Tarasenko extends his KHL contract

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Tarasenko extends his KHL contract

Post by Robb_K »

I just read the translation of a Russian news article that states that Tarasenko extended his contract with Sibir. Unfortunately, neither terms nor the number of years were given. It was confirmed by a couple of Russian posters on HF Boards.

I wonder if the buyout clause for the second year of his KHL contract (NEXT season) was affected? That will be crucial. In addition, I wonder if the added years will preclude him from coming to The NHL before the full contract is concluded?

My guess is that nothing has changed regarding when he CAN come to North America, and the extension was just recommended by his father (and new coach), to ensure that he'd be playing for Sibir, and not any other KHL team, should he decide not to come to The NHL so early in his career.

But, nevertheless, it doesn't give me a good feeling. With a KHL contract already in place for a couple of years after he COULD decide to try out for The Blues, it will be a lot easier for him to decide to stay in Russia, IF he's on the fence. Also, it may well allow him to decide to only play for The Blues, and not for Peoria, should he not make the team out of camp.

I guess we have to hope he meant what he said when he stated: "I want to play in The NHL as soon as possible." It will also be easier for him to "change his mind" about that now.

I look forward to reading more details about this. I was counting on him playing for The Blues next season.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Tarasenko extends his KHL contract

Post by Robb_K »

Here is the translated Text:

Vladimir Tarasenko extend the contract with Sibir
18-year-old striker Vladimir Tarasenko in the next few days will extend its agreement with the Novosibirsk club. Terms of the contract already negotiated in good faith with the leadership team, and now a forward left his signature, according to Sport-Express.
Last season, Tarasenko played in 42 games for the "Siberia", by dialing 24 (13 +11) points. Detailed statistics you can see here.
Recall that the young forward was selected in the 2010 NBA Draft by the St. Louis "in the first round of the 16-th number, although preddraftovom International rating agency skautingovogo Tarasenko had been on the 4 th.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I believe the correct translation goes like this:

"Tarasenko, drafted by the incompetent Blues, stated that while he was initially excited about the prospect of playing in the NHL, he has come to the realization that he was drafted by a bunch of cheap morons who have no interest in icing a competitive team, ever. He said that, while he respects the Blues fans for the suffering they've had to live with, he would "rather not play to half empty arenas" all the time while the management gets their crap in order. Said Tarasenko, when asked if he thought the Blues could ever succeed with the present management in place: "Nyet!"."
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:I believe the correct translation goes like this:

"Tarasenko, drafted by the incompetent Blues, stated that while he was initially excited about the prospect of playing in the NHL, he has come to the realization that he was drafted by a bunch of cheap morons who have no interest in icing a competitive team, ever. He said that, while he respects the Blues fans for the suffering they've had to live with, he would "rather not play to half empty arenas" all the time while the management gets their crap in order. Said Tarasenko, when asked if he thought the Blues could ever succeed with the present management in place: "Nyet!"."

HOF :plusplus: :lol:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

If this guy was the second coming, as advertised, why did he fall to the Blues? And, why did they take someone higher than him?
This.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Leedog wrote:If this guy was the second coming, as advertised, why did he fall to the Blues? And, why did they take someone higher than him?
This.
Yea I was thinking the same thing, especially about the Blues picking TEH SCHWARTZ first.

Obviously, every team has their "wants" list and from what I've been hearing, the two were neck and neck. The Blues probably picked Tarasenko later because of the Russian factor, which also answers your first question.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

glen a richter wrote:I believe the correct translation goes like this:

:plusplus: Couldn't agree more.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="glen a richter"]I believe the correct translation goes like this:

"Tarasenko, drafted by the incompetent Blues, stated that while he was initially excited about the prospect of playing in the NHL, he has come to the realization that he was drafted by a bunch of cheap morons who have no interest in icing a competitive team, ever. He said that, while he respects the Blues fans for the suffering they've had to live with, he would "rather not play to half empty arenas" all the time while the management gets their crap in order. Said Tarasenko, when asked if he thought the Blues could ever succeed with the present management in place: "Nyet!"."[/quote]

Ha! Ha! Touché!

Actually, Jeremy Rutheford just posted this, to ease our troubled minds:

jprutherford @OpenIceHit6 Nothing official but word is Tarasenko may be siging 1-yr contract with KHL team, replacing his current 2-yr deal.

I'm feeling a little better now. I'll feel a lot better when he arrives in St. Louis, and the 2011-12 season starts with him on the ice in a Blues' uniform.

BSNoseblunt
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by BSNoseblunt »

Dollar Dave was the trigger man on drafting Tarasenko. He knew Tarasenko would never sign in St. Louis and it would save him some coin. Talented draft picks and free agents cost too much money! Why construct a winning team when you can sign players like Dean Arsene and still raise season ticket prices?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Get Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and even Gonchar....he won't resist coming here...the perfect plan.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

BSNoseblunt wrote:Dollar Dave was the trigger man on drafting Tarasenko. He knew Tarasenko would never sign in St. Louis and it would save him some coin. Talented draft picks and free agents cost too much money! Why construct a winning team when you can sign players like Dean Arsene and still raise season ticket prices?
Dean Arsene is the shit. I'd gladly pay any amount to see him play.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

JR via Twitter wrote: Nothing official but word is Tarasenko may be signing a 1-yr contract with KHL team, replacing current 2-yr deal
Now a lot of details get lost in translation, especially when it's coming from the Russian media. So I wouldn't take any translated websites verbatim. It seems far more likely that JR's tweet is the truth considering how much Tarasenko was non-commital about playing in the KHL just a few weeks ago. I'm sure he either re-negotiated his buyout clause or just took the 2nd year off the deal so he could come to NA next year.

So everyone just get their panties out a bunch and relax.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

I could see how he could stay with Sibir for another year or two after being influenced by the coach, a.k.a. his dad.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

BSNoseblunt wrote:Dollar Dave was the trigger man on drafting Tarasenko. He knew Tarasenko would never sign in St. Louis and it would save him some coin. Talented draft picks and free agents cost too much money! Why construct a winning team when you can sign players like Dean Arsene and still raise season ticket prices?
Yeah, I really hope this was typed with tongue firmly in cheek. This is the same guy who opened his pocket book to sign Paul Kariya at 6 mil a year, Jay McKee at 4 a year, same for Brewer and Jackman. Not his fault his hockey people missed on all of those deals. It's not like the guy didn't earn some goodwill by selling tickets at an insanely low rate his first few years in the owner's box and still found room to open his check book to at least attempt to bring this franchise back to responsibility. I mean, fer crying out loud, the Blues have one (mostly) quiet summer and it's the end of the fackin' world. I'm not sure how you can't help but look at Chicago right now and see how that's a bad business model. Yeah, their young talent is a bit better and more developed than ours, but they just had to unload a ton of great players within a few months of winning the Cup because they threw money at every free agent that was breathing for awhile. There's a plan in place, let's see it carried out first before we blame Dave for conspiring to draft people who will never show up.

And also, has it ever occurred that prices may be rising because as we move to the next 'phase' of the team building plan, they may try to start spending on free agents in the near future? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Alright, rant el fin.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

BSNoseblunt
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by BSNoseblunt »

Haha. You were serious.

However, why is that the blues have over $12 million in cap space? Some teams would kill to be able to spend $12 million over the cap! Dave Checketts is a business man, that's why he owns a number of sports teams if you haven't noticed - not just the Blues. He's all about making money now.

Sure, he threw out some cash to sign a number of essentially worthless players but those are called sunk costs. You keep on waiting for our "talented youth" to develop. I'll continue to question if anyone is ever going to commit to making this a championship-caliber team .

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="strocklen083"][quote="JR via Twitter"]
Nothing official but word is Tarasenko may be signing a 1-yr contract with KHL team, replacing current 2-yr deal[/quote]
Now a lot of details get lost in translation, especially when it's coming from the Russian media. So I wouldn't take any translated websites verbatim. It seems far more likely that JR's tweet is the truth considering how much Tarasenko was non-commital about playing in the KHL just a few weeks ago. I'm sure he either re-negotiated his buyout clause or just took the 2nd year off the deal so he could come to NA next year.

So everyone just get their panties out a bunch and relax.[/quote]

The rumour is exactly this. Although the RUSSIAN wording (not translation) used ready to sign an "extension", Russian hockey writers feel that that a news reporter got that wrong, and it is a "restructuring" of Tarasenko's 2-year contract down to one year (only this coming season), reflecting the net effect of subtracting out his buyout cost (2/3 of his contract 2011-12 salary). Then, he will be able to come to St. Louis immediately after his 2010-11 season with Sibir ends. I feel better having heard that from Jeremy Rutheford AND a few Russian writers who post on HF Boards. But, I'll feel better when I hear the official confirmation.
Last edited by Robb_K on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

MUBLUES
Prospect
Prospect

Post by MUBLUES »

BSNoseblunt wrote:Haha. You were serious.

However, why is that the blues have over $12 million in cap space? Some teams would kill to be able to spend $12 million over the cap! Dave Checketts is a business man, that's why he owns a number of sports teams if you haven't noticed - not just the Blues. He's all about making money now.

Sure, he threw out some cash to sign a number of essentially worthless players but those are called sunk costs. You keep on waiting for our "talented youth" to develop. I'll continue to question if anyone is ever going to commit to making this a championship-caliber team .
$12 million cap space right now = re-signing guys like Backes, Oshie, and even EJ and Perron in 2 years. Talented and developing youth costs money too.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

That is after Brewer, Jackman, etc are off the books.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Leedog wrote:That is after Brewer, Jackman, etc are off the books.
Ah that time can not come soon enough.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.