High Sticking Non-Calls in Finals Game 5

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

High Sticking Non-Calls in Finals Game 5

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

Am I the ONLY one noticing how many players are beating up stick blades with their eyes and other sensitive facial parts??

I know the NHL is wanting to crack down on the head shots using the shoulders, but the stickwork is getting crazy!

:facepalm:
Mark P

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: High Sticking Non-Calls in Finals Game 5

Post by theohall »

#1ELPBluzFan wrote:Am I the ONLY one noticing how many players are beating up stick blades with their eyes and other sensitive facial parts??

I know the NHL is wanting to crack down on the head shots using the shoulders, but the stickwork is getting crazy!

:facepalm:
No kidding. There were at least 5 high sticks resulting in cuts to the face that weren't called in Game 5. The other seriously blown call... Seabrook catches and holds the puck before throwing it while in the crease. Should have been a penalty shot.
NHL Rule 63.5 wrote:No defending player... will be permitted to ...hold the puck ... when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team, but no other penalty shall be given. The rule shall be interpreted so that a penalty shot will be awarded only when the puck is in the crease at the instant the offense occurs. However, in cases where the puck is outside the crease, Rule 63 may still apply and a minor penalty may be imposed, even though no penalty shot is awarded. The significant factor when determining whether or not a penalty shot is warranted is the location of the puck at the time it was held, grabbed or gathered into the body. If the puck is in the crease, penalty shot. If the puck is outside the crease and gathered into the body of a player (other than the goalkeeper) who is inside the crease, minor penalty). See also Rule 67 – Handling Puck.
The only way I'm thinking it wasn't is using the last line of the rule, but Seabrook was in the crease. He caught and held the puck while in the crease. Then threw the puck out of the crease. IMO - should have been a penalty shot.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

The officiating in this series has been a joke. I said that last week and got blasted. It's been terrible for both teams.

High sticks are not being called, and neither is hooking, slashing, and cross-checking if you have an orange #20 on your jersey.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Ruutu15 wrote:The officiating in this series has been a joke. I said that last week and got blasted. It's been terrible for both teams.

High sticks are not being called, and neither is hooking, slashing, and cross-checking if you have an orange #20 on your jersey.
And that's why you get blasted. The hooking call on Pronger was weak, just terrible.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Ruutu15 wrote:The officiating in this series has been a joke. I said that last week and got blasted. It's been terrible for both teams.

Like I said before... in the playoffs, if you are looking for the officials to stick to the rulebook on how penalties should be called, you're going to be sorely disappointed. This is nothing new...ESPECIALLY when you're talking about the play in front of the net.

You don't have to like it...but don't act surprised about it. That's the way it has always been, and it's not going to change.

Now, the high sticks should have be called. That's not something that ever gets let go. They just missed the calls...especially the stick Briere took to the face...that was nasty.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

cprice12 wrote:

Like I said before... in the playoffs, if you are looking for the officials to stick to the rulebook on how penalties should be called, you're going to be sorely disappointed. This is nothing new...ESPECIALLY when you're talking about the play in front of the net.

You don't have to like it...but don't act surprised about it. That's the way it has always been, and it's not going to change.

Now, the high sticks should have be called. That's not something that ever gets let go. They just missed the calls...especially the stick Briere took to the face...that was nasty.
Yeah, the Keith stick on Briere should have been called, no question. That's dangerous, and you'll get no argument from me.

As for Pronger, I'm not even referring to the play in front of the net. I like that sort of nastiness from ddefensemen when it comes to clearing the crease, and I always think that should be allowed. With him, I'm referring to the other 20 times per game he uses stickwork on anyone who comes near him. How many times is this guy going to get away with hack & slash and cross checks out by the blueline or in the open ice? THAT sort of thing should be called.

The other thing I think is hilarious is that all season our supposed weak link was goaltending. In the San Jose series, it was "If it weren't for Niemi", or "The Sharks could easily be up 3-0 in the series"...yeah, well they took that all the way to a sweep of the series. It's goaltending, but it's also an explosiveness and ability to capitalize on mistakes. Q finally got the lines right and Philadelphia was exploited in game 5. The thing about the Blackhawks this season is that they might look a little outplayed for 5 minutes, and then come right down the ice and score. It demoralizes teams.

Finally, after all the talk of Byfuglien being afraid of Pronger...he looked afraid when he made Pronger his punk twice in the corner last night.

"A bouce here, a bounce there"..."they're lucky". Well, they've been "lucky" all season, because that's exactly what people have said since October. I'll take it.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It's been a way better series than I ever would have anticipated.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Game six will be the remake of the Highland shows.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.