2010 Playoffs - Round 2

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: 2010 Playoffs - Round 2

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Maybe the Hawks winning will be enough to give the Blues organization--players and management alike--a kick in the pants to get started on doing something relevant.
:plusplus: :plusplus: They were in the same turmoil as us at the same time. They drafted Toews right after we took Eeej, and now they are most likely headed to the Cup Finals while the Blues have been hockey-less since early April. I'm not taking the road of "we should have taken Toews," I'm simply saying that they did the right things that got them where they are. Its obvious we weren't doing the right things.
They might have been in the same turmoil as us at the same time but the Hawks also tried a bunch of different things that didn't work and then it all came together at once. First it was Amonte-Daze-Zhamnov-Thibault that were going to put them over the top, then they were rebuilding and had Arnason-Ruutu, then they traded them, their draft picks didn't pan out, on and on and on and then finally, Seabrook and Keith turned the corner, Kane and Toews arrived the same year, Wirtz died (one of the best things that happened to that franchise im sorry to say, and at a perfect time), games were on TV and the GM went out and spent up the wahzoo on free agents.

Everything came together for them all at once and there is no team in the NHL that I can really point to that has had that many positive things all fall into line at the same time. The Blues are doing the right things thus far- I just want to see them (as you pointed out) do something big this summer, even if its just for the sake of doing it.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

:hawkssuck: :hawkssuck: :hawkssuck:

Lets go Flyers?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

sseagle wrote::hawkssuck: :hawkssuck: :hawkssuck:

Lets go Flyers?
This.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

so now 2 out of 5 teams in the division have gone to the cup finals in the past couple years.
Blues better get on it.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:so now 2 out of 5 teams in the division have gone to the cup finals in the past couple years.
Blues better get on it.
Next year - COLUMBUS!!! What a moneymaker that will be for the NHL.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I think I might get some grief for this suggestion, but why not go after Nabokov in the off-season? He's probably played his last game in the Bay, and regardless of how much blame is put on him for the Sharks failures, he's a top quality goalie. Some of those "bad" goals he gave up weren't all his fault, either.

He'd be expensive, but worth it for the Blues, IMO. I'd hate to see him in the division, just a suggestion.

Otherwise we're trying to move Huet if you're interested. 8) Really, in all fairness to Huet, he's not as bad as everyone in Chicago seems to think he is. It's hard to be a "starting" goalie when anytime he has a bad game he got sat for 5 games...Niemi, as much as I like him, got a much longer leash. Probably not worth his contract, and will be sent to Rockford for salary cap reasons, but he'd be a good pickup for an established team somewhere.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Your Prince of Wales Conference Champions : The Philadelphia Flyers
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

And Mike Keane said no team could win with Pronger. :|

Time to burn some sage and change the water in STL...man this is old.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

northwest dave wrote:And Mike Keane said no team could win with Pronger. :|

Time to burn some sage and change the water in STL...man this is old.
Yeah, his career has certainly tanked since he left hasn't it...

:facepalm:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Pronger is going to have nightmares about Byfuglien for months after this series. There's no way he can physically move him. This isn't 1997, and the league won't allow defensemen to chop trees down in front of the net anymore. The only way Pronger moves Byfuglien is with his patented cross-check...which is fine with me, it will lead to a lot of powerplay time.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Ruutu15 wrote:Pronger is going to have nightmares about Byfuglien for months after this series. There's no way he can physically move him. This isn't 1997, and the league won't allow defensemen to chop trees down in front of the net anymore. The only way Pronger moves Byfuglien is with his patented cross-check...which is fine with me, it will lead to a lot of powerplay time.
See I was thinking the exact opposite- All of a sudden Byfuglien is going to have someone who actually CAN move him or at the very least gives way more than 2 sh*ts that he's doing the patended Keith Tkachuk circle in front of the goal. I honestly think he's going to get shut down this series; you better believe the Flyers aren't going to ignore his couple of clutch goals, they're going to take that big lesson from the Sharks.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Coach Q on one side and Pronger on the other. It's almost easier to pretend it's the 2002 Blues playing for the cup. :lol:

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Portland Blues wrote:Coach Q on one side and Pronger on the other. It's almost easier to pretend it's the 2002 Blues playing for the cup. :lol:
zing

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Also, Curt, time for round 4 picks!

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:Pronger is going to have nightmares about Byfuglien for months after this series. There's no way he can physically move him. This isn't 1997, and the league won't allow defensemen to chop trees down in front of the net anymore. The only way Pronger moves Byfuglien is with his patented cross-check...which is fine with me, it will lead to a lot of powerplay time.
See I was thinking the exact opposite- All of a sudden Byfuglien is going to have someone who actually CAN move him or at the very least gives way more than 2 sh*ts that he's doing the patended Keith Tkachuk circle in front of the goal. I honestly think he's going to get shut down this series; you better believe the Flyers aren't going to ignore his couple of clutch goals, they're going to take that big lesson from the Sharks.
It's going to be a good battle. Philly is much more physical than any of the other teams Chicago has faced. I'm curious to see if Philly will be able to continue their 4-man defence rotation, especially against the skill and speed of Chicago.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Here's how they stack up, according to the "official" measurements.

Byfuglien 6'4", 256lbs (more like 265lbs)

Pronger 6'6", 220 lbs

It really is going to be a clash of the titans in front of Philadelphia's net. I can't wait to get this thing goin'!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I'll bet on Pronger's experience over Buttfyucklin.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Anyone got any "blackhawks suck" pics? I've got a friend who is a major blackhawks fan with no ammo. :grin:
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

The Flake wrote:Anyone got any "blackhawks suck" pics? I've got a friend who is a major blackhawks fan with no ammo. :grin:

You could always show him the standings page on NHL.com :)

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

The Flake wrote:Anyone got any "blackhawks suck" pics? I've got a friend who is a major blackhawks fan with no ammo. :grin:
[youtube][/youtube]