brewer is available and we need some used practice pucks.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

Jackman is not the worst defensive player on this team, he is more likely the best or 2nd to Polak depending on what you consider the most important variables of being a defenseman. I can show you this if you like, but since you (general "you", nobody specifically) have seen the likes of Rick Nash and other superstars frequently make Jackman look bad then he must be worthless, right?

If you want to scapegoat a d-man for this season crucify Johnson, you'd have an easier time proving that. You are focused on the wrong area, but since it is easier to get pissed and toss around blame on a goal that enters our net than a goal for us that never materializes, we best stick to complaining about the positives of this team. :roll:
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

BoxCar wrote:Jackman is not the worst defensive player on this team, he is more likely the best or 2nd to Polak depending on what you consider the most important variables of being a defenseman. I can show you this if you like, but since you (general "you", nobody specifically) have seen the likes of Rick Nash and other superstars frequently make Jackman look bad then he must be worthless, right?
Two things make me view Jackman as the best choice to trade away....

#1) He has not had his head in the game what so ever. Dude is missing it between the ears right now and I saw clear signs of it last last year was well. IMO he doesn't 'love' hockey anymore and that is not something likely to change.

#2) Contract situation - he still has two years left on his deal. If you get out from under his contract, it is reasonable to think you could pick up 2 mill of Brewers contract and unload him in the offseason and now you cleared two wasted spots and 6.5 mill to tack on top of Paulie's 6 mill, Walt’s, 2 mill, and Mason's 3 mill.

Resign Carlo, and elevate a kid and you'll have as good of a D (if not better) and 17.5 mill to get a Goalie and some scoring .

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

DaDitka wrote:
BoxCar wrote:Jackman is not the worst defensive player on this team, he is more likely the best or 2nd to Polak depending on what you consider the most important variables of being a defenseman. I can show you this if you like, but since you (general "you", nobody specifically) have seen the likes of Rick Nash and other superstars frequently make Jackman look bad then he must be worthless, right?

#1) He has not had his head in the game what so ever. Dude is missing it between the ears right now and I saw clear signs of it last last year was well. IMO he doesn't 'love' hockey anymore and that is not something likely to change.

#2) Contract situation - he still has two years left on his deal. If you get out from under his contract, it is reasonable to think you could pick up 2 mill of Brewers contract and unload him in the offseason and now you cleared two wasted spots and 6.5 mill to tack on top of Paulie's 6 mill, Walt’s, 2 mill, and Mason's 3 mill.

Resign Carlo, and elevate a kid and you'll have as good of a D (if not better) and 17.5 mill to get a Goalie and some scoring .

Oh I'm not against trading him, by all means get some value for him. He is probably a little overpaid, but he does his job as a defensive defenseman just fine. He hits, he blocks shots, he roughs it up. He has the highest +/- of all defenseman on the team.

He and Weaver put up almost 4 minutes of SH TOI per game each, good for tops in the league. What else is near the top in the league? The Blues PK.

He is nowhere near perfect. His TA/GA ratio is horrible, twice as many give-aways as take-aways. But to act like teams should consider him a low-value player is insane. He is just the player I'd want on my 2nd or 3rd (if I had a deep team) defensive pairing and on the penalty kill. To quote Illinois' recent governor "That's a f***in valuable thing!" :lol:
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:

Got examples of point #1?
Seems like I remember Jackman being the lone soldier out there on defense during the playoff push last year. All while having a bum leg (knee or ankle). Yep, no heart or love of the game.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote: Got examples of point #1?
Seems like I remember Jackman being the lone soldier out there on defense during the playoff push last year. All while having a bum leg (knee or ankle). Yep, no heart or love of the game.

What team were you watching? Jackman was terrible during the playoff push last year AND EVEN ADMITTED IT. Sure he blamed it on injury, but I don't understand how injury had him constantly out of position.

Like I said, it’s not just m opinion….it’s his as well.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

per Bob McKenzie's Twitter
Bob McKenzie wrote:Capitals are interested in adding a player with a Cup ring and/or playoff experience as a stabilizing influence.
I guess that takes Jackman out of the conversation. Ha!

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:
northwest dave wrote: Got examples of point #1?

What team were you watching? Jackman was terrible during the playoff push last year AND EVEN ADMITTED IT. Sure he blamed it on injury, but I don't understand how injury had him constantly out of position.

Like I said, it’s not just m opinion….it’s his as well.
He admitted he didn't have the love for the game?
Gotta link?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote:
Gotta link?
He admitted that he played poorly.

Sorry if I'm picking on your favorite player, but dude's played like crap (considering expectations).

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Gotta link?
He admitted that he played poorly.

Sorry if I'm picking on your favorite player, but dude's played like crap (considering expectations).
Not my favorite player and I know Jax didn't play consistent last year. I disagree this year...IMO I think he's played pretty well. But you still didn't answer my question...what examples are that Jackman lost the love of the game?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote:what examples are that Jackman lost the love of the game?

inconsistent passion and he's not had his head in the game often. He's out of position. He's given up on plays. That kind of stuff.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:
northwest dave wrote:what examples are that Jackman lost the love of the game?

inconsistent passion and he's not had his head in the game often. He's out of position. He's given up on plays. That kind of stuff.
I think he was trying to do more than he's capable of...not to say he played bad at times, because he did. But, we might just have to disagree...I think Jax is one of the key players on the blues right now.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I'd welcome talks that involved moving Jackman. No question. If we could get a high pick or a decent prospect...yup.

Jackman is a good defenseman...and I like the guy. But he will never be a real #1 or #2 guy because he has too many lapses and missed assignments to be considered as such.

Is he as bad as Brewer? No.
Has he been better this year than last...yes.

I'd take Jackman over Brewer in a heartbeat, but I'd have to say that neither one at this point is absolutely crucial to the success of this team, unless they start playing a lot better than they have been. (but if that were the case, you'd keep them to help make the playoffs)

It also kind of sucks that Jackman doesn't rough it up as much as he used to because of his bad shoulder. He rarely lays anyone out and hardly ever fights. That was a big part of his game his first year-plus in the league. Blame Bertuzzi and rule changes after the lockout for Jackman's drop off in performance.

EJ, Polak, Weaver, Colaiacovo are our top four as far as I am concerned and should be retained. Brewer and Jackman are overpaid and underperforming and are therefore expendable. (common sense)

I would imagine Jackman may actually have some trade value because he could be a serviceable veteran defenseman (who pretends to be mean on the ice once in a while without ever really doing much) to a cup contender looking to add depth on the blueline...we'll see.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/