Morning Skate: D'Agostini promoted to scoring line

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

BY JEREMY RUTHERFORD

Link

Blues forward Matt D'Agostini walked into the team's locker room before practice this morning, looked on the board and saw that he was playing on a line with Andy McDonald and Patrik Berglund.

"I must have done something to show that I can play with those guys," D'Agostini said.

D'Agostini leads the Blues with three goals, but he has been playing, with the exception of a few shifts, on the team's fourth line. He played four games at center, but moved to right wing against Chicago Monday when center Vladimir Sobotka joined the lineup.

But in Monday's practice, Blues coach Davis Payne moved D'Agostini up with McDonald and Berglund, and he put Brad Boyes at right wing on a line with Alexander Steen and Jay McClement.

Boyes is sitting on one goal this season, and that came in the season opener. He is scoreless in the last four games, in which he's had a combined 18 shots on goal.

The Blues don't play until Friday against Chicago, so the combinations could be switched back by the end of the week. But for now, D'Agostini has a spot on one of the team's top lines.

"Hopefully get a couple of goals early, so I can show that I can play with them and stick with them," D'Agostini said. "Hopefully, it's the start of something good."

Asked about leading the Blues in goals so far, D'Agostini laughed and said, "Yeah, I don't know how long that's going to last."

Forwards

David Perron-David Backes-T.J. Oshie

Andy McDonald-Patrik Berglund-Matt D'Agostini

Alex Steen-Jay McClement-Brad Boyes

Brad Winchester-Vladimir Sobotka-B.J. Crombeen

WHO STARTS IN NET?

The Blues have back-to-back home games this weekend against Chicago and Pittsburgh. The Blackhawks and Blackhawks are both tied sixth place in goals per game (3.29). The 'Hawks are third on the power play (28 percent) and the Pens are ninth (20 percent).

With three days off before facing Chicago Friday, and another four days off after playing Pittsburgh Saturday, it's not out of the question that Jaroslav Halak could start each of the back-to-back games.

But just to play the role of head coach Davis Payne for a day, should the Blues start Halak both nights? Should Halak play against the Blackhawks and Ty Conlin face the Penguins? Or vice-versa?

I have a poll at the top of the blog asking this question, so please vote. But before you do, keep one line of statistics in mind ...

Halak vs. Pittsburgh in the 2009-10 playoffs with Montreal:

Games: 7

Won-loss: 4-3

Goals-against average: 2.38

Save-percentage: .927

HALAK NOT HAPPY WITH PENALTY

Speaking of Halak, I spoke with him briefly today about the holding-the-stick penalty he received in Monday's 3-2 overtime win over the Blues.

The officials rules that Halak held the stick of Patrick Sharp, which gave the Blackhawks a power play and they got a goal from Marian Hossa scored for a 2-1 deficit.

Halak said that it shouldn't have been a penalty, and that if you watch the video, he did not grab for the stick. According to Halak, Sharp's stick got caught in his glove and he could not get it out.

SOBOTKA LOOKING FOR HITS

Vladimir Sobotka was credited with two hits in his Blues' debut Monday, but other than that, there wasn't the amount of contact he's used to. Sobotka is returning from shoulder surgery and he admits that he has to ease back into it.

"It's going to take a few games to play the way I used to play, hits and play with some energy," Sobotka said.

Well, teammate Barret Jackman did his part in Wednesday's practice to get Sobotka ready. Jackman laid a pretty hefty hit on Sobotka and appeared to apologize after the hit. Sobotka thanked him.

"That's what I wanted," Sobotka said. "I told him, that's good. It's a good battle, and that's what I need."

DAVID PERRON CHAT

Blues forward David Perron, who scored two goals in Monday's game, will be my guest host for Thursday's Blues chat.

Perron is a big fan of social media and interacting with fans. He has a Twitter account (his name is @DP_57), where he answers a variety of questions from Blues' fans.

But tomorrow, he'll join us exclusively on STLtoday.com for approximately 1 hour. The chat will begin around 1 p.m. and end around 2 p.m.

Here is the link to ask questions:

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/vie ... c8523c110b
Please give your questions some thought. He won't be able to answer every question, and we will select the best ones in the amount of time we have.

PIETRANGELO APPEARANCE

Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will join me next Monday at Top Shooters in Columbia, Ill. We will be live on 590 THE FAN KFNS from 6-7 p.m.

It will be the first night for my new show "The Blues Beat," which will air every Monday from 6-7 on KFNS.

JR

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Morning Skate: D'Agostini promoted to scoring line

Post by SIU LAW »

WAIT A MINUTE! Playing with Andy McDonald and Patrik Berglund?!? Doesn’t Payne realize that D'Agostini is just a scrub the Blues got for the awesome-sauce laced Palushaj? I mean that trade was like forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

:cup:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

goon attack wrote::cup:
Wrong.

:cup: :cup:

DOUBLE CUPS!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

SIU LAW wrote:I mean that trade was like forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!
Nice retro quote I like it. Next time do Stripes. :plusplus:

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I like this...as long as Dapostrophe gets more than a few shifts on the top line.

Give him a few games...he's got skills. See what he can do in a game with skilled players on his line.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Yeah, I really like the way these lines look on paper.

I also thought Bergie's hot hand looked a little handcuffed the other night with the way McD and Boyes were fighting the puck.

Now you've got two of your hotter sticks on a line with last years top 'play-maker'.

And Jay centering two shooters on your third line is nice as well.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund