Breaking new: Strickland is an idiot

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Breaking new: Strickland is an idiot

Post by DaDitka »

from his 'TrueHockey' blog...
Jackman Truly a Man in Charge

Barret Jackman has seen some pretty good leaders come and go in his day as a St. Louis Blue. From the quieter players like Jeff Finley, Dan Hinote and Shjon Podein, to the obvious one’s such as Pronger, MacInnis, Mellanby, Young, Demitra, Weight, Guerin, Drake, and Tkachuk. Jackman is one of the few players remaining that truly brings an old school approach to the game. The game today is different than when he entered the league. No longer is it a clutch and grab, grind it out style of game. The NHL today is faster than ever yet Jackman has adjusted and continues to play an in your face brand of hockey. He’ll still get in his shot to the ribs and a slashes to the back of the legs as he knows he has to play that way to be effective. This season he’ll need to free up space for Johnson who will be encouraged to jump around forechecker’s and attack up ice. He doesn’t need to be dropping the gloves every night but taking it upon himself to be a leader on and off the ice has never been needed more. The dressing room is pretty much his. This year maybe more than ever will truly define what kind of leader Jackman is.

I guess Andy has been busy watching tapes of Jackman 5 years ago instead of anything in the last couple seasons.

Either that, or he's just trying to get on his good side so Barret will sign his jersey.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Breaking new: Strickland is an idiot

Post by dmiles2186 »

But wait, there's more to come....

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Strickland=Kerber in stupidity and boot licking. That is all. :facepalm:

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Strickland and "true hockey" should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Sounds like nothing more than a fluff piece to appeal to the organization.

Stuff like this ruins credibility. But then again, you have to have cred before you can ruin it. So I guess Strickland is in no danger of ruining his.

The truth is, over the past couple seasons, Jackman, at his best...has been up and down.
Missed assignments, poor passes, failure to hustle back into the zone and pickup a man, poor clearing attempts, etc.
He may look good for a coule games, but then he'll have a poor stretch.

I really, really want to like Jackman...but his inconsistent play is frustrating.
His bad shoulder prohibits him from playing the style he probably wants to, but that doesn't excuse goofball mistakes and missed assignments around the goal.

With that said, I'd still rather have Jackman than Brewer.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

thedoc wrote:Strickland=Kerber in stupidity and boot licking. That is all. :facepalm:
I disagree.
Kerber is ten times the analyst that Strickland is.
Kerber has that genuine common sense-every day fan feel going for him...which I appreciate. He doesn't come off as a cocky know-it-all like some people.

Obviously he's not going to go over the top and rant/rave/complain about a certain player's play during the game, that's career suicide...but on his radio shows and whatnot, he's been sufficiently critical of certain players and for the way the team has played at times.

I think he calls them as he sees them...or at least as much as can be expected given his position within the organization.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

I'll say it once and say it again - Strickland is a giant sell-out who just wants the Blues players and management to like him. Obviously it works for him; he was doing the post-game stuff for stlouisblues.com a lot a few seasons ago (I don't know if he still is, I try to stay away from reading his stuff or even seeing him). He can rant about how Brewer is a number one defenseman and how Jackman is tough as nails, doesn't bother me. I'm not reading it.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:
thedoc wrote:Strickland=Kerber in stupidity and boot licking. That is all. :facepalm:
I disagree.
Kerber has that genuine common sense-every day fan feel going for him...which I appreciate. He doesn't come off as a cocky know-it-all like some people.

Obviously he's not going to go over the top and rant/rave/complain about a certain player's play during the game, that's career suicide...but on his radio shows and whatnot, he's been sufficiently critical of certain players and for the way the team has played at times.

I think he calls them as he sees them...or at least as much as can be expected given his position within the organization.

I enjoy his call of the game, but on his post game show...

Sure, he had a personal vendetta against Burglund (deserved) but he bashed and hung up on anyone who dare question Jackman.

and it's not necessarily the way he treats the players publicly, it's the way he treats any fans who see it differently then him. Even his post game partner has been exasperated with it at times and taken 'small' jabs while waiting for Kerb's to get there or after he leaves.

Don't get me wrong, I don't envy him at all with having to take so many stupid calls. I just wish he wouldn't write off anyone who disagrees as stupid.

you want stupid.....

In a conversation last year in re guards to Jackman giving up on plays and loafing when the play is by him or on the other side of the ice, Kerb's stated AND I QUOTE...."I don't know anything about that. I watch the puck".

Then don't bash those that watch the whole game.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
I disagree.

I enjoy his call of the game, but on his post game show...

Sure, he had a personal vendetta against Burglund (deserved) but he bashed and hung up on anyone who dare question Jackman.

and it's not necessarily the way he treats the players publicly, it's the way he treats any fans who see it differently then him. Even his post game partner has been exasperated with it at times and taken 'small' jabs while waiting for Kerb's to get there or after he leaves.

Don't get me wrong, I don't envy him at all with having to take so many stupid calls. I just wish he wouldn't write off anyone who disagrees as stupid.

you want stupid.....

In a conversation last year in re guards to Jackman giving up on plays and loafing when the play is by him or on the other side of the ice, Kerb's stated AND I QUOTE...."I don't know anything about that. I watch the puck".

Then don't bash those that watch the whole game.
I feel the same exact way about Kerbs. I love his call of the games, he has a very radio-friendly and natural voice and he doesn't have a bag of schtick like some announcers do. Plus, his calls seem much more natural and unique than our announcer on TV, John Kelly.

But when I do listen to the post game, I've noticed many of the things you said DaDitka. I get it, there are idiots out there who will call in and say Brewer sucks just on general principle, even if he happens to be playing pretty well at that time. But like you said, not everyone is "Irrational, Idiot Fan Guy." Some people do call in, rationally point out certain things, and Kerbs does tend to overreact.

Otherwise, I'd rather listen to Kerbs' calls over Kelly's any day. Much, much smoother and less robotic.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

cprice12 wrote:Strickland and "true hockey" should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Sounds like nothing more than a fluff piece to appeal to the organization.

Stuff like this ruins credibility. But then again, you have to have cred before you can ruin it. So I guess Strickland is in no danger of ruining his.

The truth is, over the past couple seasons, Jackman, at his best...has been up and down.
Missed assignments, poor passes, failure to hustle back into the zone and pickup a man, poor clearing attempts, etc.
He may look good for a coule games, but then he'll have a poor stretch.

I really, really want to like Jackman...but his inconsistent play is frustrating.
His bad shoulder prohibits him from playing the style he probably wants to, but that doesn't excuse goofball mistakes and missed assignments around the goal.

With that said, I'd still rather have Jackman than Brewer.
Jackman actually had a pretty good year last year. Problem is that Jax was being asked to do too much and not playing his game. I think with him being paired with EJ will allow Jax to play more of his style of game and hopefully be the player we all expect him to be.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote: Jackman actually had a pretty good year last year.

We are talking about Barret Jackman of the St. Louis Blues, and last year was the 09-10 season just to make sure we are all on the same page.

Cause Jackman played horrible and even he and the organization admitted it.....of course it was again because of an 'injury' that was not disclosed until after the season.

He simply doesn't have his head in the game any more (which leads to the inconsistency that Curt refers to). He doesn't appear to love hockey any more. It looks like he's just out there collecting a paycheck.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:
northwest dave wrote: Jackman actually had a pretty good year last year.

We are talking about Barret Jackman of the St. Louis Blues, and last year was the 09-10 season just to make sure we are all on the same page.

Cause Jackman played horrible and even he and the organization admitted it.....of course it was again because of an 'injury' that was not disclosed until after the season.

He simply doesn't have his head in the game any more (which leads to the inconsistency that Curt refers to). He doesn't appear to love hockey any more. It looks like he's just out there collecting a paycheck.

I know your hatred is strong for Jackman, just about every post you make that point. I recognize some of his lackings, but I don't think he is quite as bad as you seem to think.

IMO, he and Polak didn't compliment each other well...their styles are very similar. Jax will be better suited to play with EJ and concentrate on making life miserable for other players and staying closer to his end.

Just my opinion.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote: I know your hatred is strong for Jackman, just about every post you make that point.

It's not hatred at all.

Jackman was one of my favorites. I have gotten his autograph many times and have posters of him hanging in my man-cave. The problem is I attend every home game and watch every road game, and I see what he does.

Kerb's was right on one point, TV watches the puck, so if you aren't there, you're not seeing it. But you do see enough of his flaws, now imagine all this that you aren't seeing, compound the two and you'll understand the train wreck that I see.

I get mad because they are mental mistakes. Brewer is miscast as a top 4 defensman, it's our fault for expecting too much of him. Jackman should be a top two shut down defender, and in my option he is a bigger defensive liability then every other defensman on the roster besides Petro.