Chicago Trades Versteeg To Toronto

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Chicago Trades Versteeg To Toronto

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/n ... id=5344689

Was going to put in the Byfuglien trade but thought this one deserved it's own.
The party is definitely over.

Faced with serious salary cap issues, the Chicago Blackhawks traded away another contributor to the Stanley Cup title team, shipping Kris Versteeg to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday.

The Leafs also received forward Bill Sweatt for forwards Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis.

Versteeg, 24, had 20 goals and 24 assists in 79 regular-season games for Chicago. He had six goals and eight assists in the playoffs.

Versteeg completed his third season in the league, all with Chicago.

He signed a three-year, $9.25 million contract with the Hawks last summer. Cap concerns already forced Chicago to unload playoff hero Dustin Byfuglien in a deal with Atlanta this offseason.

Stars Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith have new long-term deals to go with the huge contract Marian Hossa signed before last season.

Cup winning goalie Antti Niemi needs a new contract and will likely receive a hefty raise.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Chicago Trades Versteeg To Toronto

Post by fargoblues »

Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

(Frank) the salary cap, and the only team in the Central that can still touch us is Detroit.

Hate to see Versteeg go, but only because I hate to see this cast broken up. I was always kinda lukewarm on Versteeg...way too many turnovers, and he makes 47 dekes before finally shooting the puck (18 feet wide). With that said, it's definitely going to hurt. That's two weapons we've lost, in addition to Sopel.

If I can be bitter for a second, what a joke the salary cap is. The floor is now higher than the ceiling was when the cap was introduced, and the so-called "struggling" teams in Alberta even said that it was too high back then. It's life, and I'm lucky the Hawks finally won one, but it really pisses me off that Detroit absolutely dominated the league for the better part of 20 years with a ton of homegrown talent, under no salary cap restrictions. As soon as their decade(s) long run ends and my team finally moves forward, it's forced to break into pieces after one solid run. I don't want to hear another person bitch about Phoenix. Looking at you, Calgary and Edmonton.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

The one fundamental point you are missing Ruutu... the Hawks have won the cup and the rest of the league has not. Not that that would change the overall taking place right now but it still puts it in perspective for you. You are in possession of the Stanley Cup. Cry me a river. Not to be mean. Cause you are a solid guy. Just saying.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Ruutu15 wrote:(Frank) the salary cap, and the only team in the Central that can still touch us is Detroit.

Hate to see Versteeg go, but only because I hate to see this cast broken up. I was always kinda lukewarm on Versteeg...way too many turnovers, and he makes 47 dekes before finally shooting the puck (18 feet wide). With that said, it's definitely going to hurt. That's two weapons we've lost, in addition to Sopel.

If I can be bitter for a second, what a joke the salary cap is. The floor is now higher than the ceiling was when the cap was introduced, and the so-called "struggling" teams in Alberta even said that it was too high back then. It's life, and I'm lucky the Hawks finally won one, but it really pisses me off that Detroit absolutely dominated the league for the better part of 20 years with a ton of homegrown talent, under no salary cap restrictions. As soon as their decade(s) long run ends and my team finally moves forward, it's forced to break into pieces after one solid run. I don't want to hear another person bitch about Phoenix. Looking at you, Calgary and Edmonton.
They also got themselves in to this position by committing to such big numbers to so many guys. The Hossa and Campbell deals absolutely handcuff the team financially for the next 5 years. You're lucky that you're able to fit both Kane and Toews on the same team w/the other two. Not to mention you still have to worry about offer sheets for Niemi and the problem of what to do with Huet's big contract!

It's kinda funny how the 'Hawks are doing their best Florida Marlins impression. It should be a lesson to the Blues front office. You might win a cup but you're screwing yourself financially if you deviate too much from the whole "build from within" philosphy.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

Ruutu15 wrote:(Frank) the salary cap, and the only team in the Central that can still touch us is Detroit.

It's not your homegrown talent causing you salary cap problems, it the big dollar deals you made with Huet, Campbell, and Hossa. Don't blame the salary cap for your team's piss-poor cap management.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote:

It's not your homegrown talent causing you salary cap problems, it the big dollar deals you made with Huet, Campbell, and Hossa. Don't blame the salary cap for your team's piss-poor cap management.

Hossa isn't exactly a big money deal, especially given the return. His cap hit is not that bad.

Huet will be sent to Rockford or Europe. He's coming off the books.

Campbell was a retarded signing from day 1. You can search and see what I said on the day he was signed, I've always said that.

I really don't care if someone gives Niemi an offer sheet.

Toews and Kane's Cup bonuses add another ~3 million to the cap problem.

The Blackhawks now have a ton of picks in the first two rounds next season. They're going to be fine, this coming year and beyond. And if they aren't, I'm fine with being the only person left on the wagon.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »