The Offseason

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Offseason

Post by goon attack »

Was there any doubt Waukee would have is ass backwards? :facepalm:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

big d note wrote:I agree that this offseason will be key. I'm not as sold on Kovalchuk especially at the price he will command. If he is the final piece to take a mediocre team to the Cup, then why didn't Atlanta accomplish more? The Blues need to focus on players that excel in the playoffs too.

My vote: Eric Staal for Berglund, Pietrangelo, and Jackman. The Blues get a strong center and a proven playoff winner, who is still young and with a decent cap hit. The Canes get some cheap young players with potential and Jackman.
I believe Kovalchuk only has had 4 postseason games(before this year) so you can't really say that
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

STLADOGG wrote:
big d note wrote:I agree that this offseason will be key. I'm not as sold on Kovalchuk especially at the price he will command. If he is the final piece to take a mediocre team to the Cup, then why didn't Atlanta accomplish more? The Blues need to focus on players that excel in the playoffs too.

My vote: Eric Staal for Berglund, Pietrangelo, and Jackman. The Blues get a strong center and a proven playoff winner, who is still young and with a decent cap hit. The Canes get some cheap young players with potential and Jackman.
I believe Kovalchuk only has had 4 postseason games(before this year) so you can't really say that
Not to mention, on the stat sheet, Kovalchuk has been involved with almost every goal New Jersey has scored thus far...

I'm not sold on the fact that he's the right guy for St. Louis, but he steps up. I just don't see him leading this Blues team... not to mention, the cost of getting him signed would be outrageous. Why would he sign with another Atlanta level team right now when he could sign with whoever he wants? The offer would have to be insane... this team needs a major overhaul before they're ready for Kovalchuk.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Here, I've photoshopped our prophet in a blue note:

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Watch Kovalchuk go right back to Atlanta.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Prngr44 wrote:Watch Kovalchuk go right back to Atlanta.
Maybe if there's an Atlanta, Russia.

My money would be on either the Rangers with cablevision money or the Islanders with Charles Wang money.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote:

My money would be on either the Rangers with cablevision money or the Islanders with Charles Wang money.
I would say no to both NY teams, but ESPECIALLY the Islanders. He'd be taking a huge step backwards from Atlanta by going to the Isles.

At some point, you have to take quality of life into account. The Isles would have to offer some Ovechkin type numbers.

He'll probably go to San Jose after they drop most of their salaries from this year's team after they lose to Colorado in round 1.... I could see him in Colorado though too since they might have the cap space.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Is Kovalchuk really considering going back to Russia? Many posters here are referring to it but I've seen nothing floating around teh internetz that really leads me to believe he's considering it as a viable alternative.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

I would say no to both NY teams, but ESPECIALLY the Islanders. He'd be taking a huge step backwards from Atlanta by going to the Isles.

At some point, you have to take quality of life into account. The Isles would have to offer some Ovechkin type numbers.

He'll probably go to San Jose after they drop most of their salaries from this year's team after they lose to Colorado in round 1.... I could see him in Colorado though too since they might have the cap space.
Are you in any way implying that the quality of life on Long Island is bad?

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Is Kovalchuk really considering going back to Russia? Many posters here are referring to it but I've seen nothing floating around teh internetz that really leads me to believe he's considering it as a viable alternative.
It's becoming less of a viable alternative since many of the teams are in serious financial trouble and Dynamo Moscow (one of the top teams in the KHL) just folded due to finances.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote:Are you in any way implying that the quality of life on Long Island is bad?
Actually I was gearing that more towards the Islanders sucking, but Long Island sucks too. :wink:

Of course, I live in Kansas... so that just says how much credibility I have about where good places are to live..

Money or not, I just can't see Kovalchuk going back to a bad team when he put in his time with Atlanta for all those years.

A-Yo!
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by A-Yo! »

I think IK knows the teams who will be in the running. He has probably weighed the positives/negatives as well as how close/far away they are from being in cup contention. The Blues are a few key pieces away. Now if the Blues get Nabby, first then go after IK, it would at least show him they are serious.

All of that said, why even bring his name up, JD said that the Blues aren't going to be in the running for the expensive players so cross both Nabby and IK off. I think that is NOT the correct approach. The fans here want to see an always improving product and if the Blues don't get a top goalie (which we know can totally turn this team around) NOT named Turco, that right there could be the move that has a profound effect upon this team for a good long while.

Or who knows maybe JD is doing a little obfuscation which would be badass! :wink:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Are you in any way implying that the quality of life on Long Island is bad?
Actually I was gearing that more towards the Islanders sucking, but Long Island sucks too. :wink:

Of course, I live in Kansas... so that just says how much credibility I have about where good places are to live..

Money or not, I just can't see Kovalchuk going back to a bad team when he put in his time with Atlanta for all those years.
I'll grant you that the Isles suck, although they're not really as far away as people think. Aside from the fact that this season was really bad for them, due in part to the goaltending woes, they're probably about as far away from being playoff contenders as the Blues are. They have good pieces and some good young prospects who haven't made the club yet (I'm thinking of DeHaan, chiefly).

However, the quality of life on Long Island (if you're wealthy, which Kovalchuk would be) is fantastic. For those of us working stiffs, it's a lot tougher, but still a great place to live. Not too many Russians around these parts though.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote: I'll grant you that the Isles suck, although they're not really as far away as people think. Aside from the fact that this season was really bad for them, due in part to the goaltending woes, they're probably about as far away from being playoff contenders as the Blues are. They have good pieces and some good young prospects who haven't made the club yet (I'm thinking of DeHaan, chiefly).

However, the quality of life on Long Island (if you're wealthy, which Kovalchuk would be) is fantastic. For those of us working stiffs, it's a lot tougher, but still a great place to live. Not too many Russians around these parts though.
Islanders goaltending woes are almost as bad as the Blues were a few years back... why did they sign DiPietro to such a ridiculous contract? 8 years should have been the max... I couldn't even tell you who their number 1 goalie is right now...

...nor can I tell you who the Blues' number 1 will be next year... :facepalm:

Edit: Roloson? ...wow

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

A-Yo! wrote: All of that said, why even bring his name up, JD said that the Blues aren't going to be in the running for the expensive players so cross both Nabby and IK off. I think that is NOT the correct approach. The fans here want to see an always improving product and if the Blues don't get a top goalie (which we know can totally turn this team around) NOT named Turco, that right there could be the move that has a profound effect upon this team for a good long while.

As long as our knew goalie manages to slash Jackman in the ankle and knock him out for the year, and he can score 25 - 30 goals, we'll be in fine shape.

That said, we'll resign Mason so he can keep us in games only to blow up like a double parked car outside the Teamsters' hall in the third period, while Kerbs and Strickland continue to polish Jackman's balls, Brewer continues to carry the C, and the organization looks to Eller to replace Walt's scoring, Paulie's scoring, and and the additional 25 - 30 goals we need. JD and company will how our BIG free agent acquisition were retaining our own free agents.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

DaDitka wrote:
A-Yo! wrote: All of that said, why even bring his name up, JD said that the Blues aren't going to be in the running for the expensive players so cross both Nabby and IK off. I think that is NOT the correct approach. The fans here want to see an always improving product and if the Blues don't get a top goalie (which we know can totally turn this team around) NOT named Turco, that right there could be the move that has a profound effect upon this team for a good long while.

As long as our knew goalie manages to slash Jackman in the ankle and knock him out for the year, and he can score 25 - 30 goals, we'll be in fine shape.

That said, we'll resign Mason so he can keep us in games only to blow up like a double parked car outside the Teamsters' hall in the third period, while Kerbs and Strickland continue to polish Jackman's balls, Brewer continues to carry the C, and the organization looks to Eller to replace Walt's scoring, Paulie's scoring, and and the additional 25 - 30 goals we need. JD and company will how our BIG free agent acquisition were retaining our own free agents.
My guess is you're closer than you think.