GDT: Blues @ Dead Things, 6:30 PM Central, FSMW (HD), KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT: Blues @ Dead Things, 6:30 PM Central, FSMW (HD), KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

The biggest loss on this team was Polak, bottom line. He provides stability on defense which is sorely lacking now. Halak may be letting in softies and he's not free of guilt in the recent downturn, but without Polak on the ice, everyone else is just bullshitting out there.

Wonder if they're regretting not re-signing Mike Weaver right now...
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

BleednBlueFan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BleednBlueFan »

But for the most part, over the past 5 games they haven't looked good at all.
True, and this may lead to them once again not making the playoffs. It used to be so easy for teams to make the playoffs, but with the advent of expansion teams every single point counts. Let's face it, if the Blues can't keep a relatively decent win/loss record between now, and when they get healthy, the thought of the playoffs will quickly turn into a pipe dream. Despite all this I remain optimistic. Many fans have knocked Davis Payne, and consider him a substandard coach. I couldn't disagree more. I've been to a few "Practices" this year, and while in previous years I saw the players just standing around, this year has been all business. The coaches were running them through drill after drill nonstop. Davis Payne has developed a strategy that works, as evidenced by the beginning of this season, and both he, and the players have said they plan to stick to the "attack" at all times tried, and true method. Something of which I can honestly say I've NEVER seen done by any Blues team in the past, and considering the Blues play style in previous years, I welcome the new approach. Even if they once again don't make the playoffs this year, I still find the team truly exciting. Next year should be amazing, as long as they stay relatively healthy. Where some find the Blues irretrievably broken this year, I see them making progress beyond my wildest dreams. All the team needs now is some moderate tweaking of the roster.

While I love Halak, you're right, his head seems to not have been in the game these last few rounds. This may be due to him still trying to get used to his new home I don't know, but it's clear that several of those goals against could have been, SHOULD have been stopped. Brewer, as a much anticipated defense man, has been disappointing. During the game against Detroit, this was the first time I've seen him truly step up his game this year, and considering how much the Blues are paying him, this should have been his standard game from the get go. If he continues to step up his game, and actually attempts to lead his team as captain, then I say "Great! Keep it up!", otherwise they may want to consider a trade, or send him back to Peoria. The only other problem I've been seeing is the protection of our players. What few enforcers we do have, they simply have not been doing their job. Cam Jansen God love him, try though he may, he just isn't up to the task, and with Jackman out, and Backes trying to keep the offensive, this has left a void in this department. It's been refreshing to see B.J. Crombeen take on this role, and after the last few games, I think the opposing players are starting to think twice before taking a run at one of the Blues. Many say that Brewer as Captain should be the one to stand up for his team, but more often than not, he appears to be non-confrontational. Which just isn't right in my opinion. Oh, and way to go WINCHESTER!! It was great to see him get his first goal of the season against Detroit. All in all, I'm very happy with this year's team, and even though they are struggling right now, I see great things coming. :goblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Blues need 2 things right now:
1) Polak to come back
2) Tarasenko to flee Russia immediately and score at an Ovechkin-like pace.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

You think we can talk the Panthers to do a trade? Weaver for Brewer?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

BleednBlueFan wrote:
Yeah....been a fan for around 28 years now...and a die-hard fan for probably the last 25 or so.

Pretty ballsy post for your first one...not a good way to make friends.

I'm guessing he's a "one and done" kind of guy?
No, I'm not a "one, and done" kind of guy", and I apologize for my outburst. I guess I just find it depressing when all I ever see is complaining regarding the Blues performance.
That's the only reaction that their performance illicits half the time and all the time in the playoffs.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
BleednBlueFan wrote:
Yeah....been a fan for around 28 years now...and a die-hard fan for probably the last 25 or so.

No, I'm not a "one, and done" kind of guy", and I apologize for my outburst. I guess I just find it depressing when all I ever see is complaining regarding the Blues performance.
That's the only reaction that their performance illicits half the time and all the time in the playoffs.
Fact

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

They're still 9-5... let 'em play through this, get healthy, Halak will get his mojo back and we can steamroll into the playoffs.

I really don't see any reason to panic at this point. The youngsters are getting great NHL experience right now. Depth isn't worth a crap if the players don't have any NHL experience.

My main beefs right now are:

1. Halak letting in softies

2. very little puck creativity. if the d know your moves as well as you do, because you're predictable, you're making it very hard on yourself... do something different. Make a different move. try a head fake. go through the middle of the ice... be where you're not expected to be. Motherfucking shit this isn't rocket surgery.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

goon attack wrote:They're still 9-5... let 'em play through this, get healthy, Halak will get his mojo back and we can steamroll into the playoffs.

I really don't see any reason to panic at this point. The youngsters are getting great NHL experience right now. Depth isn't worth a crap if the players don't have any NHL experience.

My main beefs right now are:

1. Halak letting in softies

2. very little puck creativity. if the d know your moves as well as you do, because you're predictable, you're making it very hard on yourself... do something different. Make a different move. try a head fake. go through the middle of the ice... be where you're not expected to be. (Frank) shit this isn't rocket surgery.
Do rockets generally require surgery?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

BleednBlueFan wrote:
But for the most part, over the past 5 games they haven't looked good at all.
True, and this may lead to them once again not making the playoffs. It used to be so easy for teams to make the playoffs, but with the advent of expansion teams every single point counts. Let's face it, if the Blues can't keep a relatively decent win/loss record between now, and when they get healthy, the thought of the playoffs will quickly turn into a pipe dream. Despite all this I remain optimistic. Many fans have knocked Davis Payne, and consider him a substandard coach. I couldn't disagree more. I've been to a few "Practices" this year, and while in previous years I saw the players just standing around, this year has been all business. The coaches were running them through drill after drill nonstop. Davis Payne has developed a strategy that works, as evidenced by the beginning of this season, and both he, and the players have said they plan to stick to the "attack" at all times tried, and true method. Something of which I can honestly say I've NEVER seen done by any Blues team in the past, and considering the Blues play style in previous years, I welcome the new approach. Even if they once again don't make the playoffs this year, I still find the team truly exciting. Next year should be amazing, as long as they stay relatively healthy. Where some find the Blues irretrievably broken this year, I see them making progress beyond my wildest dreams. All the team needs now is some moderate tweaking of the roster.

While I love Halak, you're right, his head seems to not have been in the game these last few rounds. This may be due to him still trying to get used to his new home I don't know, but it's clear that several of those goals against could have been, SHOULD have been stopped. Brewer, as a much anticipated defense man, has been disappointing. During the game against Detroit, this was the first time I've seen him truly step up his game this year, and considering how much the Blues are paying him, this should have been his standard game from the get go. If he continues to step up his game, and actually attempts to lead his team as captain, then I say "Great! Keep it up!", otherwise they may want to consider a trade, or send him back to Peoria. The only other problem I've been seeing is the protection of our players. What few enforcers we do have, they simply have not been doing their job. Cam Jansen God love him, try though he may, he just isn't up to the task, and with Jackman out, and Backes trying to keep the offensive, this has left a void in this department. It's been refreshing to see B.J. Crombeen take on this role, and after the last few games, I think the opposing players are starting to think twice before taking a run at one of the Blues. Many say that Brewer as Captain should be the one to stand up for his team, but more often than not, he appears to be non-confrontational. Which just isn't right in my opinion. Oh, and way to go WINCHESTER!! It was great to see him get his first goal of the season against Detroit. All in all, I'm very happy with this year's team, and even though they are struggling right now, I see great things coming. :goblues:

To be honest, I think what we have right now is a whole lot of over analyzing.

It's not rocket surgery.
The team has been hit hard and quick with a bunch of injuries and that has greatly impacted their performance. Their play took a nose dive after those few games in a row where we lost a handful of key players.

No team in the NHL could survive losing half of their defensive group including their best defensive d-man, their two most productive forwards and a couple other depth players.

I haven't seen a lot of negativity towards Davis Payne. I think overall he's done a fine job. His record speaks for itself. But his true test will come if/when they get into the playoffs...then we'll see what he's made of. If you get out coached in the playoffs, you could be knocked out quick (see Andy Murray).
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

BleednBlueFan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BleednBlueFan »

Yeah, you're probably right. I tend to over analyze everything. LOL! Regardless, it will be interesting to see what this team is like in a couple of years. :wink:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

BleednBlueFan wrote:
Yeah, you're probably right. I tend to over analyze everything. LOL! Regardless, it will be interesting to see what this team is like in a couple of years. :wink:
I do the same thing...so do most of us on here. That's what this place is for.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

BleednBlueFan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BleednBlueFan »

I do the same thing...so do most of us on here. That's what this place is for.
Absolutely! This is why I searched for a Fan site such as this, to chat up, and discuss anything Blues related. I guess I can understand why fans get so angry. I was just brought up with the notion that a fan is supposed to support his or her favorite team through thick, and thin, no matter how bad they've been playing. Of course, this can wear pretty thin with over 30yrs of disappointment. It's as if the Blues are something akin to the "Chicago Cubs" of hockey. LOL! Regardless, like a die hard Cubs fan I'll keep cheering them on, and do my best to remain hopeful. :wink:

purple_haze
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by purple_haze »

glen a richter wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
BleednBlueFan wrote:

Fact
:plusplus:

Just hearing playoff's still gives me the chills just thinking about it especially when we got knocked out of the first round by San Jose, when they were nobodies. Somehow we came from top of the world with the president's trophy to an early exit....FRANK U TUREKKK....