Junland returning to Sweden...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

MUBLUES
Prospect
Prospect

Junland returning to Sweden...

Post by MUBLUES »

... :facepalm:
Blues defensive prospect Jonas Junland has signed a one-year contract with Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League, the Post-Dispatch has confirmed.

There is speculation that Junland, the Blues’ third-round pick (64th overall) in 2006, has an out-clause in his SEL contract, which could allow him to return to St. Louis, but that has not been confirmed.

The Peoria Journal-Star is reporting that Junland turned down a one-way, $500,000 contract offer from the Blues, which would have paid him that salary regardless of if he was in the NHL or the American Hockey League next season.

“I’ve announced my plans for the Blues and my goal is to one day play again for the Blues,” Junland said in a release from the European team. “Right now it is not about the money, but the important thing is to get the best conditions for development and games in a really good league.”

Junland played four games the Blues in two seasons, including three in 2009-10.
http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/m ... te-league/

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Junland returning to Sweden...

Post by philco_3 »

awesome....
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Another win by current management.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

At least he's leaving open the possibility.

Typically it's just deuces and that's that. The guy at least acknowledged he knows there's still a team here :lol:

but yea- another bunk job. What else can we expect from our non first rounders.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

sounds about right. I'll never expect much from this team

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

epic fail

Now what?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

We wait for our team president to recharge his Rascal so he can cruise up to the podium and actually say something about it. Fat chance of that happening.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I never really expected much from him, but it's still an epic waste of team resources.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

This is where I wish some media member had the balls to ask Davidson what the hell they were thinking. Is that going to happen?

No; we aren't allowed to challenge sports management in St. Louis.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

How's that defense looking for next season?

If it wasn't for EJ providing some offensive spark, I'd think that the D would contribute zero points next year with Junland obviously out of the picture and Cola probably not returning.

Not to mention the D not providing much defensive spark either. It doesn't matter who the goalie is next year, they'll give up 3+ per game. This doesn't win games unless you're the (regular season) Capitals, and we are most certainly not on the same level as that team.

Unless they're planning an all out "throw 'em to the fire" and intend to get Pie and Cole (and maybe Fairchild?) up tuit suite, I don't know what the hell else to think about this other than all out managerial incompetence.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:How's that defense looking for next season?

If it wasn't for EJ providing some offensive spark, I'd think that the D would contribute zero points next year with Junland obviously out of the picture and Cola probably not returning.

Not to mention the D not providing much defensive spark either. It doesn't matter who the goalie is next year, they'll give up 3+ per game. This doesn't win games unless you're the (regular season) Capitals, and we are most certainly not on the same level as that team.

Unless they're planning an all out "throw 'em to the fire" and intend to get Pie and Cole (and maybe Fairchild?) up tuit suite, I don't know what the hell else to think about this other than all out managerial incompetence.
Panic button much?

This guy was a long shot to make the team next year anyway as I understood it. Why the meltdown?

I think it's another botch by management as well but Junland going to Sweden doesn't exactly qualify as throwing the hands in the air, lets give up and say eff it. I would be shocked if Cole made it next year. Petro maybe. Either signing someone/multiples this summer or trading. They'll figure it out.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:We wait for our team president to recharge his Rascal so he can cruise up to the podium and actually say something about it. Fat chance of that happening.
Hey! It's a personal mobility device!

:lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

WaukeeBlues wrote:

Panic button much?

This guy was a long shot to make the team next year anyway as I understood it. Why the meltdown?

I think it's another botch by management as well but Junland going to Sweden doesn't exactly qualify as throwing the hands in the air, lets give up and say eff it. I would be shocked if Cole made it next year. Petro maybe. Either signing someone/multiples this summer or trading. They'll figure it out.
How long can you defend incompetence before you get fed up with it?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

Panic button much?

How long can you defend incompetence before you get fed up with it?
For me personally, this offseason is big in my faith of the rebuilding. If we don't make the playoffs next year, clearly what we were doing hasn't worked. But I just can't see that happening.

I was never a fan of the 1990's-2000's Blues practices of trading our first round pick every deadline, buying star players from teams that couldn't afford them (e.g. Weight), etc. It worked for a while and the Blues enjoyed some minor success (most notably in 2001) and we had that laudable 25 year playoff streak, but it's not, imo, how you make a championship team and in 25 straight years, we made the conference finals 3 times. That's pitiful.

I have faith in what the Blues management is trying to do for those reasons; mainly because it's different and its how its done nowadays. If it doesn't work in the next few years that the Blues are serious Cup Contenders, then yes- it's on the trades that were or weren't made, the guys in the locker room, or free agent botches, i.e. management.

I'm not at that point yet. In regards to Junland, I'm not shocked because it happens on a fairly regular basis and not just to the Blues and while he was talented, it's not like we let Erik Johnson go play in Russia.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

For me, the only thing that angers me is the fact that he was never given a clear chance to play with the big boys. You cannot judge a player in his first few games; if the Whalers did that they would have never given that Pronger guy a chance.

Its not like we are the Red Wings or Flyers and have a stacked defensive roster (as much as the salary cap era with allow). What was keeping Junland in Peoria? Sydor? Really? Instead of playing that hack late in the season, they needed to call up Junland WAY earlier than they did. Give the kid a shot for about 8-10 games and if he couldn't cut it, send him packing to Peoria and enjoy the SEL next season.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

Junland needed to make the team next year. We needed more offensive spark from the defense and on the powerplay. Would he be a below average defender? Probably, but hide his flaws by pairing him with Polak. At least Polak would actually be covering for someone who could actually contribute offensively, unlike his current partner.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I think there is way too much panic and angst over this (and no I am not a front office apologist).

Junland has been threatening to take his ball and go home for two or three seasons if he didn't make the NHL.

Despite putting that out there, he would still show up every September as a lightweight. He wouldn't do what he needed to do to put on some NHL ready weight/mass.

Sure he had offensive skills, but if a defenseman can't defend, what are you going to do?

Think about some of the other talent in the pipeline that display or will develop a more rounded game. Should Junland be able to just demand and walk into a spot, despite showing up without making a commitment to adding muscle?

Sure he was putting up some numbers in the AHL this season, but look up some information about his overall play down there this season.

I know everyone wants to see somebody new that they have been hearing about for years, but at some point you to have face the reality that not all picks or prospects pan out. There are reasons why guys with some flashy skills do not go higher in the draft (lack of an overall, rounded game) or don't get drafted despite some interesting abilities (see Wagner).

I became much less aggravated over prospects and whipped into a frenzy about them, once I realized that a lot of them you will never see, many just don't pan out, and they are not worth swooning over until they actually crack the roster and do something.

My only big complaint is that perhaps the Blues should have tried to deal him when it was obvious that he was a ticking flight risk (assuming someone else would take on that risk).

"That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

SIU LAW wrote:I think there is way too much panic and angst over this (and no I am not a front office apologist).

Junland has been threatening to take his ball and go home for two or three seasons if he didn't make the NHL.

Despite putting that out there, he would still show up every September as a lightweight. He wouldn't do what he needed to do to put on some NHL ready weight/mass.

Sure he had offensive skills, but if a defenseman can't defend, what are you going to do?

Think about some of the other talent in the pipeline that display or will develop a more rounded game. Should Junland be able to just demand and walk into a spot, despite showing up without making a commitment to adding muscle?

Sure he was putting up some numbers in the AHL this season, but look up some information about his overall play down there this season.

I know everyone wants to see somebody new that they have been hearing about for years, but at some point you to have face the reality that not all picks or prospects pan out. There are reasons why guys with some flashy skills do not go higher in the draft (lack of an overall, rounded game) or don't get drafted despite some interesting abilities (see Wagner).

I became much less aggravated over prospects and whipped into a frenzy about them, once I realized that a lot of them you will never see, many just don't pan out, and they are not worth swooning over until they actually crack the roster and do something.

My only big complaint is that perhaps the Blues should have tried to deal him when it was obvious that he was a ticking flight risk (assuming someone else would take on that risk).

"That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

I agree, and I have held strong to my belief that if he made the team...we'd be a worse team (it's not as if he would have taken Jackman's spot).

The problem comes in with how much the organization has built him up.

In the end, if Armstong does what's best for the organization, this could turn out to be a very, very good thing.....

No question, we've got to bring back Carlo. :grin:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Yet another failure that people are trying to justify.

I wish I could be the president of the Blues. You never get held responsible for anything.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Yet another failure that people are trying to justify.

I wish I could be the president of the Blues. You never get held responsible for anything.
How is this such a monumental failure that it's worth pulling your hair out about?
WaukeeBlues wrote:In regards to Junland, I'm not shocked because it happens on a fairly regular basis and not just to the Blues and while he was talented, it's not like we let Erik Johnson go play in Russia.
Prospects jump ship for Europe- it happens all the time for any number of reasons and to all 30 NHL teams. Could management have worked harder to get him to stay? Yea, but we don't know the exact reasons he wanted to go to Europe. I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm clearly in the minority I guess.