Which young Blue is ready to step up?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Which young Blue is ready to step up?

Post by Portland Blues »

ohio BLUES wrote:I think our young padawan organist Jeremy is bound to bring his game to a new level this year. Playoffs, here we come!
I've been hearing good things about Jeremy. I too think this will be his breakout year.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Trending up: RW Brad Boyes

Boyes averaged 38 goals and 13.1 GVT in 2007-08 and 2008-09, then dropped to just 14 goals and 5.1 GVT in 2009-10. His shooting percentage dropped from 20.8 percent to 15.0 percent to 7.1 percent last season; despite improving defensively, his ice time dropped two minutes per game, and most of that was valuable power-play time.

Boyes likely will play on the Blues' top line with Andy McDonald and David Perron, so it makes sense to predict that he will bounce back over 30 goals, especially because he has missed only one game in his NHL career. There could be a wave of offense flowing out of St. Louis starting this season, and Boyes has the opportunity to be at the head of it.

Trending down: G Jaroslav Halak

Given the 18th-best GVT in the league and his tremendous postseason performance, you might be scratching your head as to why the VUKOTA system would predict a decline for the league's hottest young goalie. Ask yourself this: If Halak is so good, why did the Habs keep Carey Price and give up the Slovakian netminder for a couple of St. Louis' average prospects?

Free of Price, Halak may expect bags of ice time in a Blues uniform, but he'll have to pry every minute away from veteran Alaskan Ty Conklin, who quietly earned a save percentage only three points lower. Given that Halak totaled just 15.2 GVT in the previous three seasons combined, we wonder whether the extra playing time will yield better results or just expose him. He's a solid goalie, but don't build him a shelf for the Vezina just yet. -- Vollman

E.J.'s name to know: D Alex Pietrangelo

The 2008 draft was heavy on high-end defensive prospects: Drew Doughty and Tyler Myers, selected second and 12th, respectively, already have made their mark at the NHL level.

In St. Louis, they're wondering whether this will be the season when Pietrangelo can take the next step. The Blues grabbed the 6-foot-3, 206-pound defender with the fourth overall pick in that '08 class.

Pietrangelo made the team out of training camp at age 18 but had a setback when he suffered a head injury as a result of a cheap shot by then-Leafs forward Ryan Hollweg during an early-season game. He returned to action but played in just eight games before being sent back to the OHL.

In fall 2009, Pietrangelo again started the season in St. Louis, but he quickly fell out of favor with then-coach Andy Murray, playing in just nine games.

Pietrangelo didn't let that get him down. He earned a spot on Canada's World Junior Championship team. In a silver-medal-winning effort, he was named the tournament's top defender and earned a spot on the all-tourney team. From there, Pietrangelo went to Barrie (which had acquired his rights via trade from Niagara) and again performed well, posting 29 points in 25 games. He contributed 14 more points in 17 playoff games.

When the Colts were eliminated from the OHL playoffs, Pietrangelo was summoned to join Peoria for some AHL postseason action. He chipped in three assists in seven games.

Now, Pietrangelo does seem poised to take that next step under young head coach Davis Payne. With size, skill and smarts, he should be ready for full-time duty in the NHL. In fact, more than a few see him as a preseason contender for the Calder Trophy. -- Hradek
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

stlbluz wrote:Now, Pietrangelo does seem poised to take that next step under young head coach Davis Payne. With size, skill and smarts, he should be ready for full-time duty in the NHL. In fact, more than a few see him as a preseason contender for the Calder Trophy. -- Hradek
Read somewhere Pietrangelo is no longer considered a rookie. So no Calder contention. Any way do we want another Jackman?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

ReelBluesFan887
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by ReelBluesFan887 »

Portland Blues wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:I think our young padawan organist Jeremy is bound to bring his game to a new level this year. Playoffs, here we come!
I've been hearing good things about Jeremy. I too think this will be his breakout year.
I heard he spoke in class today
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

ReelBluesFan887 wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:
I heard he spoke in class today
You may have just unleashed a lion...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

philco_3 wrote:
stlbluz wrote:Now, Pietrangelo does seem poised to take that next step under young head coach Davis Payne. With size, skill and smarts, he should be ready for full-time duty in the NHL. In fact, more than a few see him as a preseason contender for the Calder Trophy. -- Hradek
Read somewhere Pietrangelo is no longer considered a rookie. So no Calder contention. Any way do we want another Jackman?
I heard the same thing. Petro isn't eligible for the Calder. Hradek needs to check his facts there.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/