Trade concept

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Trade concept

Post by Leedog »

Of course, this is contingent on the ownership situation getting resolved and the new group willing to add payroll. Maybe the Blues can take some high dollar scoring help like Spezza, Gomez, Drury, etc off a cap stressed team, but make them take Boyes back in return. Along with a young defenseman, etc. Seems like we have depth on D that will need to be moved for scoring somewhere sometime.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Trade concept

Post by glen a richter »

It's ashame Parise is injured because that could have been a distinct possibility. Still could later on in the season for a playoff push. He should be back in Februaryish, right?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

hullisgod
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by hullisgod »

Dear god please stay away from Spezza. Not sure I could cheer for that douche.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

hullisgod wrote:Dear god please stay away from Spezza. Not sure I could cheer for that douche.
Yeah and he is very streaky...it's like another Boyes but cost more.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I wouldn't change a thing on this team right now. This seems like a 100% momentum/chemistry thing right now, and they just need to let the young dogs run.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

It's good to have the cap space we have so that when we have to sign Oshie, Perron etc....we will have it.....also I don't think I can enough on how much of an improvement Brewer has been btw since this is a trade topic.
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:I wouldn't change a thing on this team right now. This seems like a 100% momentum/chemistry thing right now, and they just need to let the young dogs run.
This.

If they pull a backwards 2008-2009 and bomb the second half- then yea, turn on the green light to make some significant moves at the deadline/offseason.

But hell, if they're winning, don't change a thing.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I think the Blues long term plan should be getting their RFAs/UFAs in order, and going hard after Brad Richards this summer. He is EXACTLY what this team needs. The Blues look to be set with goaltending, defensive depth, and lines 2-4 depth. The need an offensive engine that can play center, will make the power play better, make his surrounding players better, and can win faceoffs. Brad Richards is that man.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

SIU LAW wrote:The[y] need an offensive engine that can play center, will make the power play better, make his surrounding players better, and can win faceoffs.
Absolutely :plusplus: :okman:
TW Tiger Woods TW

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

As disappointing as Boyes' offensive production has been, he's still better than Gomez or Drury, and he's half the price. He also is perfect on shootouts, so even if he isn't putting up numbers on the stat sheet, he's helping us steal an extra point every 4-5 games.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I don't think there's any need to trade depth on the blueline. If the current season is any indication, you need every bit of depth you have on the blue line.

I think an impact scorer would help this team... but an impact scorer helps EVERY team. It's a pretty obvious call.

There's nothing out there that looks attractive to me. At this point in the season, trades are something we don't need for something someone else doesn't really want. I would rather have guys that we know work in our locker room.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Trade? WTF for?

Don't f*ck with the chemistry, GOD DAMN IT!

Sincerely,

Courtnall, Ronning, Momesso, & Dirk for Butcher and Quinn, 1991

:x :x :x :x x infinity
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

The roll they are on is great, but I don't think they can sustain it without more scoring. Along with all the positive things so far this season, we are also seeing that a comeback year from Boyes isn't likely. Nor McDonald. Nor Berglund. Nor Backes, although he has other intangibles that still make him valuable. Four of our top six, are on a pace for 40 points or less. A guy who started on the fourth line is tied for the goal lead. Think Dago is gonna keep it up? One game we scored 3 goals, all from our #3 center. What did I hear during the Ranger game? The PP was one for the last 31 or something? I don't think they are desperate to make a knee jerk deal, but I think they have to be on the lookout for a difference maker forward, and they have young, cheap D help to offer that shouldn't upset the chemistry. And the earlier in the year, the better to assimilate the new guys.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Agreed 100% with Leedog. The roll they are on is because the goaltending has been fantastic.

Let's face it: Between the win against Boston and the win against the Rangers, there have really only been 2 legitimate goals. I don't count empty netters and the shootout is the shootout. Beyond that, Halak got a lot of help from the iron against Boston and Conklin got some help from a weird no-goal against NY. Bottom line is either the guys they have now start scoring more, be it even strength or on their god awful PP, or someone needs to be brought in, using the depth of organization as a chip. Someone who can either score regularly or help the other guys score regularly. We will NOT be able to withstand scoring 1 or 2 goals a game forever.

Whether this trade happens in December or in March or whenever, I don't know or care. All I know is I want someone who has a scoring touch heading into the playoffs.

Polak and Cola and Jackman will be back. Jackman could be a chip, Boyes could be a chip, Nikitin could be a chip, Berglund could be a chip. I'd trade three of those four for a guy who can find the back of the net.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

you guys are high

it's 10 games in. talk to me after 25-30 games.

the best start in franchise history speaks for itself
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

look, if there's a trade out there that makes your team better, you take it.

BUT the only reasons a "potential 40 goal scorer" is available at this point in the season is because he is broken, old, or just not that good. Teams don't just "trade" those players early in the season - and if for some reason they did it's because you gave them a pile of your future.

I just don't see anyone that is available to the blues for a price that is worth paying, so talking about potential trades is silly. Keep your blueline depth, keep your locker room chemistry, and keep working on motivating the guys who are supposed to be scoring goals for this team.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

In the concept of making the best of what you have, maybe they can jump start Boyes by moving him back to center. Even if for a while, may shake things up a bit.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Leedog wrote:In the concept of making the best of what you have, maybe they can jump start Boyes by moving him back to center. Even if for a while, may shake things up a bit.
I was thinking voodoo or something to excise the demons, but moving him back to center might help too, ya.

I think Boyes and McD are streaky guys, and much of their struggle is related to pushing too hard. Boyes has had some pretty sweet shots that have just missed, and when he gets those back on net he will be fine.

McD was our best player in the playoffs a few years back, and I would really like to see that player show up for some games in the near future. As to how to make that happen, thank goodness it isn't my job to figure it out, lol.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
Leedog wrote:In the concept of making the best of what you have, maybe they can jump start Boyes by moving him back to center. Even if for a while, may shake things up a bit.
McD was our best player in the playoffs a few years back, and I would really like to see that player show up for some games in the near future. As to how to make that happen, thank goodness it isn't my job to figure it out, lol.
Says the guy with Jackman in his sig. :lol:

AM is playing a decent game of hockey, though his stats don't always reflect his contribution.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If Boyes and Mac start scoring with some frequency, then great. But we can't count on ' to score regularly. DP will probably get his 25 goals and that's fantastic, but where's the nightly threat?

If no one has picked up the responsibility of being the guy to find the back of the net, then they should absolutely explore some sort of trade early on in 2011.