The Offseason

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: The Offseason

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote: I throw a little caution out there. The defense was tops in PK this year. The offense from the dline sucked. The trick will be to add an offensive-minded dman, while maintaining the high level of defense. But if you start throwing out players that make the PK tops, that will be the next hole to fix.

It should be an interesting summer for JD and Armstrong.

Two things,

#1 - That was mainly because we have the BEST penalty killing forwards in the league

#2 - Mike Weaver was huge killing penalties down the stretch. When we did have mental breakdowns on the PK it was nearly always #5 (that's why I could care less about his annual injury excuse).

As for offensive point production form the defense, I'd look again. EJ had a huge year, Brewer quietly netted 7 and Carlo did a good job as well. What they really struggled with was the outlet pass and the funny part was that it was your two highest paid defensmen were the biggest culprits.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

If that's it, the Blues can go on next season without me on the rolls. I'm not paying going prices for mediocre hockey. Call me when the half-empty building's selling half-price tickets.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:
northwest dave wrote: I throw a little caution out there. The defense was tops in PK this year. The offense from the dline sucked. The trick will be to add an offensive-minded dman, while maintaining the high level of defense. But if you start throwing out players that make the PK tops, that will be the next hole to fix.

It should be an interesting summer for JD and Armstrong.

Two things,

#1 - That was mainly because we have the BEST penalty killing forwards in the league

#2 - Mike Weaver was huge killing penalties down the stretch. When we did have mental breakdowns on the PK it was nearly always #5 (that's why I could care less about his annual injury excuse).

As for offensive point production form the defense, I'd look again. EJ had a huge year, Brewer quietly netted 7 and Carlo did a good job as well. What they really struggled with was the outlet pass and the funny part was that it was your two highest paid defensmen were the biggest culprits.
I know you have the hate on jackman and all, but he had a pretty good year. And while you only want to give credit to the forwards, he was part of the main unit. And that's what I'm saying. Can Mike Weaver consistently play over 20 minutes a game? Not sure about that.

And I'm not opposed to trading Jackman, but you'll need a defensive dman that can play the minutes. Or acquire a player like Pronger who can be your defensive guy and still provide offense.

I agree about outlet passing. And that's where I'm hoping Payne can help. It's not just up the defense, but a whole system of forwards connecting with the defense. And only Payne will know if Jackman can fit into he scheme.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote:
I know you have the hate on jackman and all, but he had a pretty good year.

It's not hate, if anyone is letting their feelings blind them here it is clearly you.

I watched every road game and attended all but five home games. I've seen every play he's made (or more likely, hasn't made). He was half the player Brewer was and Brewer's ass should be ran out of town was well. Just look and read around how much everyone is talking about how much better the team played when Jackman was out and Carlo got an expanded role.

Sure you'll get one story from the 'company' guys like JR, Kerbs, an even Srickland (who actually noted the Carlo thing himself) but either trust your eyes or other media guys who don't have agendas and you'll find that Jackman was every bit as disappointing this year as Boyes or Berglund.

I'm not happy with Mason, or Brewer, or Backes' play this season, but they each have some bright spots and supporters can make fair defenses for them, but sorry.....anyone being truthful to themselves knows that Jackman was awful this year. He was an embarrassment in the playoffs last year and he carried that pathetic play throughout this season.

What make it hurt the most is trough out December and January of the 08-09 season, he was actually starting to play like the Jackman we all remembered (and that was without the Chris or Al).

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Prngr44 wrote:I think people are going to be VERY disappointed in the offseason.

They'll get the RFA contracts done (Perron, Steen, Johnson) but I think you'll see Brewer, Jackman, Mason, and Kariya all back as well.

I think we'll make one significant UFA signing and that'll be it. Rest will be supporting cast.
I agree with this. I think this is a key offseason for the FO. I've said that in several other threads. What this team can't do is enter into an expensive contract with a player who may yield mediocre results, like Kariya the last 3 years. While he was a great 'face of the franchise,' his 6 mil cap hit kept us out of any significant FA market pick ups. I think the Blues will go after a 2nd tier UFA this year, like you mentioned. Maybe Frolov, someone like that. I just hope it is someone who is on-the-rise, as opposed to a former elite player on the downhill slide.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

And what's this Tomas Holmstrom business? Any truth that the Blues may go after him as a replacement for Walt?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:I think people are going to be VERY disappointed in the offseason.

They'll get the RFA contracts done (Perron, Steen, Johnson) but I think you'll see Brewer, Jackman, Mason, and Kariya all back as well.

I think we'll make one significant UFA signing and that'll be it. Rest will be supporting cast.
I agree with this. I think this is a key offseason for the FO. I've said that in several other threads. What this team can't do is enter into an expensive contract with a player who may yield mediocre results, like Kariya the last 3 years. While he was a great 'face of the franchise,' his 6 mil cap hit kept us out of any significant FA market pick ups. I think the Blues will go after a 2nd tier UFA this year, like you mentioned. Maybe Frolov, someone like that. I just hope it is someone who is on-the-rise, as opposed to a former elite player on the downhill slide.
Sounds more and more like we will be active in the trade market. It's not going to be very popular with fans though because most don't seem to understand that you have to give to get. I certainly don't want to give up on anyone on this roster, but besides EJ, no one is untouchable if the deal puts us in a better position to compete for the cup. I love my favorite players and sure I have some money invested in personalized jerseys and such, but the most important thing to me is positioning this team to eventually bring home the cup. If that means trading my favorite player or a fan favorite, so be it.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Armstrong will work some shrewd deals, but they've got to do something because I have zero interest in paying a 60% increase for another 90 - 92 point season.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I agree that this offseason will be key. I'm not as sold on Kovalchuk especially at the price he will command. If he is the final piece to take a mediocre team to the Cup, then why didn't Atlanta accomplish more? The Blues need to focus on players that excel in the playoffs too.

My vote: Eric Staal for Berglund, Pietrangelo, and Jackman. The Blues get a strong center and a proven playoff winner, who is still young and with a decent cap hit. The Canes get some cheap young players with potential and Jackman.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

big d note wrote: My vote: Eric Staal for Berglund, Pietrangelo, and Jackman. The Blues get a strong center and a proven playoff winner, who is still young and with a decent cap hit. The Canes get some cheap young players with potential and Jackman.

Now resign Carlo (or sign an equivalent), sign Frolov and I'm good.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

dmiles2186 wrote:And what's this Tomas Holmstrom business? Any truth that the Blues may go after him as a replacement for Walt?
:shock:

No.

(Frank) No.

No (Franking) Way. I hate that pussy.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

fargoblues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:And what's this Tomas Holmstrom business? Any truth that the Blues may go after him as a replacement for Walt?

No.

(Frank) No.

No (Frank) Way. I hate that pussy.
This. A thousand times over. This.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
fargoblues wrote:

No.

(Frank) No.

Good. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not sure where the rumor started, I just heard about it yesterday. But say he were signed....I honestly have no idea how I could even root for him at all.

WindyCityBluesFan
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by WindyCityBluesFan »

dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
fargoblues wrote:

No.

(Frank) No.

Good. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not sure where the rumor started, I just heard about it yesterday. But say he were signed....I honestly have no idea how I could even root for him at all.

AHHHHH!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!! Please do not do this. Holmstrom is THE WORST! I hate his freakin face. God I would hate this move.

Jackman_the_Iceman
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman_the_Iceman »

While you all know I am a huge Jackman fan, I honestly have to say that my fandom of him ended about 2 seasons ago. He was a warrior in the old NHL but unfortunately it looks like the new NHL is leaving him behind. Also, didn't it seem to anybody else that Jackman started sucking after he got married???

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Jackman_the_Iceman wrote:Also, didn't it seem to anybody else that Jackman started sucking after he got married???
Probably because she stopped.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

stlbluz wrote:
Jackman_the_Iceman wrote:Also, didn't it seem to anybody else that Jackman started sucking after he got married???

I see what you did there.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

stlbluz wrote:
:lol:

If anything it's the other way around. He's all chilled out all the time cause he's getting it on a regular basis. Lost his edge.
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
stlbluz wrote:

If anything it's the other way around. He's all chilled out all the time cause he's getting it on a regular basis. Lost his edge.
You obviously aren't married.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
stlbluz wrote:

You obviously aren't married.
My thoughts exactly.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

:okman: :bluecool: