GDT #9: Oct 30, 2010 Blues v ATL FSMW (HD) KMOX - 7:00 PM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

GDT #9: Oct 30, 2010 Blues v ATL FSMW (HD) KMOX - 7:00 PM

Post by Winning Unlimited »

This game is not on TV in Atlanta, so everyone gets to hear JK and BF. No word on who starts in net tonight, but my guess is Halak and Pavelec. Mason got an OT win last night in Buffalo. My prediction is your ticket comes with a Big Mac tomorrow.

Blues 5
ATL 1

:letsgoblues:

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT #9: Oct 30, 2010 Blues v ATL FSMW (HD) KMOX - 7:00 PM

Post by fargoblues »

:hawkssuck:

oh, sorry. wrong sport. wait. is there even a hockey team in atlanta? there is? oh. do THEY know that? right. got it.

Blues eleventy billion
Frankly my dear the whole town don't give a damn 0.

HALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK with another SO.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

fargoblues wrote::hawkssuck:

oh, sorry. wrong sport. wait. is there even a hockey team in atlanta? there is? oh. do THEY know that? right. got it.

Blues eleventy billion
Frankly my dear the whole town don't give a damn 0.

HALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK with another SO.
Didnt you see the other post. They have 20% of the black NHL population. But they still don't have A. Nigro on the team.

Blues 4

Thrashers :notenough:

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

After this game we got SJ and Boston, and then NYR...so we should probably get 2 points here.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

STLADOGG wrote:After this game we got SJ and Boston, and then NYR...so we should probably get 2 points here.

With these teams on the queue, normally I'd advise sitting Halak against ATL. However, he's the hot hand and thanks to our stupid schedule, we have eleventy billion days for rest between games.

Blues 5 (Oshie 5 assists)
Thrashers 1 (Some ex-hawk)
Official 2011-12 sponsor of Chris Stewart

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Blues 2
Thrashers 3 (OT)

Oshie with a pair.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I am actually excited to watch a Blues game for the first time in a long while. They're playing well, and hopefully they keep it going tonight.

Blues 3
Thrashers 1
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

My concern is this. Will Atlanta tighten up, defensively, in support of Pavelec and not wanting him to face too many difficult shots in his first game back? How will that affect the Blues chances of getting off enough quality chances?

Then again, tightening up defensively can lead to gaffes. It can also lead to stupid penalties. I don't know what to think about tonights game.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Oystrick in for Cola tonight.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 78c22.html
If hockey has a position that translates well to baseball, it is defenseman. They are to a hockey team what pitchers are to a baseball team. They are especially valuable, especially vulnerable to injury and it's impossible to have too many.

Eight games into the 82-game schedule, the Blues already have had two of their starting six defensemen go down. Roman Polak suffered a severed tendon, which required surgery and promises to keep him out for months. Carlo Colaiacovo had to be helped off the ice on Thursday after taking a hit from Nashville's Jordin Tootoo. Colaiacovo is experiencing spasms in his neck and undergoing further tests. He is listed as “day to day” with an upper body issue and his return remains uncertain.

So here we are, less than four weeks removed from training camp and all the consternation over who made the roster, etc., is nearly irrelevent. Truth is, where defensemen are concerned, if you're in the mix with the top eight or nine, you could be in Peoria today, in St. Louis tomorrow.

While it's not exactly the circumstances Nathan Oystrick had in mind, he is eager to make the most of it.

“Did I want to make the team out of camp, yeah,”Oystrick said. “But I knew there were a lot of good defensemen here and it was going to be a tough battle. Obviously, (eight) games into the season they're calling a guy up. You don't want to see another guy get hurt, but on the other hand that's hockey and I have to come in and play my role and do a job.”

Oystrick will report for duty at 7 tonight against the Atlanta Thrashers. It was somewhat of a homecoming on two fronts for the 27-year old defenseman. Oystrick was back in the NHL and competing against a team for which he played 53 games in 2008-09, his most extensive major league experience.

Oystrick had four goals and 12 points for the Thrashers during that time. Last season, he did not make the team out of camp, had some injury issues and eventually was traded to Anaheim, where he got in only three games. Oyster signed with the Blues a s free agent this summer, hoping to hit the re-start button. He was leading Peoria Rivermen defensemen in scoring with three goals and seven points in 10 games when he got the callup.

Blues coach Davis Payne knows Oyster well. He watched the lefthanded-shooter perform well in training camp, and he saw more of him than he wanted last season when Payne was coaching at Peoria and Oyster was playing for Chicago.

“He torched us a few times playing in Chicago,” Payne said. “He's got a competitive nature, real good shot, pretty headsie guy, defends with a good amount of intensity and thinks the game well. He's a hockey player, and he brings pretty good energy to the room as well.”

Oystrick had seven goals and 16 assists in 43 games for Chicago last season. During the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons with Chicago, he averaged 15 goals and 45 points. He admits, after spending so much time with Atlanta two seasons ago, it has been a difficult fight to keep an NHL return address.

“It's been a little frustrating, especially last year in training camp,” said Oystrick, who played college hockey at Northern Michigan. “I had been with Atlanta the whole year and felt like I had a pretty good rookie year. I was looking forward to getting another year under my belt. So getting sent back to Chicago was kind of a blow. But there's no guarantees in hockey, especially for a guy in my situation. I mean, there's different players; Sidney Crosby obviously isn't going to Wilkes-Barre anytime soon.

“But I've got an opportunity now and I have to make the most of it. I'm excited to be here.”

Oystrick created the opportunity with his strong preseason. He made a decision on who to keep and who to send out more difficult for the Blues. The end result is, he paved the road back.

“Some of his pre-season games were very sharp,” Payne said. “His practice and his adjustments to things that we change on the go... he's ready to go in those situations. This isn't his first kick at it, so he's going to be very familiar with what goes on out there. This is an old team for him, so there will be some familiar faces, as well, so I'm sure he'll be up to it.”

Don't be surprised to see Oystrick on a power play or two. He was playing that role at Peoria.

Our Own Blues Oddities: David Perron has been more productive when he plays less. In the first four games this season, Perron played between 19-22 minutes per game and had just one assist. In the last four games, he has averaged between 16-17 minutes and has four goals and one assist.

As they say in his hometown of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Il n'a aucun sens, or it makes no sense.

The Blues had an optional skate at Scottrade Center this morning. Only 14 players were on the ice, including one goalie, Ty Conklin.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:Oystrick in for Cola tonight.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 78c22.html
Well, in that case: Blues 20, Thrashers 0

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

:cup: *
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Blues 4
Thrashers 2

Defense is gonna start to get shakey with both Roman and Cola out, hopefully Oystrick can hold his own and maybe chip in a goal.

Perron scores.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Blues goal, his fifth of the season, scored by #36, '! Assisted by #37, *!
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Where ARE all you hosers?

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Wtf!??!?!?!!?!??!

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

The defense is getting exposed tonight. Jackman looks slow compared to the Thrashers' speed, and Brewer not nearly as good without Polak or someone else to cover up for him.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

...I'm starting to think that this team might actually be pretty good...

:banana: :carrot: :cup:
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Nice comeback win. All I got to watch was OT and the shootout. What was up with the 3-1 hole we had to climb out of?

Not that it wasn't bound to happen occasionally.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Huge 2 points!!!

I can't wait to see the Blues at MSG next weekend! :letsgoblues:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great Win! The mark of a winner. Never stop skating. Win games you should win, and also win games you should lose. I think The Blues will win more games than I had expected (despite my being optimistic), and score more goals than I had expected. Steen/McClement/D'Agostini is working fine, and The Blues have 3 scoring lines, and their 4th line can also chip in on offence. The Blues can win a lot of games by keeping the puck in their opponent's zone.

Payne and Mellanby have them playing a great brand of hockey.

Congrats to Jay McClement on his first NHl hat trick.