NHL changes shootout tie-breaker rules

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

NHL changes shootout tie-breaker rules

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333792
The NHL has decided that when it comes to breaking ties in the standings, not all wins will be considered equal.

The league's Board of Governors approved a change on Tuesday that will see shootout victories excluded from win totals when a tie-breaker takes place between clubs who are tied in points at the end of the season.

Previously, total victories - including shootout wins - were counted in a tie-breaker situation.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed that the rule change was not a step toward the league eliminating shootouts, which were introduced for the 2005-06 season.

Last year, the Phoenix Coyotes led the league with 14 shootout wins, followed by the Bruins and Kings with 10 each. The Columbus Blue Jackets had the fewest, with two.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: NHL changes shootout tie-breaker rules

Post by dmiles2186 »

I like this idea. Make it more important to win when there are actually 5 to a side (plus a goalie each) on the ice instead of 1 goalie, 1 shooter. Maybe it will make the 5 minutes of OT a bit mre exciting with teams trying to get as many wins as possible prior to the shootout.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

This is good for the NHL!

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

A step in the right direction.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

Mrdcblue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Mrdcblue »

...The league's Board of Governors approved a change on Tuesday that will see shootout victories excluded from win totals when a tie-breaker takes place between clubs who are tied in points at the end of the season.

...Last year, the Phoenix Coyotes led the league with 14 shootout wins, followed by the Bruins and Kings with 10 each. The Columbus Blue Jackets had the fewest, with two.
But lets say the Coyotes won the 14 wins that occured in shootouts this next season. The wins still count as 14 in the standings unless they tie with Dallas, or who ever. So would the goal to be to tie a team in the standings to break down their record wins?

My thought would be to eliminate the automatic point for making it to the overtime period. If you win in the regulation OT peried, then you get two point, otherwise you get one point for winning in Shootouts. It could be a seperate column on the standings sheet.

You would still get your excitement of overtime because teams will go for that extra point in overtime. You'll still get the excitement of shootouts for a last ditch effort for one point. Also, the NHL will get the point across that Shootout wins are less than regular wins.

ok just my two cents!

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Mrdcblue wrote:
...The league's Board of Governors approved a change on Tuesday that will see shootout victories excluded from win totals when a tie-breaker takes place between clubs who are tied in points at the end of the season.

...Last year, the Phoenix Coyotes led the league with 14 shootout wins, followed by the Bruins and Kings with 10 each. The Columbus Blue Jackets had the fewest, with two.
But lets say the Coyotes won the 14 wins that occured in shootouts this next season. The wins still count as 14 in the standings unless they tie with Dallas, or who ever. So would the goal to be to tie a team in the standings to break down their record wins?

My thought would be to eliminate the automatic point for making it to the overtime period. If you win in the regulation OT peried, then you get two point, otherwise you get one point for winning in Shootouts. It could be a seperate column on the standings sheet.

You would still get your excitement of overtime because teams will go for that extra point in overtime. You'll still get the excitement of shootouts for a last ditch effort for one point. Also, the NHL will get the point across that Shootout wins are less than regular wins.

ok just my two cents!
I like this idea. Teams are not automatically going to "not play for the Point". OT and shootouts still contribute to the point total, so the more points your score the better your chances of post season play are. Teams are not going to go balls out and risk not getting the points just because they want to be able to have a tie breaker.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WOW, the league actually got something right.

I'm not sure teams will concern themselves too greatly with the difference early in the year, but they will wish they had if they are in the running late in the season, and it should (in theory) reward the 'better' teams.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

The Blues are going to miss the playoffs this year because of this rule. I'm calling it now.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:The Blues are going to miss the playoffs this year because of this rule. I'm calling it now.
If we're close enough for it to make a difference, I'll be shocked (and satisfied).

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

kodos wrote:The Blues are going to miss the playoffs this year because of this rule. I'm calling it now.
:lol:

BTW - Nice post/idea Mrdcblue.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

That would mean the blues would have to actually win games in a shootout...lol but yeah we never win in overtime.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Mrdcblue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Mrdcblue »

stlbluz wrote:
:lol:

BTW - Nice post/idea Mrdcblue.

thank you! :)