Time to get my boy playing hockey

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Time to get my boy playing hockey

Post by deadphish »

So, my oldest is 4. We went to a free "Try Ice Hockey" at the Mills last weekend and he did OK. I mean he didn't really skate, but he wasn't afraid of the ice and crying to get outta there (so that's a good start). Anyway, he definitely couldn't just jump right into a youth hockey program I would think, so is the best thing to do to just sign him up for skating lessons? The Mills wants about $85 for 8 weeks of lessons (includes skate rental) and 4 free public session tickets.

I would never force my kids to do activities they don't want to do just because I like them, but I remember starting lessons about this age, but never moved onto a hockey program. So I guess the question is: How good a skater does a kid have to be before it's the right time to get into hockey?
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Time to get my boy playing hockey

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

deadphish wrote:So, my oldest is 4. We went to a free "Try Ice Hockey" at the Mills last weekend and he did OK. I mean he didn't really skate, but he wasn't afraid of the ice and crying to get outta there (so that's a good start). Anyway, he definitely couldn't just jump right into a youth hockey program I would think, so is the best thing to do to just sign him up for skating lessons? The Mills wants about $85 for 8 weeks of lessons (includes skate rental) and 4 free public session tickets.

I would never force my kids to do activities they don't want to do just because I like them, but I remember starting lessons about this age, but never moved onto a hockey program. So I guess the question is: How good a skater does a kid have to be before it's the right time to get into hockey?
Mine will be 3 at the first of the year, and I have been looking into programs in KC. Basically, they won't let you on a youth team at their facility until you can demonstrate skills.

The icemidwest place has the following program for kids:
Ice Midwest offers many different types of hockey programs from youth to adult. Ice Midwest has a Learn to Play Hockey program for ages three to adult. Students start in a Learn to Skate class first, where they learn the basic fundamentals of skating. After passing two of the Learn to Skate classes they graduate to a Stick and Helmet class, where they learn how to shoot, pass, stick handle, and a general knowledge of the rules of hockey. Once our students have passed the Stick and Helmet class they are ready to join the Kansas City Stars or our Adult leagues.
I would look for something similar innSTL.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

tacklemagnet
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by tacklemagnet »

Most local rinks have learn to play sessions atleast twice a year. My son will be 5 in February and he started last year. It was about 8 weeks long and the progression from start to finish was unbelievable. He did the Fall session last year in Affton. Check out www.afftonhockey.org for info, although it looks like the fall session already started. He had a blast and learned to skate as well as the basics, getting up after falling in full equipment, passing, and basic shooting.

Hope this helps a bit, Good luck guys!

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

deadphish wrote:I would never force my kids to do activities they don't want to do just because I like them,
Force him to play and then live off of him like a king for the rest of your life.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

blues22
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by blues22 »

I don't think a kid has to be a very good skater at that age to start playing hockey. Have you seen the kids that sometimes play during the intermissions at Blues games? After 8 weeks of lessons, the kid should be able to skate around the rink without help, and will probably be able to stop in some way.

Is there any rink that has hockey lessons for kids? My hometown rink had those back in the day, and those were enormously helpful. The only thing you might be cautious about is buying all the equipment too long before the kid starts playing for real. You will spend LOTS of money continually re-outfitting him as he grows. Oh, and in that vein, make sure that he really wants to play, because it is an expensive sport for a kid to just give up on.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

I think we are just gonna go with the basic "tots" skating lessons at The Mills Ice Zone to start. $85 for 8 weeks isn't terrible. Thanks for the replies, dudes.

KC Express
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KC Express »

My 5 year old is learning in the system not_a_wings_fan described. He wanted to do it on his own, and it took him very little time to pick it up. It's about $90 per quarter, but it has been worth it. He will play in the Atom league by spring. I would go that route, if I were you.

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

Agree with KC...my son is in session 2 of learn to skate, then going on to learn to play, then will get to strap it on for real in the spring...he loves it. He is 5, btw...

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

It's all the way down in Afton and we are in North County. I can't seem to find a learn to play program anywhere else. :|

Edit: Looks like Kirkwood has one that starts up again next year. I think we'll do the skating lessons first and then maybe try the LTP at Kirkwood. Man, I used to live at Kirkwood Ice Rink when I was a kid (born in '73). Did lessons there. Skated after school all the time and every weekend. Could walk from my house.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

deadphish wrote:It's all the way down in Afton and we are in North County. I can't seem to find a learn to play program anywhere else. :|

Edit: Looks like Kirkwood has one that starts up again next year. I think we'll do the skating lessons first and then maybe try the LTP at Kirkwood. Man, I used to live at Kirkwood Ice Rink when I was a kid (born in '73). Did lessons there. Skated after school all the time and every weekend. Could walk from my house.
See if you can get a hold of OS. He had his son is some pretty good programs and he's NW.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

stlbluz wrote:
deadphish wrote:It's all the way down in Afton and we are in North County. I can't seem to find a learn to play program anywhere else. :|

See if you can get a hold of OS. He had his son is some pretty good programs and he's NW.
Doesn't OS have his son out at the Mill's Ice Rink for some of that stuff?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

You also need to get him a $250 composite stick.

Because although a 4-10 year old has no skill set to actually utilize the use of such a stick, apparently it is a pre-requisite of parents everywhere to outfit their kids with pointlessly expensive equipment. :mrgreen: </rant>
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

KC Express
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KC Express »

WaukeeBlues wrote:You also need to get him a $250 composite stick.

Because although a 4-10 year old has no skill set to actually utilize the use of such a stick, apparently it is a pre-requisite of parents everywhere to outfit their kids with pointlessly expensive equipment. :mrgreen: </rant>
I made my kid's out of cardboard and crushed dreams. It works fine.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

cprice12 wrote:
stlbluz wrote:

Doesn't OS have his son out at the Mill's Ice Rink for some of that stuff?
He does. I'll see if I can dig up his # & give him a ring for info.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

My 14 month old yells "goal" when I shoot a soft puck through his legs. That's a pretty good start I think.

He could be the next Brent Johnson. I just need to teach him to smoke.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I shot OS a message on Twitter with a link to this thread.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

deadphish wrote:So, my oldest is 4. We went to a free "Try Ice Hockey" at the Mills last weekend and he did OK. I mean he didn't really skate, but he wasn't afraid of the ice and crying to get outta there (so that's a good start). Anyway, he definitely couldn't just jump right into a youth hockey program I would think, so is the best thing to do to just sign him up for skating lessons? The Mills wants about $85 for 8 weeks of lessons (includes skate rental) and 4 free public session tickets.

So here's the thing... your son doesn't have to be that good of a skater to get started. In St Peters we have a Learn to Play program that is for kids 4-8 years old and there have been plenty of parents that have brought their kids on week 1 and they had no idea how to skate, some had never been on the ice. That said, if you do that, you're basically just spending extra money on ice skating lessons so I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

Here's the link to the St. Peters LTP Program: http://www.stpetersspirithockey.net/hom ... skate-play

I believe the next 10 week session starts in January or February (it's about half way through the current session) and they have another one that starts a few weeks after that one ends. If that's something that you wanted to do, I'd recommend getting him on the ice a couple times a week between now and then. Kids get better really fast, so he'd probably be fine by then.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Depending on where in NoCo you are... the Alton and Granite City rinks might be closer for you. Twin Bridges plays out of there... here's the link for them:

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/de ... 0to%20Play
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Whoa! It's OS!

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God