Penguins host Captials in 2011 Winter Classic

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Penguins host Captials in 2011 Winter Classic

Post by Guppy »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Guppy wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Guppy wrote:There will be a second outdoor game next year but not on new years day. It will be in Calgary and they will host Montreal on Feb 20th.
BOOO!! The Winter Classic is and should be a single event. Pretty soon there are going to be 5 outdoor games a season and the whole special point of having a single outdoor game is gone.
The game in Calgary is not a "winter classic". The game is the "heritage classic" as it is not played on the "winter classic" day of Jan 1. The last heritage classic game was on Nov 22, 2003. Winter classic games did not become a regular thing (every year) until 2008
Different labels for the same thing. My fundamental point was I disagree it's good marketing for the NHL (since that's Bettman's oh-so-precious #1 concern) to have more than one outdoor game a year. I just think it cheapens it and fewer people will tune in if it becomes a "regular" thing during the season. My $.02

edit: And Happy Memorial Day and thank you for your service to our country!

I was just making it clear the difference ;)

Thanks, but I am not dead yet. Memorial Day is for the servicemembers that have died.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Penguins host Captials in 2011 Winter Classic

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Guppy wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Guppy wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Guppy wrote:There will be a second outdoor game next year but not on new years day. It will be in Calgary and they will host Montreal on Feb 20th.
BOOO!! The Winter Classic is and should be a single event. Pretty soon there are going to be 5 outdoor games a season and the whole special point of having a single outdoor game is gone.
The game in Calgary is not a "winter classic". The game is the "heritage classic" as it is not played on the "winter classic" day of Jan 1. The last heritage classic game was on Nov 22, 2003. Winter classic games did not become a regular thing (every year) until 2008
Different labels for the same thing. My fundamental point was I disagree it's good marketing for the NHL (since that's Bettman's oh-so-precious #1 concern) to have more than one outdoor game a year. I just think it cheapens it and fewer people will tune in if it becomes a "regular" thing during the season. My $.02

edit: And Happy Memorial Day and thank you for your service to our country!

I was just making it clear the difference ;)

Thanks, but I am not dead yet. Memorial Day is for the servicemembers that have died.
I know :)

It was more of a general "thanks" than a "this day is for you" kinda thing :lol:

And unfortunately, I'm sure the odds aren't terrible that you knew someone who that day IS for.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk