Anyone else not really that geeked up anymore?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Anyone else not really that geeked up anymore?

Post by Winning Unlimited »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:Who's the top prospect in 2011?
Gordon Bombay
The only way we draft him is if they widen the net. Say, a quarter of an inch?

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Winning Unlimited wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Gordon Bombay

:lol:
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Leedog wrote:So, I guess you are saying the Dave Taylor signing isn't making your Geek Flag Fly.

I think everyone should be a little more excited about this. I can't say I know a ton about the guy, but from what I have read today he seems to be a pretty good addition to the front office. Yeah, it isn't a player or someone who can help us on the ice, but we can't get the guys we need on the ice without a solid front office. I think this is a good acquisition and makes our front office even better than before. Pleau's gone and so is Jarmo, Armstrong is here and has impressed me personally so far, and having his right hand man Taylor can only improve the front office. Can't win a Stanley Cup without a great front office, we are turning the page on the Pleau area and entering a somewhat new regime, I am really pumped to say the least.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

jaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jaro »

Gee. I think the title of this may have been a shot at me. Nah. Couldn't be. Shhhhhhhh! I am going to whisper this so maybe ViPeR is won't hear me! I am giddier now than if we had signed Kovy or trade a for Speeza. As I said in earlier post we are not ready for a legitimate Cup run. Why tie up crazy money in Kovy and then handcuff ourselves for the next 2-3 years? Instant gratification? Yipee. We have a ppg forward and went clear to the 2nd round before we lost? We have core rfa's needing to be signed, particularly next year and the year after. Same with major trade for stud (Speeza). Why piss away prime young affordable talent you would have to surrender in such a trade when we aren't ready for taking our best shot? Am i sure the rfa's I'm talking about are prime? Hell no. But I know we'll have a much clearer picture at the end of this season about that. Look. I'm not anti-improve us this year, and I think we have made some progress and will do more before it's over, but going all in this year is a bad move right now.
USA/NRA

Official sponsor of Steve Durbano

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

jaro wrote:Gee. I think the title of this may have been a shot at me. Nah. Couldn't be. Shhhhhhhh! I am going to whisper this so maybe ViPeR is won't hear me! I am giddier now than if we had signed Kovy or trade a for Speeza. As I said in earlier post we are not ready for a legitimate Cup run. Why tie up crazy money in Kovy and then handcuff ourselves for the next 2-3 years? Instant gratification? Yipee. We have a ppg forward and went clear to the 2nd round before we lost? We have core rfa's needing to be signed, particularly next year and the year after. Same with major trade for stud (Speeza). Why piss away prime young affordable talent you would have to surrender in such a trade when we aren't ready for taking our best shot? Am i sure the rfa's I'm talking about are prime? Hell no. But I know we'll have a much clearer picture at the end of this season about that. Look. I'm not anti-improve us this year, and I think we have made some progress and will do more before it's over, but going all in this year is a bad move right now.

:lol: I don't want to start off on the wrong foot here, it truly wasn't a shot at you. I just wanted to start a "postgame" thread to gauge the general demeanor of the board after the anticipation has worn off some; it seemed logical to play off of your thread is all. I agree with you that it's not worth spending the world on Kovy. The guys up top were probably saying he wasn't the right player for the very reason you mentioned. I think we COULD afford him though, if he isn't asking for the $12 mil/per or whatever, and still be able to keep a majority of the core together if they could get rid of a certain defenseman or two who are eating up big chunks of salary space. Players like Kovalchuk don't come along very often so it's tough to just sit on your hands when it seems like we're so close.

But alas, this is probably just my hopeless optimism kicking in, hoping that THIS is the season.....or the one after that....
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

jaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jaro »

V[PeR, first no worries , Mate. I really thought is was good natured ribbing. That was the reason for the shhh don't wake ViPeR line. I actually agree a lot with what you have to say about Kovy. He is that rare talent and best of all wouldn't cost human assets. Just cash. But much more knowledgeable fans than I am, almost universally agree that we can't dump Brewer without replacing him with similar experience because of the probable youth of our D this season. You and I both watched the kids make some kids like errors and with Petro back there this year too and no "old pro" to cover for some of those rookie mistakes, I don't think Jaro with a tarp behind him would be enough. Problem as I see it is who would you replace Brew with who doesn't cost as much or nearly so? Brewer makes me nuts but he ain't a pylon on most nights. I think for substantially less money, you get a pylon every night playing the role of #2 D pairing if you are looking to go cheap to sigh Kovy. I hope like hell we resign Weavs but he isn't stupid and has said he wants to get paid like a D that performed as he did last year. Even so, we need him badly IMO. Jax will also screw up at least once a game but he is being asked to be the #1 pairing and he isn't a #1 guy. In the #2 or #3 role where he belongs, he is a plus for us, {according to me}.

Hell I don't know. I just want the puck to drop and watch hockey. By the way, you amy ahve weighed in on this in an earlier threaqd and I missed it, but where do you stand...Janssen or King? Me, king. No question.
USA/NRA

Official sponsor of Steve Durbano

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

section319 wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Gordon Bombay

:lol:
I heard that even though the guy has one heckuva triple deke, he's injury prone. Scouts say that he's taken one too many shots to the knees.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Winning Unlimited wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Gordon Bombay
But then how is he supposed to win practice times for his team against Wolf "The Dentist" Stanson?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Gordon Bombay
But then how is he supposed to win practice times for his team against Wolf "The Dentist" Stanson?
That guy is a dentist?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Gordon Bombay
That guy is a dentist?
Kovalchuk had 7 rotten teeth that needed to be pulled when he came to play for the Thrashers. Sounds like a line mate. GIT HEM DUGGGGGG!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Gordon Bombay
That guy is a dentist?
I heard they ran him out of the league AND the country...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk