Stanley Cup Finals

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Stanley Cup Finals

Post by glen a richter »

fargoblues wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
Jackman_the_Iceman wrote:I hate that these "fans" that are just coming back to watch the Blackhawks are going to see them win the Stanley Cup(more than likely). The Blackhawk players might deserve the trophy, but their "fans" sure as hell don't.

I hate them as well, but it's unfair to lump all Hawks fans into that category. Most, for sure...but not all.
True. If there was such a thing as a "good" Blackhawks fan, you would certainly qualify... :D
But there is no such thing. Just to clarify....
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
Jackman_the_Iceman wrote:I hate that these "fans" that are just coming back to watch the Blackhawks are going to see them win the Stanley Cup(more than likely). The Blackhawk players might deserve the trophy, but their "fans" sure as hell don't.

I hate them as well, but it's unfair to lump all Hawks fans into that category. Most, for sure...but not all.
True. If there was such a thing as a "good" Blackhawks fan, you would certainly qualify... :D
But there is no such thing. Just to clarify....
Exactamundo.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

OTOH, I have no love for teh Flyers either.

[youtube][/youtube]
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Now that makes me happy.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

From what I have seen, the Flyers have been the better team in this series...the Hawks have just been getting better goaltending.

Philly was the better team once again last night.

Chicago had spurts of pressure, but nothing sustained and they seemed to go long stretches where they didn't do much of anything.

Chicago may be up 2-1, but they are going to lose this series unless they play better than they have in the first three games.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Once again, the officiating in that game last night was horrid. You've got Pronger cross-checking Buff in the back no fewer than 4 times with no call, but as soon as Buff slashes his stick, he's off for 2 minutes. I thought this "new NHL" thing was supposed to cut down on defensive stick play in front of the net? What's more dangerous, slashing a guy's stick or cross checking him in the back multiple times? I'm not against a defenseman doing whatever he has to do in order to clear the front of the net, and props to Pronger for always getting away with it, but be consistent with the calls. Hartnell punching Versteeg in the head from behind right in front of the ref, no call.

Trust me, I hate when people blame their team's shortcomings on officiating, but this series has been terrible for bad calls and no-calls. Once again, I'm not saying that the Hawks didn't deserve their calls against, but Jesus...the things Philadelphia is getting away with are ridiculous. I wonder if a less-established player like Hjalmarsson cross-checked a Phila player 4 times in front of the net if it would have been called. A penalty is a penalty, doesn't matter if it's October or June, it needs to be called the same. I said the same things after Hawks wins, so I'm not just saying this because they lost last night.

At the end, I'm not concerned. The Flyers are supposedly "outplaying" the Hawks and still find themselves down 2 games to 1, with their win coming in OT. I look for Byfuglien to move off of the top line (with Brouwer going back on) in order to spread Philadelphia's defense thin in the next game. Andrew Ladd will most likely play on Friday, which is another weapon with grit. Not worried. They said the same thing in the Nashville and Vancouver series, and the same applies. The Blackhawks have the skill to convert nearly EVERY time the opposition makes a mistake in transition, and that's what makes them deadly.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Ruutu15 wrote:Once again, the officiating in that game last night was horrid. You've got Pronger cross-checking Buff in the back no fewer than 4 times with no call, but as soon as Buff slashes his stick, he's off for 2 minutes. I thought this "new NHL" thing was supposed to cut down on defensive stick play in front of the net? What's more dangerous, slashing a guy's stick or cross checking him in the back multiple times? I'm not against a defenseman doing whatever he has to do in order to clear the front of the net, and props to Pronger for always getting away with it, but be consistent with the calls. Hartnell punching Versteeg in the head from behind right in front of the ref, no call.

Trust me, I hate when people blame their team's shortcomings on officiating, but this series has been terrible for bad calls and no-calls. Once again, I'm not saying that the Hawks didn't deserve their calls against, but Jesus...the things Philadelphia is getting away with are ridiculous. I wonder if a less-established player like Hjalmarsson cross-checked a Phila player 4 times in front of the net if it would have been called. A penalty is a penalty, doesn't matter if it's October or June, it needs to be called the same. I said the same things after Hawks wins, so I'm not just saying this because they lost last night.

At the end, I'm not concerned. The Flyers are supposedly "outplaying" the Hawks and still find themselves down 2 games to 1, with their win coming in OT. I look for Byfuglien to move off of the top line (with Brouwer going back on) in order to spread Philadelphia's defense thin in the next game. Andrew Ladd will most likely play on Friday, which is another weapon with grit. Not worried. They said the same thing in the Nashville and Vancouver series, and the same applies. The Blackhawks have the skill to convert nearly EVERY time the opposition makes a mistake in transition, and that's what makes them deadly.
:lol:

Speaking of Butfuklin. In 3 games so far....

Goals: 0
Assists: 1
+/-: -3
SOG: 3
PIM: 4 mins

Must be the officiating. :lol:

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

northwest dave wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:Once again, the officiating in that game last night was horrid. You've got Pronger cross-checking Buff in the back no fewer than 4 times with no call, but as soon as Buff slashes his stick, he's off for 2 minutes. I thought this "new NHL" thing was supposed to cut down on defensive stick play in front of the net? What's more dangerous, slashing a guy's stick or cross checking him in the back multiple times? I'm not against a defenseman doing whatever he has to do in order to clear the front of the net, and props to Pronger for always getting away with it, but be consistent with the calls. Hartnell punching Versteeg in the head from behind right in front of the ref, no call.

:lol:

Speaking of Butfuklin. In 3 games so far....

Chicago - 2
Philadelphia - 1

Must be the officiating. :lol:
FTFY

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. This happened during the 2nd intermission last night. Ron MacLean v. Gary Bettman. For once in my life, I believe Bettman actually looked better than the one asking questions in an interview.

[youtube][/youtube]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The crosscheck you are referring to that Pronger put on Byfuglien before the penalty for slashing on Byfuglien...that is what happens in front of the net in the playoffs. It wasn't a vicious crosscheck. It was within the area of "acceptable" in front of the net in the playoffs.
Is it technically a penalty? Sure. But if those types of things are called, there would be 50 penalties a game and the playoffs would suck and people would complain about the refs calling too much stuff and not letting the players play.

The slash that broke Pronger's stick is a black and white rule. If the stick breaks and the ref sees it, it's a penalty every time. There isn't a different level of "stick break"...it's either broken or it isn't. Hard to argue that call.

No doubt the Hawks are dangerous in the quick transition game, and Philly has to watch that. But damn, Philly is outplaying Chicago in this series. If I were a Hawk fan, I would be praying that Niemi doesn't slip from "outstanding" to "very good"....because if that happens, they may lose the series.

Hartnell punching Versteeg? ...come on...Versteeg embellished that big time. On the replay it didn't look that bad at all.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Hawks won 2 close games on home ice and lost one on the road. The tables will turn when the series returns to Chicago. Flyers in 6.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

So if I'm reading this right, Pronger gets to play by 1993 clutch/grab/mug and hack rules. Got it.

Playoffs or not, the double standard is retarded. It's not about "letting the boys play", it's about calling the penalties. If someone takes a cross-checking penalty, don't blame the ref...blame the player for putting you in that situation. A penalty in October should be the same as one in game 7 of the playoffs. The situation shouldn't dictate the rulebook.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Ruutu15 wrote:So if I'm reading this right, Pronger gets to play by 1993 clutch/grab/mug and hack rules. Got it.

Playoffs or not, the double standard is retarded. It's not about "letting the boys play", it's about calling the penalties. If someone takes a cross-checking penalty, don't blame the ref...blame the player for putting you in that situation. A penalty in October should be the same as one in game 7 of the playoffs. The situation shouldn't dictate the rulebook.
You are complaining like this is something new.
It has ALWAYS been that way.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Penalty filled playoff games would be lame as hell, imo.

I think they should remain as chippy as possible and penalties should only be called in blatant cases. They should also be evened out, for the most part.

I still think power plays are bull. The net should be enlarged and players should get fouls like in basketball or soccer.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Ruutu15 wrote:I look for Byfuglien to move off of the top line (with Brouwer going back on) in order to spread Philadelphia's defense thin in the next game.
So, does Pronger still keep playing against Byfuglien or does all the hype around that match up not matter if he isn't on the top line?

Can't say I know much about Chicago's lines prior to the Finals, but how long has Byfuglien been playing with Kane and Toews? Was he put on that top line to take some of Pronger's attention away from Kane and Toews?

Pardon my ignorance, but haven't watched much hockey outside of the Blues this season and I haven't watched much playoffs this year with the end of school and all.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Ruutu15 wrote:... and props to Pronger for always getting away with it,
This must be the first playoff history every where Pronger has been "always getting away with it." With the Ducks - one of the most penalized defensemen. As a Blues player, always called any time he touched a Red Wings player, regardless of what they did to him first.

And if that crap in front of the net Pronger was doing is a penalty, let's talk about the 'Hawks d-men not getting called for doing the same thing, or the ridiculous number of times 'Hawks players have tripped Flyers with no call.

If you are going to bitch about officiating, bitch about all of it. Not just the crap that doesn't help your team. Friggin' whiny ass 'Hawks fans not looking at the whole picture.

Game 2 - The 'Hawks should have been short-handed 4 more times than they actually were. It was like a friggin' make up for Game One when they didn't call crap against Philly.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote: No doubt the Hawks are dangerous in the quick transition game, and Philly has to watch that.
While the Hawks seem super slow at line changes and the Flyers keep taking advantage of it with quicker changes. Were it not for Niemi, the Flyers could have won Game 2 on bad Hawks line changes.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

I've heard from someone that they were able to get an audio of a hockey game, without the announcers. Its just sounds from the game. Anyone know if VS has an audio setting that allows for no announcers, but just the sounds of the crowd and the game itself?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

goon attack wrote:Penalty filled playoff games would be lame as hell, imo.

I think they should remain as chippy as possible and penalties should only be called in blatant cases. They should also be evened out, for the most part.

I still think power plays are bull. The net should be enlarged and players should get fouls like in basketball or soccer.
If you're in any way suggesting that hockey should become MORE like those two pansy sports, I must respectfully disagree and say that I'm highly disappointed in you.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

glen a richter wrote:
goon attack wrote:Penalty filled playoff games would be lame as hell, imo.

If you're in any way suggesting that hockey should become MORE like those two pansy sports, I must respectfully disagree and say that I'm highly disappointed in you.
I wonder what 2 on 1 penalty shots would do for the game if they were used as awards for fouls.