Trade concept

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Trade concept

Post by gaijin »

A deadline deal for a scorer in the final year of his contract wouldn't ruffle my feathers much. As stated before, 1-2 goals a night won't get you wins forever.

Two questions: Who might be available? Will JD and crew abandon their "improve from within" ethos and sacrifice young talent for a rental?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Why does it have to be a rental? The Devils are in terrible salary cap shape and have to shed some money somewhere. I see no reason why they wouldn't entertain the possibility of trading Parise when he's healthy again.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Because Parise is a special player. The kind you just don't trade.

I think it's more likely they try to trade someone like Rolston or Elias for basically nothing, just to shed salary.

Since we're in the West, and have cap room, I would think we would be a good trading partner for them. Who knows.

Then again, he's gonna want the big bucks next year, so who knows.

If I was the Blues, I would be trying to get Parise now, hurt or not. I would trade almost any player on this team for Parise.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

kodos wrote:Because Parise is a special player. The kind you just don't trade.

I think it's more likely they try to trade someone like Rolston or Elias for basically nothing, just to shed salary.

Since we're in the West, and have cap room, I would think we would be a good trading partner for them. Who knows.

If I was the Blues, I would be trying to get Parise now, hurt or not. I would trade almost any player on this team for Parise.
^^^^THIS^^^^
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ok, Halak for Parise?

I wouldn't go that far.

I would offer either of these packages for Parise, bearing in mind that the last thing the Devils want to do is take on more payroll:

Boyes + Strachan + Berglund + a relatively early pick-- hell, even a first rounder

or knowing that they may not want to take on Boyes' salary:

Strachan + Berglund + Bishop or Allen (Brodeur won't be able to play forever) + a relatively early pick

I think this is generous considering NJ is in no position to be choosers. They put themselves in salary cap hell, either trade gives them something they can use at a lower price.

I have a feeling about this Nikitin kid, and I don't want them to trade him. Same for Cole. If Jackman and/or Brewer leave as FA's at seasons end, these two kids could step in, plus the money saved can go to good use.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

That's way low.

It would take something like Pietrangelo and a pick. Or Cole and a first rounder, or who knows what.

But it would take one or more of our "real deal" prospects. Not a scrub.

Parise is one of the best players in the league and he's like 25.

NJ can be picky because every team in the league wants Parise. In all likelyhood, if they want to move Parise, they will want to package up some additional baggage with him to get the salary out of their system.

I still say that they will dump Elias or Rolston way way way before Parise. Those two you could probably get for almost nothing.
Last edited by kodos on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In other words, someone else they won't be able to pay and have to trade in a couple years?

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

kodos wrote:Because Parise is a special player. The kind you just don't trade.

Parise is more special than Pronger? Messier? Gretzky?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

When the Oilers traded Gretzky, that was evidence that no one is exempt from being traded for any reason, ever.

NJ has every reason to trade a guy like Parise, through their own fault.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Same as when they traded Messier. And when Lar gave away Pronger. Common bond? Money issues. Hmmm, Lou is in all kinds of cap trouble.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

For what it's worth, they're in such a shit pickle, trading Parise might not even be enough.

They'll be best served for Brodeur to call it a career and take a guy like Bishop or Allen in a package. Pare some of that payroll. They can be good again, just that the Kovalchuk contract requires them to do some fancy roster maneuvering.

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midgensa »

I feel like Boyes is going to figure things out eventually.

But of course, I never get to watch an entire game out here in D.C. ... so just bits and pieces I can find on the Interweb.

I would not be in favor of pursuing a trade right now ... after another 10-20 games or so and Boyes still struggling, then maybe we can look around.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Is parise really that good? Does he fit on this team?

And I don't think you trade stud, inexpensive, puck moving defense for offence; however, that's where our strength is. We traded D to get O before, and we still didn't win a cup. None of those guys were pie or EJ, but we still traded young D to get O.

If you really thought this was a cup team one player away from winning the big prize, maybe you trade drafts and prospects for an impact forward, but I feel like our prospects and draft have more value to the team right now.

But seriously, people, stop talking shit about trading guys we don't want for impact players. It isn't going to happen. No one is taking Jackman, Boyes, and Brewer for Ovie or the like.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Parise is really that good. He was a stud at the University of North Dakota and he's been a stud at New Jersey. He's solid, bottom line.

Would he fit in? Yes.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

I think we wait for Parise to get healthy, then make a run at him later in the season to boost a potential playoff run.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

If Parise signs an offer sheet that NJ can't match, they are awarded 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick. Anything you offer NJ will have to be better than that.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I think Parise would excel in St. Louis and make everyone on the team better, kind of like what Halak did for us...but is he worth messing up our chemistry...yes, he is the difference between a playoff contender and a champion team.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Do you ass bandits really think that the scoring just disappeared overnight? It will come back. Kariya wasn't that important.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller